Buying new models used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've already seen some used 2015 and 2014 model year vehicles on dealerships and craigslist and I was wondering if it's much better buying a new model used as there is some depreciation when buying new.

Generally no, often i've seen used prices bumped above new rebates that the first new purchaser took advantage of.

Generally terrible unless you are a real horse trader.

You don't get the sales tax exception on your trade in as well (if applicable)

For example when I bought my 2011 new they had 2009 with a sticker of 2000$ more than I paid for my 2011(similar features)

Sometimes they will do special ads promoting those barely used deals and they can be a bargain.

There was a news story here recently saying how dealers have been registering new cars to get a rebate from the manufacturer, and are then selling the them on as new/used at close to new retail prices.

Seems like a convoluted way to make a $.

Depends on local car market. Here in So Cal a 2 years old Toyota or Honda with 20-25k miles is asking as much as a new one(if you know how to negotiate and getting all manufacture rebates for new car).

Like said, it depends on the supply and demand for the particular model. Generally speaking for today's market, used pricing is high. Long gone are the days you could get a 1-2yr/old Taurus, Impala or Caravan for $13K.

I've seen 2 year old Nissan Versa sedans that sold new for $12,000 selling used for $13 or more.And that's with 50,000 miles on them.They appreciate in value? No,thats just used car dealer pork..

It depends on the particular circumstances. We got a great deal on our Fit since it had been previously registered and couldn't be sold as new anymore. It had under 300 miles on the odometer.

Check the invoice - rebate price and add some profit to see where it ends up versus used.. You might also consider that on new you could be taxed on the sticker price instead of negotiated price. Check the major online sites for values new and used.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I was wondering if it's much better buying a new model used as there is some depreciation when buying new.

As noted above, the only absolute is that there are no absolutes...if that makes any sense. It'll depend on the local market, the vehicle, the dealer, what he had for breakfast that day, etc.

I think it depends upon needs too. My truck was not a great deal, as depreciation was very little--at 73k a good third of its life was used up, and the price tag was a third off. However I planned on low annual miles, and it hit the price point I was willing to pay. But if I were to drive it at 30k/year it would have been totally foolish.

I wonder if the used car financing companies take more of a risk with the lower credit score buyers.

We bought a new 2014 odyssey in 2015, and got a far better deal than anyone selling 2012-14 used ones with some miles (10-30k usually).

No, there is generally no advantage in doing that. Anyone with decent negotiating skills who is proficient in using email, can get a price on a new car (depending on the marque) that is favorably comparable to 1-2 years used (especially Honda/Toyota) especially factoring in miles/warranty.
The real buy is finding the previous model year new after the release of a new model year. I have done that for years and have always at least hit my target price (used value.)

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I've seen 2 year old Nissan Versa sedans that sold new for $12,000 selling used for $13 or more.And that's with 50,000 miles on them.They appreciate in value? No,thats just used car dealer pork..

Back in 2011, I was looking at a 2009 Versa sedan. The base model WITHOUT A/C or power anything - no radio! It was listed for $12,900. New, it sold for $9990

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back