Microguard cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microguard off of our 04 Impala, little over 4000 on the filter. Looks like it did a good job even for a e-core fiber end cap jobber!

This was my last one from when they were handing out the $5 off $10 purchases a couple years ago. I have 4 Wix made Microguards in line for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As noted, this MGL was one of the but very brief time frame Champ/(fram) Rank Group made ecores before O'R went to Wix.

4k miles no filter torture test, but this look fine.

One positive imo for this ecore is the bypass is in the block, so no combo valve is used, just a nitrile adbv. That and the pleating looks relatively tight and uniform. Not all ecores posted here have looked that way.

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Are Microgards essentially = Napa ProSelects then?

Nah, the Microgards are equal to Napa Silvers. ProSelects are Napa's lowest tier jobbers, usually they come in large packs for fleet usage.

Napa ProSelect = (Maybe some other off-brand)?
Napa Silver = Microgard.
Napa Gold = Wix.
Napa Platinum = Wix XP.

~ Triton

Until May of this year, I worked for Napa since 1990. Napa ProSelect and Silver are the exact same filter other than the markets and price points. Napa needed an entry level filter for the retail market(Silver) and one for the commercial side (PS). The PS are available in both box and bulk pack with most being sold to accounts in bulk packed cases of 12. Lower price point vs Silver (for accounts) due to market, and shear volume purchased by the store and the end user. Common sku's were sold in the 1.59 to 1.69 range in bulk form to large accounts in our store group.

Microgard = Silver = Wix Pro Tec = Parts Master

Dave

Originally Posted By: bmod305
Until May of this year, I worked for Napa since 1990. Napa ProSelect and Silver are the exact same filter other than the markets and price points. Napa needed an entry level filter for the retail market(Silver) and one for the commercial side (PS). The PS are available in both box and bulk pack with most being sold to accounts in bulk packed cases of 12. Lower price point vs Silver (for accounts) due to market, and shear volume purchased by the store and the end user. Common sku's were sold in the 1.59 to 1.69 range in bulk form to large accounts in our store group.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the clarification.

$1.59 sounds like a great deal for a good quality jobber-level filter.

You can certainly pay more and get less.

Dave

Oh good, that means you might be able to answer a question regarding the ProSelect and Silver filters that I had...

Which filters use the combo-valve?

http://www.wixconnect.com/assets/bulletin.wix.protec.combo.valve.final.pdf

Do only ProSelect filters (and Wix Pro Tec filters) use them, or, do some Silvers have it, too?

~ Triton

Quote:
...Which filters use the combo-valve?...

...Do only ProSelect filters (and Wix Pro Tec filters) use them, or, do some Silvers have it, too?.....

Some Napa Silver use combo valves. No idea how it's determined which Silver's get a combo valve and which get Wix's separate adbv and traditional coil spring thread end bypass like the Wix' made for' MGL 51516 posted recently in the link. And it's doubtful Wix would explain that decision process.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3776995/1

Below is a link to a Silver application showing pics of that application using a combo valve.

The standard Wix/Napa Gold 'automotive application' filters use the traditional thread end coil spring bypass, and 'some' dome bypass applications. Have seen one Wix 'OPE application filter' posted here which uses a combo valve.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3254721/Re:_Napa_Silver_

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
...Which filters use the combo-valve?...

...Do only ProSelect filters (and Wix Pro Tec filters) use them, or, do some Silvers have it, too?.....

Some Napa Silver use combo valves. No idea how it's determined which Silver's get a combo valve and which get Wix's separate adbv and traditional coil spring thread end bypass like the Wix' made for' MGL 51516 posted recently in the link. And it's doubtful Wix would explain that decision process.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3776995/1

Below is a link to a Silver application showing pics of that application using a combo valve.

The standard Wix/Napa Gold 'automotive application' filters use the traditional thread end coil spring bypass, and 'some' dome bypass applications. Have seen one Wix 'OPE application filter' posted here which uses a combo valve.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3254721/Re:_Napa_Silver_

Thanks. Sorry to ask this, but how would I be able to find out if certain specific filters do, or do not, use the combo valve?

