Wood treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been eyeing the yellow can paste wax. I have wood furniture spray, it works great...just looking to take it up a notch.

What product would work well on wood furniture where some of the finish is gone (aka. Worn off)? Im a newbie sorta and want something that will protect unfinished/raw wood from rotting. Mainly for outside furniture, but wish it not to be toxic that California has a warning on it.

Our lumber yard suggested minwax when i went in to buy johnson's buff spray for wood floors. It seemed ok to the touch and may go withthat, but it did have some heavy warnings on the can.

Btw I do not wish to stain or paint or anything like that!

While no wax is a f ix for a worn thru finish, chances are the Carnuba wax you use on your car will be just as good. First off, what finish do you currently have on your piece?

I just spray Pledge and wipe it in every once in a while, then wipe with a damp cloth sometimes. This is what I do on my indoor furniture as well and I havent felt the need to search any further....til now. Now that I have indoor furniture under my carport,I want to do something more, but, I havent ventured into polyurethane at this time. Just like on my vehicles, I dont respray or corrective polish the, i just do the basics-wash, wax, clay etcetera.

I really like this outdoor desk/dresser, rain really never hits it, but dust, cobwebs and the various insects/creeping things of Mississippi do have a go at it sometimes.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
+1 on the Pledge, works under the hood on your car, too.

^^Yep!! Like a charm.

I just picked up some Dutch Amish wood milk. I think they are all right! Do you think the Amish are really involved in the making of this product? I consider them Orthodoxy.

I tossed that bottle.

I now have Minwax paste finishing wax and am having buyer remorse. Since at first I thought the SCJ paste would be safer on fumes then came across oils. This, I think, is what I have been seeking. On the How-to page they have a topic of 'revitalizing older furniture without refinishing'. That is what I need for old or worn and weathered wood that is beginning to dryrot.

Any recommends on an oil that is 'light to low toxicity' for breathing and absorbing into hands, soaks into the wood to 'wet' the dried out rotting wood that could be used inside of buildings without off-gassing and such.

Basically, what is the most you can do without refinishing/applying polyurethane? And, which product will safely do so? Safely as in, low toxics, forgiveness of mis-application, et cetera.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Ive been eyeing the yellow can paste wax. I have wood furniture spray, it works great...just looking to take it up a notch.

What product would work well on wood furniture where some of the finish is gone (aka. Worn off)? Im a newbie sorta and want something that will protect unfinished/raw wood from rotting. Mainly for outside furniture, but wish it not to be toxic that California has a warning on it.

Our lumber yard suggested minwax when i went in to buy johnson's buff spray for wood floors. It seemed ok to the touch and may go withthat, but it did have some heavy warnings on the can.

Btw I do not wish to stain or paint or anything like that!

First, a photo would help.
Second, Indoors or out? The mention of "rotting" leads me to believe out. OK...protected or not? Sun or shade?
Third, Ca. has a warning on EVERYTHING...even tap water. It appears you're over-reacting to the labels
Fourth, given your last criteria, you're mostly out-of-luck. You need a magician, not a finisher!

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I tossed that bottle.

I now have Minwax paste finishing wax and am having buyer remorse. Since at first I thought the SCJ paste would be safer on fumes then came across oils. This, I think, is what I have been seeking. On the How-to page they have a topic of 'revitalizing older furniture without refinishing'. That is what I need for old or worn and weathered wood that is beginning to dryrot.

Any recommends on an oil that is 'light to low toxicity' for breathing and absorbing into hands, soaks into the wood to 'wet' the dried out rotting wood that could be used inside of buildings without off-gassing and such.

Basically, what is the most you can do without refinishing/applying polyurethane? And, which product will safely do so? Safely as in, low toxics, forgiveness of mis-application, et cetera.

No offense, but you really are all-over-the-map! Most furniture finishing products DO emit fumes and are not necessarily good to get on your hands. That's why we use gloves. "Dried out rotting wood" may be far too gone to do anything with. I think you're asking too much from any product and this project is far beyond your skill level. Besides, it sounds as though you're offended by the very products used. If true, then don't use them, breathe them, touch them or expose yourself to them in any way!

However, that also means you'll have to live with the consequences of that decision as well. There is no free lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back