2015 4cyl Camry Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people regularly check their oil? The Toyota Salesman said none of his customers checked their oil. I was the only one he knew that checked his oil. The general manager at the Toyota Dealership told me he hadn't checked the oil in any of his vehicles for many, many years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WayneandAnna
How many people regularly check their oil? The Toyota Salesman said none of his customers checked their oil. I was the only one he knew that checked his oil. The general manager at the Toyota Dealership told me he hadn't checked the oil in any of his vehicles for many, many years.

Coming from a Forester that used 2/3 qt every 3k, I got in the habit of checking every Saturday morning before heading out on errands.

More cars should have Oil Level Sensors! At least that yellow warning light will remind you to put in a quart (or a liter, if you're living in one of those backward countries...). OK, some will ignore the yellow warning light but those people deserve what they get.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
More cars should have Oil Level Sensors! At least that yellow warning light will remind you to put in a quart (or a liter, if you're living in one of those backward countries...). OK, some will ignore the yellow warning light but those people deserve what they get.

Yet most German car owners wish they can exchange their oil level sensors for dip sticks, we need more dip sticks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JFK
If you are dead set on the 0W20 which is not required for warranty then try Redline 0W20 and see if that helps it at all.

Not too sure about that. I just read our 2015 owners manual and it's pretty specific about 0w20 for all temperature ranges. It did say 5w20 is acceptable, but to replace it with 0w20 on next oil change.

Might be too early to tell, but as of almost 1500mi ours has not burned any noticeable amount. I just checked it and it's right on full. However I do not drive much highway and do lots of spirited (4-5K manual shifts) runs in the mountains.

That's unusual consumption for the 2.5L 4 cyl. Camry.

Something is certainly amiss.

Keep working with the dealer.

I'd let him provide the top offs in his service department so you will have a record of consumption just in case the problem worsens.

How many people regularly check their oil?

I check mine at least once a week, but the way your Toyota is
with that 0W-20, you had better be checking it everyday.
grin2.gif

Everyone is spoiled today...

From Sept 1956 Consumer reports...

Nash Ambassador V8, 625mi per quart AFTER Broken in

Dodge Custom Royal V8, 900mi per quart after broken in

No one was [censored]' about consumption...

TFBI: My first car was a used 1955 Ford that burned oil. I drove around with quart of oil in the trunk. I just purchased a 2015 Camry for $23,000 to take a stroll down memory lane; I once again am driving around with a quart of oil in the trunk. On a happy note, the gal I dated in that used 1955 Ford is still sitting beside me in the 2015 Camry (our 51st wedding anniversary is this Friday).

I have a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer that is speced for 0w-20 and I started it off on Mobil 1. I tried 0w20 EP and AFE and my car burned oil on both. I switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 and it used a little the first oil change and I have not had to add any since. you can order it on amazon.com in a 6 quart case, 5 qt jug or 3 5 qt jugs, its also available at NAPA, you local NAPA can order it for you. I recommend you try that, I think it might be just the Mobil 1.

A 1.6 qt. range of add to full on a dipstick seems way too big for a 4 cylinder passenger car. Others here with the same engine have reported 20 oz., which would seem reasonable. Could it be it has the wrong dipstick and is reacting to being overfilled?

TFBI: My first car was a used 1955 Ford that burned oil. I drove around with quart of oil in the trunk. I just purchased a 2015 Camry for $23,000 to take a stroll down memory lane; I once again am driving around with a quart of oil in the trunk. On a happy note, the gal I dated in that used 1955 Ford is still sitting beside me in the 2015 Camry (our 51st wedding anniversary is this Friday).

This put a smile on my face. Congratulations.

We worry so much about our vehicles, fretting over their maintenance and condition. Maybe we should spend some time on Bobisthemarriedguy.com.

Question: Could the oil consumption be caused by low compression on one cylinder? Should I ask the dealer to do a compression check?

Is the toyota salesman psychic? Who cares what he does but he doesn't know how many of us do or don't check oil!

Give the engine a teenager break in run. A couple of 0-80 mph highway runs with the pedal to the metal might help seat the rings.

0w20 synthetic is needed for the best mpg during the 10,000 mile oil change interval. But, you can top it off with whatever you want.

A little oil consumption is not all that bad. Every time it is low a pint on oil, top it off with a 5w40, 0w40, 5w50, 15w50... full synth oil. Another option use up to a quart of oil honey and see how that goes. Lucas, Hyperlube, MotorHoney are some available at autopart stores and walmart.

The Service Manager quickly agreed to check the compression. We scheduled to check the compression on July 2, and I'll post the results afterwards.

Good luck Wayne.

On our 08 Camry our 2AZ engine consumed 1qt of Valvoline Synthetic 5w-20 every 1500 miles up until 35,000 miles, where it then only consumed 1qt about every 3000 miles. Still it was too much for me so I traded in the car.

Toyota master tech told me that the wrong size pistons were used as well as the wrong rings from the factory. I would have assumed they would have corrected this problem seven years into the making but I guess not. Trade in the 4cyl for a V6 or get another model/make of automobile if you don't want to see any visible consumption on the stick.

I think 15W40 is a bit much. A solid 10W30 or 5W40 would likely be more than enough.

I know a lot of people that run M-1 5W30, 10W30 and PP 5W30 and 10W30 with ZERO oil consumption between OCI's.

I would not go any more viscous then I need too in order to get the desired outcome.

Wear metals are not an issue on Toyota engines so all the added viscosity beyond what is needed to control oil consumption is a waste. It will only serve to cost you fuel ecconomy.

I bet Redline 5W30 or 10W30 would bring abnormal oil consumption to a stop. You could likely get 9 months of use for an OCI with no harm regardless of miles.

I would bet that Redline 5W30 would either match most 0W20's or best them in fuel ecconomy due to all the friction modifiers in Redline.

Last edited:
Update. Mileage is now 9,800 on my new 2015 4 cyl Camry. As many of you know, I complained about oil usage to the Dealership when the engine had 3,000 miles on it. Since the last oil change at 4,700 miles it has used 3.1 quarts. It used oil at the rate of 2,800 miles per quart, then 1,375 miles per quart in the mountains, and 1,550 miles per quart at the end of that oil change.

Delayed by a few days, the Toyota Dealership did a compression check this morning. All cylinders had good compression and the numbers were in a tight range. The spark plug pulled from cylinder 4 was gummed up with oil. The service manager said that cylinder had an oil ring problem. He took pictures, collected the info, and would be talking to the Toyota Rep to decide what to do. He said this was also the reason my gas mileage had not been as good as expected; cylinder 4 was not producing the power it should.

The service manager said the engine would be fixed. He promised the dealership would make it right. He said he would call me in a couple of days, send a car over for me to drive, pick up my Camry, take it back and fix it.

He said he had seen these types of problems, but never before in a brand new engine.

Anna and I are thrilled to have the problem found and a fix in site.

Would someone explain to me how a cylinder has good compression and leaks oil?

Last edited:
Bad oil control rings. The bottom ring should be scraping away the oil; if it fails to do its job, the upper rings are easily overwhelmed.

Plus, the oil itself is a good sealer. The air in the cylinder does not have enough time to push past the rings--but since the ring failed to remove oil, it is left behind on the cylinder wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back