If you don't know, it's totally fine. But these are the filters (of the Napa Silver lineup/Microgard lineup) that would fit the vehicles my parents and I own:

SFL 31372 / MGL51372 - (For my F-150)
SFL 31515 / MGL51515 - (For mom's Explorer)
SFL 31040 / MGL51040 - (For dad's LeSabre)
SFL 37099 / MGL57099 - (For our Camaro)
SFL 31348 / MGL51348 - (For our Dixie Chopper and for our Husqvarna [B&S engine] mowers)
SFL 31334 / MGL51334 - (For our Cub Cadet [3-cyl Mitsubishi diesel] tractor)

(And yes, if you're wondering, I have the numbers memorized. Lol.)

~ Triton

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

....Thanks. Sorry to ask this, but how would I be able to find out if certain specific filters do, or do not, use the combo valve?

One way would be to look at the specific application prior to purchase, which would be good practice anyway. If you don't see a metal coil spring at the thread end, (or visible dome end protrusion) looking down the centertube then you likely have a combo valve application. An exception would be for older GM's which use a block bypass and spec no filter integral bypass. The LaSabre and maybe the Camaro application you list, would just have a nitrile adbv.

The other way would be to do a google search of this site and click the image button. Example the first one you list the MGL 51372 has been posted uses a combo valve. I'd assume the equivalent Silver application is the same.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3546565/Oriellys_MGL51372_cut_open

The 51515 shows a combo valve in the AutoExtra application in a google search.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2182655

The NPS 21334 shows traditional Wix thread end bypass in a google search.

Dave

Very interesting to see the Silver and PS are the same. So do they have the same pleat count too?

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: Triton_330

....Thanks. Sorry to ask this, but how would I be able to find out if certain specific filters do, or do not, use the combo valve?

One way would be to look at the specific application prior to purchase, which would be good practice anyway. If you don't see a metal coil spring at the thread end, (or visible dome end protrusion) looking down the centertube then you likely have a combo valve application. An exception would be for older GM's which use a block bypass and spec no filter integral bypass. The LaSabre and maybe the Camaro application you list, would just have a nitrile adbv.

The other way would be to do a google search of this site and click the image button. Example the first one you list the MGL 51372 has been posted uses a combo valve. I'd assume the equivalent Silver application is the same.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3546565/Oriellys_MGL51372_cut_open

The 51515 shows a combo valve in the AutoExtra application in a google search.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2182655

The NPS 21334 shows traditional Wix thread end bypass in a google search.

Thank you very much sayjac! I appreciate your help!

Does anyone know if there have been any reported cases of the combo valves causing any issues? I know a lot of people don't like them, but I don't see much of a reason to fear them. Seems like they would work fine to me.

~ Triton

They are the same exact filter other than packaging and the part number. ProSelect start with a 2 and Silver start with a 3 i.e. 21040 and 31040 are the same exact internal construction. I don't know how to be more clear. This is no difference.

Combo valve-never an issue for our store group. We simply never had any returns or complaints on it in all my years. Please remember one bad experience on a website isn't a valid sample size. We averaged one 5 pallet shipment every two weeks from Wix with 2 pallets of just MP (bulk packaged) ProSelect filters for accounts. Never took any back other than an account updating his stock level or coverage.

Dave

Last edited:
They are the same exact filter other than packaging and the part number. ProSelect start with a 2 and Silver start with a 3 i.e. 21040 and 31040 are the same exact internal construction. I don't know how to be more clear. This is no difference.

Combo valve-never an issue for our store group. We simply never had any returns or complaints on it in all my years. Please remember one bad experience on a website isn't a valid sample size. We averaged one 5 pallet shipment every two weeks from Wix with 2 pallets of just MP (bulk packaged) ProSelect filters for accounts. Never took any back other than an account updating his stock level or coverage.

Dave

Well the internals may be the same, but the baseplates for those filters you mentioned are different (at least the Napa site would make it seem so).

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Oil-Filter-Silver-/_/R-SFL31040_0327198843

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...1040_0274606548

~ Triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back