Oil for Stand-by Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you recommend for a 16kw, Generac stand-by generator. It does a 5 minute self test once a week, but it could sit for months or years other than that if there's no outage. It's powered by a natural gas B&S v-twin and I reside in Michigan. The manual specifies 5w-30 synthetic.

I leaning toward M1ep. I plan to change it yearly regardless of whether there is an outage. Thanks for your thoughts.

If you're changing it yearly then there's really no way to go wrong. Any oil will last that long easily, even if your power goes out 20 times in a year for hours at a time.

Oil is cheap and you don't need very much. Your idea to upgrade the oil and then change it once a year should work just fine.

If you're really worried and have a lot of time on the gen set you could change it twice a year.

Next thing to do is add a fuel filter if there isn't one or change it to a larger one, and put something in the gas to stabilize it.

And if that isn't enough you could also detail it with Pledge Furniture polish so it will still look like new in 10 years.

Originally Posted By: jkasch
It's powered by a natural gas

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Next thing to do is add a fuel filter if there isn't one or change it to a larger one, and put something in the gas to stabilize it.

ice_cube_wtf.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I really have to ask-since the original poster clearly stated that it was a natural gas powered Briggs engine, what would you put into the gas and how would you get it in there?

And why would you need to stabilize natural gas? I've never added anything to our propane powered generator, so I'm very interested in knowing why you recommend stabilizing natural gas.

I'm not sure if you're intentionally being a smart@$$ or are completely serious, but he clearly didn't see the part where he said natural gas.

I would definitely check with Briggs & use what they recommend-I know there are special motor oils used with CNG engines, not sure if that's what you need or not?

I used to own the 15kw Generac version in my old house in Michigan. In summary:

I found the standard Mobil 1 5W30, that the manual recommends, to be a bit "overwhelmed" in a power outage of over 30 hours. At least on mine, the just under 2 qt oil capacity was consumed to the point that the unit would, cut itself off, due to low oil levels. (Especially during hot summer temperatures). At this point, you would have to physically refill the oil level, and restart . (My wife would not like to do that, if she were home alone). For shorter outages, it was OK. I read of a few other owners reported the same issue. Your newer, 16kw Generac may not have that issue.

With that in mind, I liked a bit thicker oil, for that hot, air cooled engine. Something like Mobil 1 10W30 High Mileage, Mobil 1 0W40, or splurging on Mobil 1 10W40 Motorcycle oil (good, better best). Amsoil also makes some good products.

Thanks for the inputs. Having just re-read the manual, it says I have to use their oil and filters so as to not void the warranty. While it probably won't hold up in court, I'm thinking it may not worth the hassle to try to pick my own.

If it sits a lot and with short 5 minute test runs, i'd want a hight tbn oil like an hdeo. perhaps Rotella, or amsoil hdd.

Thanks for the inputs. Having just re-read the manual, it says I have to use their oil and filters so as to not void the warranty. While it probably won't hold up in court, I'm thinking it may not worth the hassle to try to pick my own.

In that case, use the standard Mobil 1 10W30 and call it a day.

OneeEyeJack must be on the juice tonite

Use Mobil 1 5w30 like the manual calls for. Change it every couple of years. Probably only holds 1 1/2 -2 quarts or so. Change the filter with your oil change. Easy answer and good oil

ask for it for free then

usually after saying to use there oil, they them tell you what oil you can use, typically what viscosity, api rating, or etc.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I really have to ask-since the original poster clearly stated that it was a natural gas powered Briggs engine, what would you put into the gas and how would you get it in there?

It's simple, add a coffee filter inline - rolled up and stuffed in the gas line. It keeps the natural gas debris & chunks out.
grin.gif

Last edited:
We all fail to read into the details. No biggie there. A robust oil like Rotella T5 10W-30 (synthetic blend) would be acceptable even in the cold of Michigan while minimizing oil blowing past the seals. The engine has a starter so it's not like you have to go out and pull start it. 10 weight cold still has a flow point beyond -30 so it isn't a big deal.

If you want to stick to full synthetic, the Rotella T6 5W-40 would also be fine. There may be a little more usage of natural gas, but really... who is counting when it's cold and you need reliable electricity?

Originally Posted By: horse123
I'm not sure if you're intentionally being a smart@$$ or are completely serious, but he clearly didn't see the part where he said natural gas.

If he can't be bothered to completely read the original poster's post, why is he responding to it? It looks like everyone else but him both read the post and understood it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back