ATT/Yaha Rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I want to create two more email addrs as throw-aways. My main addr was through my ADSL provider, SBC before they went ATT. They then assimilated yahoo and dumped my email handling onto them. NOW the line is so blurred, I don't where one starts and the other ends.

After #$%^! with it for 30min. I call ATT, get xnsfrd a few times and wind up with some guy who just further ads to the confusion: He doesn't want to listen, just feed me his script.

He DOES mention that I can create sub email accts via ATT (which I didn't realize). After wading through the confusion of just what "Member ID" means (my phone number? My phone number + 4 secret digits found on my bill? or my email address), I finally get to a page that wants a lot of info about me (for a stupid throw-away email addr??? WTH?). As I'm typing in a rather strong 7-digit PS, I'm told it's not allowed. When I querry the rep, he says the only symbols allowed are _ and - that's it!!! WTH? Just how do you form a strong PW with no punctuation? This ridiculous symbol restriction doesn't sound like it's in my favor, but ATT's.

THEN down the list, it asks for the last 4 digits of my personal SSN????! More WTH? Excuse me? I told the guy NO WAY JOSE! Just who does ATT think they are? For a sub-email addr?? I politely, but firmly told the rep, this is ridiculous and for him to pass that up the chain. Then ended the call. (I later discovered under ATT's pswrd guidelines...not to use your SSN or any part. They just conflicted themselves!)

Evidently yaha/bwaha wants to send me to ATT when I log in. Can't I just create a fake yahoo email, with a .yahoo extension, that has NOTHING to do with ATT?

This privacy invasion is already way out of hand. I need an European email account where this intrusiveness and gathering personal info to sell is outlawed.

Or, you could just go here and create as many email addresses as you want.

Or you could go here and create a Gmail address/addresses

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Or not

1st = MS
2nd = Guess who?

Dealing with Yahabhaha and ATTack me is bad enough.

Well then, "Who ya gonna call?" Better call GHOSTBUSTERS! 'Cause you've just about worked yourself out of choices!

I've had Microsoft emails almost since I've had computers. I've had Gmail addresses for the last several years and I use the Google Voice numbers too.

No problems with either one.

Well, whatever floats your boat! :)

FWIW, I've had the same AT&T email address since about 2002 but I've haven't used it for many years. I've set it to forward to my MS address just so I don't have to deal with it.

I, for one, don't have any problems with AT&T and we use their cell phone and Uverse for tv and internet, but, like you, I don't like dealing with their online sites.

Uverse tech support has been superb for the 8 years we've used them. I should clarify that, once you get through to tech support, their tech support is superb.

As to a MS email address, I can't remember ever having a problem with it. Not once. It just works.

Gmail too has been very reliable. I find I'm not as comfortable with the online interface though, when I have to use it.

I handle all my email through MS Outlook and Thunderbird. I like both of those very much and use them for different addresses.

Anyway, I really do wish you luck and hope you find what you're looking for!

Larry

I've had an ATT (sbcglobal.net) account for several years, and yes it's all handled through Yahoo! In your account settings you can create disposable email addresses under your ATT/sbcglobal address. The disposable address will have a yahoo.com suffix but will be delivered to the att/sbcglobal email account it was created under. You can configure whether you want the disposable account to be able to send or only receive mail. It works really well.

I have a group of several of these disposable emails and sometimes create a new one when I'm required to provide an email address to an unknown site (then I can delete the address if I get spam AND know who it was that sold the address to the spammers).

The biggest problem with it is navigating the Yahoo! user screens, sometimes requesting your username/password while you're already logged in - but I've seen that with Microsoft also, too much security IMO.

BTW, one good thing about Yahoo! running ATT email is that if you switch internet providers, the ATT accounts will remain active (not deleted like many ISPs do).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back