Checking before changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is good practice and if you yourself dont, then hopefully the qick lube shops will.

They then can tell the driver, "hey you are down a quart" then they could note it. It seems it could save engines.

Also, I changed the oil in a van, and just a day or two later it was in for a repair or something and they apparently drained fresh oil and wasted a new filter.

Who knows what else this could bring to attention?

I worked at Jiffy Lube 25 years ago as an after school job. We'd check the oil and note the work order with the level. We also marked if a fluid was full or if it needed topped off. This has been SOP for decades.

Good advice, but you're preaching to the quire, bud. This is an oil forum, after all. I'd bet the vast majority of members either check their oil frequently enough to count as their pre-change check, actually check it just before changing it, or measure what is drained or sucked out.

I always check to see how much oil goes back into the empty 5 quart jug when I pour the old oil from the drain pan into it. So far,always fills it up to the 4.5 quart mark,the exact amount I put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back