AC Delco E-Core filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprite1741
If some of you want to run purolator synthetics and support a company which is knowingly flooding the market with inferior filters that is your choice. If they don't care about their pure 1 or classics what makes you think they care about their synthetics. I wouldn't trust them not to cheapen up the synthetic line in the future. Next to no name imported and other counterfeit filters purolator is a name I don't trust and they will never see my dollars. I prefer Wix or NAPA, but I have run some ecores since the Super-tech days. Never had a problem with them.

Purolator won't admit there is an issue. Doing so opens them up for a possible lawsuit. All they can do is quietly fix the issue. I doubt they've had any noticable drop in sales as most folks don't frequent the forums, thus have no idea of the problems.

I think it is still safe to use some Puros. I wouldn't have any problems using the 14612 for my Q50 as those filters aren't known to be problematic. I would avoid the 14610 as there have been several failures documented on this board.

I agree with you on the Wix or NAPA. Another one to consider is Parts Master (a Wix clone).

Run the Fram Ultra XG 10575, the Amsoil EAO17 or the AC Delco PF63. The PF63 still exists I believe. I saw the PF63 at Walmart.

GM has a bulletin out stating that you can run the longer PF63 with no issues if the PF48 is not available. My car calls for the PF48 filter, but I run the bigger PF63 equivalent in the Fram and Amsoil lines. I am currently running the Amsoil EAO17 filter as it is bigger than the Fram XG 10575 filter.

Forget the e-core AC Delco oil filters to be on the safe side. Seems like there are unexplained new GM engine failures out there that may be attributed to the e-core media design tearing and destroying engine internals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Run the Fram Ultra XG 10575, the Amsoil EAO17 or the AC Delco PF63. The PF63 still exists I believe. I saw the PF63 at Walmart.

GM has a bulletin out stating that you can run the longer PF63 with no issues if the PF48 is not available. My car calls for the PF48 filter, but I run the bigger PF63 equivalent in the Fram and Amsoil lines. I am currently running the Amsoil EAO17 filter as it is bigger than the Fram XG 10575 filter.

Forget the e-core AC Delco oil filters to be on the safe side. Seems like there are unexplained new GM engine failures out there that may be attributed to the e-core media design tearing and destroying engine internals.

Do you have a link to this GM bulletin?

Originally Posted By: stchman
I have a stash of AC Delco PF48 oil filters for my Silverado, but it appears that AC Delco has switched virtually every oil filter to the [censored] E-core design. The PF48 was replaced by the PF48E.

After my stash runs out I plan to use Purolator L12222, they can be had to $3.30 at the local Walmart in my area.

Wix, NAPA Gold, Carquest Blue or Fram Tough Guard

Originally Posted By: stchman

Do you have a link to this GM bulletin?

Here ya go straight from GM Global Connect:

Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help

Document ID: 2597264
#PIP4889: Engine Break In Oil Filter Number PF48 From New Delivery - Not The Same As The Service Number PF63 In Owners Manual - (Mar 8, 2011)
Subject: Engine Break In Oil Filter number PF48 From New Delivery - Not The Same As The Service number PF63 In Owners Manual

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that the oil filter # the engine came from the factory with is not the same # required for service per the owners manual and gm parts catalog. Engine was delivered with AC Delco PF48 and Service Oil Filter is AC Delco PF63

Recommendation/Instructions:
The PF63 filter has the same high quality attributes as the PF48 with but is 22mm longer which will provide an additional 22 mm of media filtration material. There will also be additional filtration protection during high mileage oil change intervals. The PF63 filter is a NEW release for the 2011 model year. These 2011 engines will be built with a break in oil filter of PF48 with service replacement being PF63.

The PF63 filter can be used on all M/Y vehicles if the PF48 is the service filter.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Last edited:

Do you have a link for these unexplained engine failures and how they are attributed to the e-core filter destroying internals?

The engine failures were suspected to be attributed to the new oil filter design as that was the only change made to the engines when they went from R&D to production. They are still investigating the failures and we will know soon enough. At this point, they are simply suspected. I know I am not taking a chance on my GM engines.

Does this in any way relate to the Vette engine troubles that Car & Driver had, attributed to filter failures? I wish GM had left well enough alone. AC Delco was a very serviceable filter for plenty of applications, and saved me a lot of money when I was a kid.

Speaking as somebody who ran an e-core on my previous Chevy pickup, I did it once and that was enough. I feel fine about the plastic cage holding up under pressure. The trouble in my case was that I accidentally over-tightened the filter, so gwtting it off was a chore. The plastic cage doesn't offer the abilty to just stick a screwdriver or something through it like a metal cage does. It's too weak and flimsy. So I'll never run an e-core again just for that reason if nothing else.

Good post cheesie, for I went to the oil filter school that taught to tighten an extra 1/4 turn with a filter wrench, after hand-tightening. Removing my used filters sometimes compresses the outer can a little. What helps is using a little wheel bearing grease on the gasket, instead of 5W-30 oil.

Last edited:
My CTS-V came from the factory with the AC Delco PF48 oil filter. I am now running an Amsoil EAO17 oil filter which is the AC Delco PF63 equivalent. It doesn't hang below the oil pan at all. In fact, I could run a bigger oil filter and still have room before it would hang below the oil pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back