Hyundai OEM filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
How you doing, I am new to the forum but a long time reader.

I have a issue that has me very confused. I have a 2009 Hyundai accent with the 1.6. It has developed a constant tick. At first I thought, well [censored] sounds like a cam follower, but all is good. I contacted Hyundai and was told its an issue with the oil filter, that I have to use a OEM filter, something about the aftermarket filters do not hold the pressure correct. Any help will be appreciated. Oh and when the ac compressor is engaged the tick is much louder. Hyundai wants $9.99 per filter.

I will try it. Would you know if auto7 is the same filter? I know there parts are mainly OEM Hyundai/Kia.

If you're not using a Hyundai OEM filter now then I would definitely give that a try. The TSB for this ticking issue is 10 years old and it basically says that the engine is designed such that using a different than OEM filter will potentially create a pressure variant that will cause engine ticking. You'll get people telling you that it's all B.S. and others telling you to use the OEM filters religiously.

I own a Hyundai and I only use the OEM filters. One of the reasons I do that is that I'm aware of two instances where use of the OEM filter stopped the noise. The other reason is that the quality of these filters is very good. I typically only pay around $7 for mine but it seems to be a different price each time I'm there. If you live near a Kia dealership you might want to see if they have the equivalent filter for cheaper as I've this seen happen related to the current Accent and Rio even though they're the same OEM filter.

welcome2.gif

They are correct there is a TSB for the oil filter related ticks.
Discussed here in a previous post.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2595255

The blue Hyundai oil filters appeared to be built so well, that's all I used on my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L.

They are (or were?) nicely built filters. I cut open all my used filters and was always impressed with the Hyundai ones.

I too have read about the potenial of issues using aftermarket ones on Hyundai product. Is there truth to it, I dunno.

welcome2.gif

Yea, Auto7 is almost certainly the OEM and most likely the same filter.

What kind of filter were you using before?

OK,Thanks guys. I will Go and get a Hyundai filter and see what happens. If it works I can buy 12 for 59.88, much better deal. I am new the the asian imports. Been building engines for a long time and never touched anything smaller than a v8. But man I really like this hyundai.

To service advisor: "my engine runs rough"
Advisor: "What kind of gas do you use?"
To advisor: "I use brand X"
Advisor: "That's why it runs rough, use brand Y"
This has happened more or less to me more than once over the years.

Even though there is a TSB, it doesn't mean the tick is from the oil filter is my point. Make sure you buy the filter from their parts dept or they can say "where did you get the filter?"

I have the wife picking up one right now. After some thought id could see how this may be the cause. I am very thankful for the help.

Some aftermarket filters dont have "return" valve built in...so every time you stop your engine all the oil settles back into oil pan....

And if your engine has oil tensioner on the valve chain....that chain is loose for short time until oil pump builds enough oil pressure to tense that chain...

Hyundai filter has a silicone antidrainbackvalve. Most cheap filters don't. Use the dealer filter or at least a quality filter with the silicone check valve.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Hyundai filter has a silicone antidrainbackvalve. Most cheap filters don't. Use the dealer filter or at least a quality filter with the silicone check valve.

This^^

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Some aftermarket filters dont have "return" valve built in...so every time you stop your engine all the oil settles back into oil pan....

And if your engine has oil tensioner on the valve chain....that chain is loose for short time until oil pump builds enough oil pressure to tense that chain...

I believe the word you were looking for is antidrainback valve. The important part is to get a silicone rubber one. The ones made from nitrile rubber are junk.

These use a timing belt afaik not like my subaru that uses the type of chain/tensioner you mention.

To OP:
Hyundai actually has a good filter. if you can get them 12/$60 you might as well. Nothing better out there near 5$

Ok, I have the new filter on, fresh mobil 1 and she runs great... crazy how the filter made it quiet down. And yes I figured that was a [censored] of a discount if i bought 12. I also cut open the old filter, A denso, it was installed 900 miles ago and the media was falling apart... I figured denso was a good bet. But always learning.

Originally Posted By: MrMaz
Ok, I have the new filter on, fresh mobil 1 and she runs great... crazy how the filter made it quiet down. And yes I figured that was a [censored] of a discount if i bought 12. I also cut open the old filter, A denso, it was installed 900 miles ago and the media was falling apart... I figured denso was a good bet. But always learning.

That may explain why it was clacking. I hope you can post pictures of the Denso filter insides and parts. I am planning on installing two in the next few days.

Originally Posted By: MrMaz
Hyundai wants $9.99 per filter.

Talk to your local Hyundia or Kia parts manager. My Kia dealer sold me 10 filters for $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back