98 Chevy Truck Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if my brake booster could be going or if I have a vacuum leak? Brake pedal feels softer and hearing a hissing sound when I depress the brake. Hissing stops after pedal is depressed about halfway. But if I depress the brake 1/4 of the way and hold it there with foot it will continue to hiss like air is blowing somewhere. I need to have family member hold brake in so I can figure out where it is coming from. I have also noticed that when I stop the truck with pedal depressed, put into park and turn key off the brake pedal forcefully pushes back out but maybe it has always done that and I just never noticed. Seems to stop ok although a couple times here in the driveway it seemed like brakes didn't work well and then all of a sudden were "grabby". Sorry for the poor explanation but something is different. I don't drive the truck often. Fluid level may be a touch low so plan to fill the master.

Yes, I had to replace both front lines and a 6 ft. piece of the rear line last winter. I'm watching for fluid leaks but wonder if it isn't my booster. I noticed that if I depress the brake pedal very slowly (for 3-4 seconds) the rpm's on the truck go from idle (600 rpm) to 750 rpm then back to 600 and 750 again and finally to 600.

Got a brake booster from Rockauto for less than $90 and I am back in business!! Hardest part was getting that clip off of the brake pedal that holds the booster rod and brake light switch.

Originally Posted By: wolfehunter
Got a brake booster from Rockauto for less than $90 and I am back in business!! Hardest part was getting that clip off of the brake pedal that holds the booster rod and brake light switch.

Wipe the inside of the old booster to see if it is damp. Leaking master cylinders are the usual cause of booster failure. If it is damp and you don't replace the master cylinder, the new booster won't last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back