Shell presentation on oil, economy, and future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

One suggestion: Don't quote technical papers unless you have read and studied them.

Uh huh...Can't do that, I'm afraid. I do a lot of proof-reading and peer-review work, some of it ghost-written. If I restricted myself to critiquing stuff I was actually qualified in, I wouldn't work much. However, generally I find a little logic goes a long way.

That said, if y'all want to limit the discussion to qualified commentators (which I obviously aint, I'm an ex-biologist, ex-network engineer, ex-patriate pretend English teacher), then fair enough, I'll get me coat.

As a parting shot, I'll just say that I don't think your statement "spiders don't fly" is accurate, but I suppose it depends on how you define flight.
smile.gif

Gorham (2013) http://arxiv.org/pdf/1309.4731v1.pdf

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Solarent

The more that the lubricant becomes a design choice by the OEM's, I think we will also see them wanting to control more the kind of engine oil that goes in. In order to do that in North America, it will require free or included oil changes from the dealership - which is something some dealers are already pushing for. I just picked up a new Explorer Sport and they offered to give me a deal on a 5 year service plan which included all my basic maintenance. (Oil changes,filters etc)

Hooking the consumer in to the dealerships is a long-established strategy, because dealership servicing is a major profit source.

Previously I'm told its been achieved by things like proprietary diagnostic software/hardware, changed regularly to freeze out smaller independent workshops.

It makes perfect sense that some manufacturers would wish to extend this approach to lubrication, but its not necessarily an entirely positive development from the punters perspective.

Very perceptive and I couldn't agree more that it isn't necessarily positive. I would take it a step further and declare it to be an infringement .

Think of squeezing out the last few drops of milk out of a well milked cows teat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back