98 Chevy 5.7 oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due for an OCI and looking for recommendations on oil type and viscosity. My father bought the truck new and sold it to me 7 years ago. Manual calls for 5W-30 and the engine has only seen conventional 5W-30 oil every 5K miles. Dad used Fram filters and I use Wix. Currently has 125K on it with no mechanical problems besides brakes but that's in Mechanical forum and not related! This truck gets 4-5K miles on it a year only being used once or twice a week for short commutes (8-16 miles) or back and forth to hunting camp 80 miles so mixed use. May sit 2 weeks at times not being used at all. Noticed the last two years I have been having to add 1 1/2 to 2 qts between oci's. No oil spots in the driveway where she sits so must be burning it. I live in Central PA where temps vary from sometimes below 0 to 100 degrees F. Please make a recommendation and why.......thanks.

#1.) Check your PCV valve is you burning oil

#2.) Since you live in PA, use the truck in the winter, and do yearly oil changes, I'd run a WIX filter and Mobil 1 0w40. The oil is only $25 for an oil change at Walmart. It's a great oil, will perform well in the cold, and your engine will love it.

Any SN rated 5w30 or 10w30 - conventional oil would do nicely.
Personally - Havoline or PYB would be my first picks.
Very consistent and good UOAs - easy to find and cheap on the wallet.

Last edited:
If no leaks, stick with conventional. I like HDEO for older vehicles, Shell Rotella Triple T 10w-30 would work great.

I second checking the PCV system as a possible cause of the oil consumption.

I had a 96' Chevy with the 5.7L and always ran Castrol GTX 5w30 & Wix filters except the last 2 changes were Valvoline NextGen MaxLife 10w40 & Wix filters. Used 10w40 because I got about 90 quarts on sale for 33 cents a piece.

Either way it was very happy.

I'd use Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 and change yearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back