Headlights On/ Night Rear Tail Lights Out - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work the night shift. Almost a couple times each week, each night, there are cars with the headlights on. However, as they pass me on the freeway, all rear tail lights are out?

This situation is obviously a safety hazard. However, what is going on here?

a) Are the lights truly burnt out?

b) How is the instrument lighting cluster set up, that this occurs?

c) Is it Daytime Running Light related? If so, how would you prevent this from occurring to you?

They don't have the headlighs turned on, it is the "DRL" or Daytime Running Lights they are using.

Some people forget to turn on their headlights.

At least DRL can't be forgotten, small added benefit for safety.

Turn on your headlights manually, then the rears will light up.

Originally Posted By: Falken
They don't have the headlighs turned on, it is the "DRL" or Daytime Running Lights they are using.

Yes.

Originally Posted By: Falken

This. In the past, instrument cluster lighting would not come on with DRLs, and would serve as a reminder that the full headlight/taillight combination needed to be turned on when it became too dark to see the cluster. Unfortunately, manufacturers have recently started to light up the clusters without the full lighting package on, so we'll be seeing more of what OP described.

The low beams in my work truck come on with the engine. I keep them on at all times. Anything I can do do to enhance my visibility.. Modern green houses don't promote ease of vision. Driving in city traffic with pedestrians stepping off the curb and my side vision blocked by a 16" A pillar...

I've seen this quite a bit, too. I guess morons think DRLs are enough illumination at night and can't be bothered to turn on the actual headlights.

I made a post about this:

Your headlights are off!

Drivers use the instrument gauge lights to show the headlights and taillights are on. However alot of OEMs are going toward electroluminescence backlit gauges where they have to be lit up at all times to show information. So now they also have an extra indicator to indicate headlights are on. I wish dealer floor monkeys would push that info to new car buyers because newer cars aren't the same as cars in the 90's.

I'm not a huge fan of headlight DRL's and I disabled the headlight DRL's on my 01 Toyota Tundra. I have modified it to the foglights which can be switched off or on. I like the seperate bulb DRL on my 02 Silverado and can be switched off or on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Set the lights to AUTO and forget it.

Auto is great......

Except when it rains.

raise the light sensitivity then? Mine go on before it starts raining, and in foggy conditions, AND if the sun is low.

DRL's I keep switched off though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back