FL-910S off Focus ST 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just cut open my first filter to see what's going on in one of these things. This filter looked great inside. I put a Royal Purple on to replace it only because Fram Ultras are not carried on Amazon for this application. I will switch to Ultras after this just due to cost savings. Car has 10k on it. In this high performance application I just want a filter that will flow a little better and filter a little better. I am super impressed with the construction of this filter for under $4.

17l07DO.jpg

onCU65h.jpg

3cWtBVJ.jpg

O70sTGN.jpg

szyZaja.jpg

Originally Posted By: robo339
I would stick with the motorcraft if ur looking at cost savings that filter is "flowing and filtering" just fine

I agree. Why not just stay with MC?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I would stick with the motorcraft if ur looking at cost savings that filter is "flowing and filtering" just fine

Just wait for the it's a "high performance engine" sentence lol

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Just wait for the it's a "high performance engine" sentence lol

There really is no reason to change beyond "because I want to". I'm going to be pushing longer UOAs than 5k, probably 7500 miles and it gives me a little more piece of mind running a filter that's designed to go longer.

I'm not in a position where $6 for a better oil filter is going to prevent me from eating or negatively effect my financial position in life. Sure the MC will definitely be good enough for the the life of the engine, but why not use slightly better if it can be afforded? Cars are one of my hobbies and enthusiasts tend to spend more on hobbies that what is deemed necessary by most.

Originally Posted By: quantim0

There really is no reason to change beyond "because I want to". I'm going to be pushing longer UOAs than 5k, probably 7500 miles and it gives me a little more piece of mind running a filter that's designed to go longer.

I'm not in a position where $6 for a better oil filter is going to prevent me from eating or negatively effect my financial position in life. Sure the MC will definitely be good enough for the the life of the engine, but why not use slightly better if it can be afforded? Cars are one of my hobbies and enthusiasts tend to spend more on hobbies that what is deemed necessary by most.

The MC filters are designed to go well beyond 5K. They are spec'd to go over 10k.

As for something "better," that is obviously a relative term. What "better" are you looking for? I think MCs are around 95%@20um filtering efficiency so that is pretty good.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

The MC filters are designed to go well beyond 5K. They are spec'd to go over 10k.

As for something "better," that is obviously a relative term. What "better" are you looking for? I think MCs are around 95%@20um filtering efficiency so that is pretty good.

I have seen 93%@20um thrown around a few times and Ultras are 99% at that particle size. Will it make an actual difference? Most likely not, but it makes me feel better, so here we are.

After cutting this 910s I would never tell someone to not use a MC in their car, I'd just prefer something that seems better to me.

Maybe it is just the photos, but the filter seems to be fairly "gunked up" for a 5K OCI on a car that has 10K total mileage, does it not?

Purolator made filter right?
If so, it looks great compared to what we have been used to see here in BITOG. Nice Puro.

Last edited:
You live in Florida why don't you just drive to walmart and pick up the ultra?

They were out of stock and I just threw the RP on my Amazon order for Castrol 0w-40

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Maybe it is just the photos, but the filter seems to be fairly "gunked up" for a 5K OCI on a car that has 10K total mileage, does it not?

I didn't drain the oil out of the filter before I cut it. I totally didn't' think about it, so there's a lot of residual oil left in the media and I cut with a dremel so it wasn't exactly the cleanest cut in terms of debris.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Do you think bud_one's filter looked like this one before he cleaned it?

Was this oil change the factory fill?

Oil change was PP 5w-30

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I didn't drain the oil out of the filter before I cut it. I totally didn't' think about it, so there's a lot of residual oil left in the media and I cut with a dremel so it wasn't exactly the cleanest cut in terms of debris.
I think this is what I am seeing. Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back