Interesting test on various 1/2" ratchets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great article. I was at first disappointed at the Proto fail value, until I realized it wasn't damaged. Anyway 659 ft-lbs is nothing to sneeze at and already well into break bar territory.

I guess once you get into larger tools, most any brand will do the job. This mirrors the conclusion on a GJ forum thread about very large cheap wrenches. My habit of grabbing the 1/2" when the going gets tough seems justified.

Funny I just cleaned and lubed my mid-80's 1/2" USA Craftsman a couple of days ago. It was VERY well used and abused, sticky and uneven to ratchet. I was sure I had buggered it up by abusing it over the years. It turned out to have some tacky spots inside and some very, very thin liquid, maybe not water because it wasn't rusted. Anyway after getting the sticky out with brake cleaner, and lubing it with SilGlyde, it works great and is ready for another 3 decades.

I see "Performance Tool",the most common brand seen now at OReilly/Summit/Auto Value/Parts Plus isn't listed.Probably just as well.

A lot of the Performance Tool tools are the same thing as the Harbor Freight branded Pittsburgh tools ironically enough. Oreilly's carries Power Torque ratchets although I don't know how they compare to HF's Pittsburgh ratchets.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were the same thing too. Lol.

The HF tool did very well. The wrench they tested is built like a tank from the looks of it.

I am snickering at this test and dreaming about Snap-On 1/2 inch. I am sure it would have beaten all of those cheapos.

1) Their measurement tool would be broken instead of the Snap-On
2) If they managed to break the Snap-On ratchet, then it was used in correctly.

Am I missing anything else?

thanks for this, i'll have no qualms jumping up and down on my 4 foot pipe with my 300lb frame with the HF.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am snickering at this test and dreaming about Snap-On 1/2 inch. I am sure it would have beaten all of those cheapos.

1) Their measurement tool would be broken instead of the Snap-On

Am I missing anything else?

I think, what you are missing is: These 'cheap' ratchets performed way beyond what might be realisticly expected of them, and I expect many of them also offer an over the counter replacement warranty regardless.

I like Snap on, but my 'cheapo' socket set has served me well with only a couple of busted sockets for over 40 year's.
And I bet i use it far more than most shade tree mechanics.

Ill tell you what, tools came a long way and any of those ratchets would serve just about all of us well, except for the hardcore, I gotta have my Snap On tools Guy. Remember the $2.99 socket sets. The ratchet usually broke the first time you used it, if the socket didn't split. I think we all had one. I am really impressed with even the cheap tools of today. The $10 ratchet of today is better than the $30 ratchet of yesterday. Interesting. It says a lot about manufacturing.

CR did a test of various brands of ratchets in the early 1980s. If I remember correctly, Snap-On broke before some bargain brands.

The only breaker bar I ever broke was a 1/2" drive Snap on.

I was trying to undo the hub nut on an 88 Honda Accord with a 4 foot cheater bar.

What are you even talking about? Every ratchet in this test was used incorrectly.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The HF tool did very well. The wrench they tested is built like a tank from the looks of it.

I have one of these and use it quite frequently. When it was new the action was a little rough but a quick strip down and greasing and ti smoothed out. Works great and it is my go-to 1/2 ratchet.

I suspect the average guy isn’t putting much more that 250lb on them anyway without the help of a cheater bar.
With ratchets for me its all about how it feels in the hand, how smooth it is and the function of the forward/reversing lever.

Its like a divers watch that can go down to 2000 meters, just a useless number.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

What are you even talking about? Every ratchet in this test was used incorrectly.
You guys don't understand. If Snap-On breaks, it is user's fault. If HF breaks, it is cheap chinese excrement.

How long have you been participating here? By this time, you should have got the party line.

Unfortunately something isnt adding up

Torsion on Solid Square Section

krIBKxV.png

2a = 0.5 so a = 0.25
T = 890 ft/lb * 12 = 10680 in-lb

So the Maths

0.601* 10680/ 0.25^3 = 410,795.52 PSI

Typical A36 Steel has a Yeild strength of 36,000 PSI with an Ultimate Strength of 58,000–80,000 psi

Now I don't know what material has an ultimate strength of 400,000 psi so I think something with their test is flawed, possible the load readings.

Last edited:
It's not just about ultimate strength. The cheap tools get their strength using alot of cheap steel. This adds bulk and hinders access to tight places.The better/expensive tools use the strongest steel, are slimmer, and get into those places. Just saying...

So? You are saying that they have 10X error? Frankly, I *think* your calculations are suspect! Because if you are right, all the ratchets would have been broken before hitting 90 ft-lb!

I love the math and science but this is not cutting it.

Originally Posted By: willbur
It's not just about ultimate strength. The cheap tools get their strength using alot of cheap steel. This adds bulk and hinders access to tight places.The better/expensive tools use the strongest steel, are slimmer, and get into those places. Just saying...

Makes no difference, they are all limited to the same size, I am only taking into account a solid square cross section. 1/2" x 1/2" which is the 1/2" drive.

So? You are saying that they have 10X error? Frankly, I *think* your calculations are suspect! Because if you are right, all the ratchets would have been broken before hitting 90 ft-lb!

I love the math and science but this is not cutting it.

Yep! I think their setup is suspect, the results comparatively should be ok but at the error they have who knows?

Not sure where you got 90ft/lb I get 41,000 psi which is under the Ultimate strength of A36, which is one of the cheapest forms of steel, these tools are probably using something a little better.

for the top end of A36, 80,000psi ultimate strength figure for A36 I get 173 Ft/lb

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back