Best Diesel Engine Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a VW TDI (BRM), and it seems the consensus big three for these cars is:

Rotella T6
M1 TDT
M1 Delvac ESP

Seems like any of these are good choices, as are more esoteric selections from Lubromoly and Motul.

for users like Doug, it makes sense to figure which oil is cost effective for his fleet.

For my most users with a handful of diesels, the cost of doing an UOA might equal cost of changing the oil.

any major brand oil will suffice.

Do you go syn or use dino is something you have to figure out by analyzing your driving habits. Your engine will probably last longer than you will keep the vehicle

I use the same oil in my kenworth and international and cut open the filters always clean , trucks are used of road in stone quarrys and asphalt plants and on road they get worked hard , great oil, and great deal at my local farm and fleet, use with confidence

I agree there is no such thing as a "best diesel oil" for every engine or application. Some engines and applications have standout performers that don't necessarily perform as well in other applications.

I have not used all the top tier diesel oils out there with oil analysis so I can't even make a claim. However in Powerstroke diesels I have yet to see oil analysis results that consistently match what Roadrunner is getting in his powerstrokes with JD plus 50. Most top tier oils are not saying they are formulated to 500 hour service intervals either.

Powerstrokes seem a lot more oil sensitive than most diesels and also are harder on oil than most diesels. In that sense perhaps Powerstrokes or the HEUI design may provide good rigorous tests of formulation quality. I was really impressed with the smoothness, quietness, and throttle response of Mystik 15w-40 JT8 when I ran it last summer so I would throw that product out there also--especially at its price point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stockrex

For my most users with a handful of diesels, the cost of doing an UOA might equal cost of changing the oil.

Well, I suppose, but like most things, it pays to shop. I get free oil sample kits, free analysis, a even free postage on the sample shipment container with my oil orders from Schaeffer. Even if I paid for them, which I have when I wanted more sample kits for other uses than what came with the oil order, the kits, analysis, and postage total is $10 a kit. That includes TBN, oxidation and nitration, unlike some other testing labs that like to charge extra for TBN.

Originally Posted By: T-Stick
Most top tier oils are not saying they are formulated to 500 hour service intervals either.

Well, true, the diesel specific oils are not saying they are formulated to 500 hour service intervals, but they do state they are formulated to meet the OEM recommended drain intervals. For a current Cummins ISX, that is 1000 hours. For a Detroit DD15, that is 1280 hours. Even for my pre-egr, factory remanned Detroit 60 originally built in the last century, the OEM interval is 500 hours on a CJ-4 oil, conventional or synthetic.

I'll chime in, as was mentioned earlier Deere extended all of their intervals out to 500 hrs. with the advent of their own CJ-4 lube along with USLD. Other manufacturers engine design/usage had played a large part in what their own OEM intervals were.

Since Deere makes no on-road diesel engines, their intended use was in either ag equipment or heavy equipment, both of which are "dirty environments" and require more frequent maintainence vs. on-road equipment, which for the most part is a much cleaner environment for an engine to operate in, which is why DD, Cummins, and others have had extended drain intervals for years in OTR engines.

I have a very good friend who is, at least for my area, a very large farmer. We have the same Deere engines in very different applications, with mine being in marine service, which is probably the "cleanest" environment an engine can operate in. He is marveled at the amount of engine hours I get out of my equipment vs. what he gets before overhauls. We not only use the same engine oil, but also the same fuel supplier.
The main difference is whether its in a combine or earth moving equipment there is always dust, a lot of dust, not only coating the outside of the engine, radiator, and everything else, its also being ingested.

The Deere Plus 50 II line is very good for its intended application, along with all the others mentioned in this thread. As many of us have proven over the years some engines do MUCH better with different oil. Deere's intended purpose for the Plus 50 line is worst case scenario dirty environment use. OTR engines are probably the easiest on oil, with somewhat constant RPM.

It's hard to find any oil that would allow 500 hours in an offroad application. My point also was that in a Powerstroke its hard to find any UOAs which match the numbers Roadrunner is posting.

IN regard to rr1's data, it's only hard to find in terms that most owners don't run 10w-30 in the first place.

My former neighbor ran 10w-30 Rotella TP for 7.5k miles in a 6.0L PSD, and I talked him into a UOA afterward. Excellent results.

The reason you don't see a lot of these is because it's simply not popular; not because it's poor practice. Your point is valid, but I'm just clarifing WHY there are not seen much.

Last edited:
Guy, do you want the truth? The fact is that nobody, at least nobody here, knows what's best. There are many excellent oils, including the one you're using. My money would go to Schaeffer. (I used Schaeffer oil in my gasoline Volvo turbo engine, and after 200,000 miles some of the original factory machining marks were still visible on the cam lobes; the engine ran great.)

I'm not sure why you went to the expense of the bypass oil filter, but that makes the oil live longer...be sure you do routine oil analyses to be sure your engine still gets what it needs. When the truck falls apart around your engine, you can transfer the bypass filter assembly to your next truck.

