Don't Buy Avast Anti Virus With Your Credit Card !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don"t buy Avast anti virus with your credit card If you must buy an anti virus use a prepaid card because they play games when they automatically renew for the FULL price. Avast scammed $50.00 on my credit card and their service is not really that good according to my IT guy.
He said the free stuff is just as good and with Avast there are always lots of pop ups trying to upsell....Best bet is to stay away from Avast especially when yo can get McAfee for a lot less and it does so much more and you can use it in unlimited amount of devices not like Avast.

I went through something similar today with a vision care provider that would not cancel my policy (I no longer need it) and said they'd keep billing my credit card monthly.

I was not a happy camper and I went on and canceled that card and reached out to the powers that be at that provider for an explanation.

...it's 2015

People still don't understand this "scam"?

Things auto renew, read the fine print, and cancel it.

Calling it a "scam" and going all disgruntled consumer isn't really relevant anymore

People need to be willing to pay if they get a service. Buy ESET or similar from Amazon. It costs more to renew than a new license in many cases.

From what I have read, the free ones are just OK, many of the purchased ones are better.

Same for newspapers. Someone has got to pay for the reporters to do their work. I pay $3.99 for online NY Times as I ready many of the articles.

The real bargain was Malwarebytes Lifetime which I got a couple of years ago.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Calling it a "scam" and going all disgruntled consumer isn't really relevant anymore

I have the same pet peeve about folks talking about "speed traps". They're not "traps" -- the speed limit is clearly marked. Sure, it may reduce from 55 to 25, but it's not a "trap". You have the choice, and the ability, to heed it or not.

Same with automatic renewals -- it's always in the "contract" or terms of service agreed to at the time of purchase.

I've been using the free version of Avast on a couple of machines for years with no issues. For home use, what more do you get with the paid version?

More recently I installed a free antivirus called Avira that seems really good. It gets good reviews on the geek sites like Cnet.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Don"t buy Avast anti virus with your credit card If you must buy an anti virus use a prepaid card because they play games when they automatically renew for the FULL price. Avast scammed $50.00 on my credit card and their service is not really that good according to my IT guy.
He said the free stuff is just as good and with Avast there are always lots of pop ups trying to upsell....Best bet is to stay away from Avast especially when yo can get McAfee for a lot less and it does so much more and you can use it in unlimited amount of devices not like Avast.

Dude! You never read the fine print. I'll bet you get scammed a-lot.

Avast is fine. Just not in my Top-3.

Besides, a couple of us told you weeks and months ago to get Avira instead. Now you're complaining..... go figure!

Last edited:
i don't get scammed a lot and i did not have it on auto renew.. It's not a lot of money but i am sure they will want to give my money back soon.. In the meantime it will be fun. Everyone said to use something better than avast and some of the free stuff is a lot better also according to some key people i talked to.

I know Avast! does auto renew to all of their licenses and this reminded me to cancel the auto renew on one of my licenses since im no longer using it.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i don't get scammed a lot and i did not have it on auto renew.. It's not a lot of money but i am sure they will want to give my money back soon.. In the meantime it will be fun. Everyone said to use something better than avast and some of the free stuff is a lot better also according to some key people i talked to.

If you pay for it with CC it is on autorenew. You have to manually cancel it.

Also you can get eset or kaspersky for 0-10$ per license frequently. I havent "renewed" or purchased an online license in at least 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back