lightweight wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, looking for some lightweight wheels.

Bolt pattern 6x5.5 which is also 6x139.7
Need an offset close to "0"

I'm looking for OEM lightweight wheels. I know GM makes some OEM forged aluminum wheels. I don't know about Toyota or anybody else that uses the bolt pattern.

Anything out there? I'm also open to lightweight aftermarket wheels as well. Just looking for something I can grab on craigslist or ebay for cheap.

Not sure what the application is - but the Kia Sedona also uses that bolt pattern. Noticed when I saw one of those rocking some old Chevy truck 6 lug wheels!

They didn't stick out terribly far so I am guessing they are close to what you need.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Diameter would be good to know...

Right now I have stock 16" wheels. 15s are too small. I wouldn't mind going up in diameter if I found a good deal on the wheels or if the wheel is super light weight.

I don't really want to go above a 20inch wheel and I'm not really sure I want to go up that high. But I am open to all size possibilities.

Eww. 20" and lightweight?

I'm guessing its for a 1999 Trooper?

Stick to what you have and save your cash. Bigger wheels are heavier. Lighter ones are expensive. You have a problem in that you want the opposite of each. Good luck in your search.

But seriously 16" is fine. Your tires are cheaper and more comfy. You can't talk about "handling" performance in your desires to run dubs on your Trooper. No. Just no.

Okay, just looking at your other topics too - first car? You seem teenaged-overly-enthusiastic. Seriously, save your $ and don't buy big, shiny, "rims". Or a filter bypass setup. Etc.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Eww. 20" and lightweight?

I'm guessing its for a 1999 Trooper?

Stick to what you have and save your cash. Bigger wheels are heavier. Lighter ones are expensive. You have a problem in that you want the opposite of each. Good luck in your search.

But seriously 16" is fine. Your tires are cheaper and more comfy. You can't talk about "handling" performance in your desires to run dubs on your Trooper. No. Just no.

Okay, just looking at your other topics too - first car? You seem teenaged-overly-enthusiastic. Seriously, save your $ and don't buy big, shiny, "rims". Or a filter bypass setup. Etc.
33.gif

If you don't have something helpful, constructive, or positive to say. Then please just keep your comments to yourself.

I only said I would be willing to go up to twenty because a buddy of mine has a 2012 sierra with some wheels that are very lightweight....however the offset is wrong. And as I said I'm not even sure I would go up to twenty.

I'm not looking for bigger wheels for performance. I'm not looking for lighter wheels for performance. This is my road trip vehicle. It is not my daily driver. I want to take some weight off the wheels to improve gas mileage. I also want new wheels to improve the stance of the vehicle. And if I'm looking for wheels to improve stance, I might as well go lightweight anyways...Since that's what I want!

I wanted a bypass filter because Troopers burn oil and I wanted to add another quart to the system, and keep the oil clean to prevent the oil burning from getting worse.

This is not my daily driver and when I do drive this its for long trips. (Ex: Texas to Nevada)
This is not my first car, nor am I a teenager.

If you don't have something helpful, constructive, or positive to say. Then please just keep your comments to yourself.

Constructive:
lighter weight wheels for a road trip vehicle will NEVER save you more gas than they cost you!

Freeing up rotating weight is helpful for changing speed - i.e. accelerating and braking. When you're cruising down the highway at a near constant speed, lightweight wheels do no better for saving you gas than heavier ones. Inertia. You will not be able to see one dime in gas savings (the theoretical savings, if any, would be so small that you could never measure it).

What does "stance" mean on an Isuzu Trooper anyways?
33.gif

Seriously. That was constructive and truthful; but not the positive advice you want to hear, so you won't listen to it. Your money is much better spent on other items than bypass filters and wheels. Air up your tires to a higher PSI and you'll save more gas than lightweight wheels.

First, OE wheels tend to be heavier than replacement market wheels. That's because OE wheels have to pass a whole battery of tests each OEM requires.

- AND -

Each replacement market wheel will have the weight as part of the specs.

So If you do the research, you will find the answer to your questions.

There are light OE wheels as well, some Miata's have 11 lb 14" rims and even my Focus has 15 lb 15". You just have to search for them, although for 16-17" SUV rims, it may be hard to find online anyone who's bothered to weigh any OE rims, the rim weight isn't going to change anything for a daily driver.

I can't really help you with the wheel search, but I wanted to throw in that even for the same weight, I believe a larger wheel of hypothetically the same weight as a smaller wheel will perform worse, at least acceleration-wise, due to the location of the weight.

I think that the lightest, smallest wheel you can find (probably a 16") would be the best bet (plus keep the better ride quality for road trips).

Then, pair that with a decent LRR tire.

I replaced my Element's wheels (~20#) with RSX wheels (~16#) (same diameter), then put on Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia tires (23#). I was surprised to see the range in weight for the same sized tires, ranging from 23# to 30# for my size. The Toyos I took off were 28#, so I estimate that I saved up to 9# per corner (48# to 39#).

Ride quality is definitely better, but I think that's the tires. I like to think that the acceleration is better too, but that might be in my head. I haven't driven on the new wheel/tire combo for long enough to have enough gas mileage data for comparison yet (only 10k on the new set), but so far it is positive.

I know people will say that this whole ordeal will cost more than the money saved on gas, but cars are a fun hobby.

Wheel weight is important. The "feel" of my '07 Corolla changed dramatically when I swapped the 21# steel wheels out for a set of 14# alloys off a same-year Prius. The car felt so much lighter on its feet. It was a real joy to drive.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I can't really help you with the wheel search, but I wanted to throw in that even for the same weight, I believe a larger wheel of hypothetically the same weight as a smaller wheel will perform worse, at least acceleration-wise, due to the location of the weight.

I think that the lightest, smallest wheel you can find (probably a 16") would be the best bet (plus keep the better ride quality for road trips).

Then, pair that with a decent LRR tire.

I replaced my Element's wheels (~20#) with RSX wheels (~16#) (same diameter), then put on Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia tires (23#). I was surprised to see the range in weight for the same sized tires, ranging from 23# to 30# for my size. The Toyos I took off were 28#, so I estimate that I saved up to 9# per corner (48# to 39#).

Ride quality is definitely better, but I think that's the tires. I like to think that the acceleration is better too, but that might be in my head. I haven't driven on the new wheel/tire combo for long enough to have enough gas mileage data for comparison yet (only 10k on the new set), but so far it is positive.

I know people will say that this whole ordeal will cost more than the money saved on gas, but cars are a fun hobby.

Cars are a fun hobby!
I've put lightweight wheels on a car before. Made a difference in gas mileage. Not huge, but enough to matter.

This is my build. I'm doing it the way I want. Lightweight wheels will help with gas mileage. They can help with "off roading" too, which i do in the trooper as well.

The friend of mine with the sierra had twenty inch somethings on it. He got a really good deal on some OEM wheels that were much lighter. The truck rides a little different. Not a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back