I agree with those who said they are all good. If the oil meets manufacturer's specs, they're going to do a great job protecting your engine. I have a lot invested in my last two trucks; both of them RAM diesels and everyone knows how much a Heavy Duty diesel pickup costs these days. So, . . I labored about the question of which oil, synthetic or conventional, etc for a while. Then, I met this friend of a friend, who just happened to have just retired and sold his trucking company in Ontario, Canada. He had a fleet of Class 8s and several Heavy Duty diesel pickups. I asked him which oil he used in his trucks. He said they used Rotella 15W-40 conventional oil. Over the years, he said, they had experimented with several different kinds of conventional and synthetic diesel oils but decided that conventional Rotella performed just as well as anything, including synthetics and for a much better price. I was surprised, especially since his company was in the cold northern Ontario region, but if Rotella 15W-40 is good enough for him, it's good enough for me and my RAM! I really don't think there's anything to worry about, though, using anything that meets specs. I've never heard of anyone saying that the wrong brand of oil destroyed their engine or shortened its' life!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
IN regard to rr1's data, it's only hard to find in terms that most owners don't run 10w-30 in the first place.

My former neighbor ran 10w-30 Rotella TP for 7.5k miles in a 6.0L PSD, and I talked him into a UOA afterward. Excellent results.

The reason you don't see a lot of these is because it's simply not popular; not because it's poor practice. Your point is valid, but I'm just clarifing WHY there are not seen much.

Yeah, it seems rather surprising the 10w30 thing hasn't taken off any more than it has. Especially since all the major heavy diesel OEM's are factory filling the motors with a 10w30 nowadays. They come with a 10w30, why not stick with it? The OEM is comfortable with it or they would not have put it in at the factory.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I only ran M1 TDT in my Cummins for a few months, and dumped it because oil consumption was higher than I was used to on Premium Blue. Then I put in Rotella T6 and have never looked back.

Had the exact same result in my LBZ DMAX along with very high Cu in UOAs, switched to T6.

I'll echo what many others have posted: I believe any of the big name HDEO's will serve an engine very well, provided that the fluid is made to the engine manufacturer's specs, and changed at the engine manufacturer's recommended inervals. I'm a new Owner-Operator OTR Truck Driver, so at this point, I haven't considered an oil bypass system. I'm following my engine manufacturer's recommended oil specs, prescribed OCI's, and using filtration as per the manufacturer's specs.

I gained invaluable advice and information from many of this site's very knowledgeable members. For my applications, I felt my best option was to choose a conventional HDEO from one of the 'Big Three' companies based of nationwide availability and price. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 ended up being the 'Best' for me based on these factors.

But not for a moment do I feel that Delvac performs any better than Delo or Rotella would in my truck's engine. -especially at my engine manufacturer's recommended OCI's.

One bit of odd advice a close friend, who's also a Owner Operator gave me was "All 3 Brands are great. Pick 1 Brand and stick with it." He told me he had ran Delo for close to 500,000 miles in his motor. The shop that did all his PM's changed to Rotella. He said his motor started consuming oil at a much higher rate using Rotella than before with Delo. Neither of us can figure out why, either. He did 1 or 2 OCI's using Rotella, then started buying Delo by the case from a local Sam's Club, and had the shop use his provided Delo. He claims the oil consumption halted when he switched back to Delo. Anyone have any ideas why this would be?

Originally Posted By: Dak27

One bit of odd advice a close friend, who's also a Owner Operator gave me was "All 3 Brands are great. Pick 1 Brand and stick with it." He told me he had ran Delo for close to 500,000 miles in his motor. The shop that did all his PM's changed to Rotella. He said his motor started consuming oil at a much higher rate using Rotella than before with Delo. Neither of us can figure out why, either. He did 1 or 2 OCI's using Rotella, then started buying Delo by the case from a local Sam's Club, and had the shop use his provided Delo. He claims the oil consumption halted when he switched back to Delo. Anyone have any ideas why this would be?

I too, have talked to many drivers over the years who experienced the same thing when switching oils. People report the same thing with cars. However, I've talked to guys that ran one of the "big three" HDEO's for hundreds of thousands of miles and eventually needed a couple gallons of makeup oil. Some had success lowering consumption by switching brands (to some extent).

I wish you luck in your new owner/op business!

Originally Posted By: T-Stick

I have not used all the top tier diesel oils out there with oil analysis so I can't even make a claim. However in Powerstroke diesels I have yet to see oil analysis results that consistently match what Roadrunner is getting in his powerstrokes with JD plus 50. Most top tier oils are not saying they are formulated to 500 hour service intervals either.

Could be, but many are proclaiming they are formulated for over 50,000 miles / 1280 hrs in commercial heavy truck motors. Delo has even been out proclaiming their 10w30 HDEO CJ-4 will go 70,000 miles in the Detroit DD15 motor and still be within the OEM tolerance limits. There is not a commercial heavy truck engine OEM that doesn't recommend a minimum 25,000 / 500 hr OCI for their engines for the last 10 years, unless being used off road or getting less than 6 mpg.

True, not a PStroke, but virtually every oil available in a CJ-4 rating is designed to go longer than 500 hrs.

i am running Q8 Excell diesel 5w40 on my passanger soon to be truck car because the high duty all day long. so far this oil is quite cheaper than M1 TDT (note: in indonesia) and the performance is pretty good so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back