New Zero Turn Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last week I've visited dealers that have Bad Boy, Bobcat, Hustler, Gravely, Ferris and Scag.

The Bad Boy/Gravely dealer in Newark was a group of [censored]h*les. Not to me but to someone who misunderstood what was said on the phone.

The Hustler/Bobcat dealer in Aberdeen didn't seem to take me seriously, never left his office.

The Hustler/Scag dealer in Newark, DE was too busy for their own good, on a Monday afternoon. Took a while to talk to someone. There was a long service/parts line. These mowers were on the higher end of the budget and the dealer is upwards of 40 min away. Nice equipment though.

As said before the Ferris dealer was great. Located 30 min away. Nice equipment.

The Gravely dealer near home was great, 10 min away. No pressure. Answered all questions, offered solid advice. It's obvious why they've been in business for 46 years. Ride a Pro Turn around their property, asked where the roughest areas were and I went right for that area. Rode pretty nice. Very nice seat.

Going today to sign papers on the Gravely. Based on advice by more accurately describing my property in going with there 52" deck. Adding on headlights, operator controlled discharge and a hitch. If my math is right, I should be just under $7500 for it all out there door.

Never really understood the whole liking or not liking a dealer and that making or breaking a deal, they've always just been a means to a product. But this experience has opened my eyes.

Typically on equipment like this I think its best to buy based on what dealers are around you and who you want to deal with.

X Company could make the best equipment in the world but if the dealer is 3 hours away that doesn't help you much.

I purchased an ExMark LazerZ HP 48" cut 12 years ago and love it. I have two acres of land and before my in-laws passed away I had to mow their 5 acres. Nothing like a solid commercial grade unit to get the job done. There were times that the grass got out of hand due to my job not being able to get it mowed. This is where the commercial side shines. I was still able to mow 7 acres of tall grass in short order. No residential garden tractor could do that. It has been simple maintenance, oil and filter changes and lube points. One main drive belt replacement to date, the rest look good. It cost me $7k back then, which was and still is a ton of cash, but to me it was well worth it. Before this was a 1976 model Cub Cadet with a 60" deck. I went from taking close to two hours to mow my yard down to 50 minutes. Life is to short to be spending time mowing. LOL

A LazerZ is now much more than that, especially in the 52/60" size I was looking for. It was a couple thousand out of budget. I looked but not for long.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
A LazerZ is now much more than that, especially in the 52/60" size I was looking for. It was a couple thousand out of budget. I looked but not for long.

Do you really need that size? The efficiency of these ZTR's a smaller deck works well and you can still accomplish a nice fresh cut lawn in a speedy manner.
smile.gif

No, but I also dont need a commercial level ZTR.

I have the space to utilize that big of a deck so I might as well.

For $7500, you could buy a lot of professional lawn crew mowings. Saw they charge $35 a week. That will get you over 4 years of pro mowing. You won't have to lift a finger. No mower maintenance, no blades and oil dumps. Not to mention those 0 turns are expensive to work on. Hydro pumps are not cheap. And at 4 years that used 0 will be worth maybe a grand. Easier to hire it out.

slomo

Too late, already bought it.

I haven't priced it, but I doubt $35 will get my lawn cut. I bet it's closer to $50. A friend was doing it for $30.

I know in the short term, the cost of this mower is excessive. But I think in the long term it will be worth it.

And boy is it fast
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Too late, already bought it.

I haven't priced it, but I doubt $35 will get my lawn cut. I bet it's closer to $50. A friend was doing it for $30.

I know in the short term, the cost of this mower is excessive. But I think in the long term it will be worth it.

And boy is it fast
laugh.gif

Well there you go, I find that hiring someone usually costs quite abit more than just buying something to do the job in an efficient manner.

Our club has a Bad Boy. Been cutting 4 scres with it for 4 years. Tough mower. Parts available but we have had few problems with it. Tough as a tank and cheaper than anything else. $7500 would buy two bad boys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Our club has a Bad Boy. Been cutting 4 scres with it for 4 years. Tough mower. Parts available but we have had few problems with it. Tough as a tank and cheaper than anything else. $7500 would buy two bad boys.

Not the Bad Boy i was looking at
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back