Monte Carlo - Feeling Nostalgic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day, everyone in my high school drove a Monte/Cutlass/Regal. Cherry bomb mufflers, air shocks, and large back tires were the thing. Me...I drove a 1983 diesel Nissan Sentra. Cheap, reliable, and I could roll coal before rolling coal was cool.
grin.gif

I like to toy with the idea of getting a classic car sometime. And my thoughts usually go to the Monte that I never had. I understand that some are going to argue that there is nothing classic or worthwhile about the third or fourth generation Monte Carlos. Such is life. Owning one would be more meaningful to me than an older classic muscle car.

So....if you were targeting later generation Monte Carlos what generation/motor/etc. would you be looking for? I see that some came with a 350, which seems like it would be the way to go. But I suspect those are not as common. Right now, this is just a pipe dream for me. But I do want to start thinking about it in case I stumble across the "right" car....

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd go with a 78+ G body. I'm more of a Malibu guy myself (never should have sold mine) but some of those Monte Carlos were cool looking in a ugly disco-era kind of way.

Body parts are getting a little rare but aftermarket engine/chassis/suspension upgrades are plentiful.

Do you want the SS or non-SS Monte Carlo?

I suspect the biggest issue will be finding one in good condition (very little or no rust, interior not trashed, etc.). If you come across one that is in decent condition and the price is right, then I wouldn't worry about which engine is in it.

Originally Posted By: TWG1572
So....if you were targeting later generation Monte Carlos what generation/motor/etc. would you be looking for? I see that some came with a 350, which seems like it would be the way to go. But I suspect those are not as common. Right now, this is just a pipe dream for me. But I do want to start thinking about it in case I stumble across the "right" car....

I don't think you want the 350 -- despite what Wikipedia says, I'm certain that the only 350 offered in a G-body Monte Carlo was the Oldsmobile diesel 350. The SSes and others came with a 305. What I'd look for is one with the 200-4R OD transmission -- some had a 3-speed TH-350 or TH-200 and neither are as desireable. The Monte Carlo SS was the only performance G-body to not get GM's 8.5" rear axle (like the 442 and the Grand National). It had a version of the 7.5" axle.

I had an '84 Cutlass in high school. What a great machine.

Back in the day, everyone in my high school drove a Monte/Cutlass/Regal. Cherry bomb mufflers, air shocks, and large back tires were the thing. Me...I drove a 1983 diesel Nissan Sentra. Cheap, reliable, and I could roll coal before rolling coal was cool.
grin.gif

I like to toy with the idea of getting a classic car sometime. And my thoughts usually go to the Monte that I never had. I understand that some are going to argue that there is nothing classic or worthwhile about the third or fourth generation Monte Carlos. Such is life. Owning one would be more meaningful to me than an older classic muscle car.

Well it appears we are from a similar generation. I rolled to school in Milwaukee in a 1978 V8 Cutlass Supreme. It was not a new car by that time , but it was in good shape (solid rear frame)

I went through my nostalgia abou a year ahead of you. I wanted a Cutlass again and I looked. I found one up in the twin cities. V8 1986 super clean and original wheels , non faded, with headliner up. Bought it and loved it for about 6 months. Then I realized that storing it would become a challenge with kids in my household. Then it started to have the ever so common intake coolant leak down the block. Then I realized I'm not singe and workin for a whole day on whatever project on the car would not be very cool with the family. Then my father became I'll. needless to say... I sold it to someone who will likely donk it.

Very sad still because unless I really hit some big money.... I'll never have one again. I was so nice to feel that olds ride again and man did people look.

I see that you are by Madison and since Madison has it's fair share of nicer homes and even nicer paychecks.... I assume that you have the elements I was missing. Extra gsrage space, extra cash and extra time. Go for it!

Be prepared to spend some money on some initial maintainence though because since the cars were sold by "us" the original user group back in high school, they haven't been maintained the best with fluid changes etc. afterall they were "just a Monte Carlo" to somebody in 2002, so they didn't drop big bucks preserving it for us in 2015.

Keep us updated! There's a nice looking olds ninety eight regency for sale here I live now but it's not the Cutlass I really want .
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Do you want the SS or non-SS Monte Carlo?

I think the non-SS would be what I'm targeting. Going strictly by looks alone, I like the '78-'80 models the best.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I don't think you want the 350 -- despite what Wikipedia says, I'm certain that the only 350 offered in a G-body Monte Carlo was the Oldsmobile diesel 350. The SSes and others came with a 305. What I'd look for is one with the 200-4R OD transmission -- some had a 3-speed TH-350 or TH-200 and neither are as desireable. The Monte Carlo SS was the only performance G-body to not get GM's 8.5" rear axle (like the 442 and the Grand National). It had a version of the 7.5" axle.

Yeah. No 350 diesels for this guy. I have enough headaches as it is.

So it sounds like one best case scenario would be the 305 paired with the 200-4R tranny.

Watch inside of the trunks. They rotted out on those. You will find 4.3 v6s or 305 v8s in them, stock anyways. G bodies are the way to go, I want to find a Malibu wagon for the ultimate sleeper.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Watch inside of the trunks. They rotted out on those. You will find 4.3 v6s or 305 v8s in them, stock anyways. G bodies are the way to go, I want to find a Malibu wagon for the ultimate sleeper.

Instead of "Farm Truck", you can become almost famous and make a "Church Wagon"

Originally Posted By: SumpChump

I see that you are by Madison and since Madison has it's fair share of nicer homes and even nicer paychecks.... I assume that you have the elements I was missing. Extra gsrage space, extra cash and extra time. Go for it!

Be prepared to spend some money on some initial maintainence though because since the cars were sold by "us" the original user group back in high school, they haven't been maintained the best with fluid changes etc.

You know what they say about assuming.... I have a 3 and 6 year old kid, and an empty third stall in my garage that is filled with their toys. You can guess where my spare time and money go.
smile.gif
That said, if I came across the right car I'd have no issues buying it and parking it for a while until the kids get big enough to help.

It is kind of ironic. We sold these cars for next to nothing, and then turn around and pay a lot more to buy them back with more miles on them.

I want a G-body cutlass, but, restomodded, with a current Ford 150 drive line. (Prefer either the 3.5v6, or new 2.7l EB v6, both built locally)

Originally Posted By: SumpChump

Be prepared to spend some money on some initial maintainence though because since the cars were sold by "us" the original user group back in high school, they haven't been maintained the best with fluid changes etc.

You know what they say about assuming.... I have a 3 and 6 year old kid, and an empty third stall in my garage that is filled with their toys. You can guess where my spare time and money go.
smile.gif
That said, if I came across the right car I'd have no issues buying it and parking it for a while until the kids get big enough to help.

It is kind of ironic. We sold these cars for next to nothing, and then turn around and pay a lot more to buy them back with more miles on them.

Funny stuff.

Oh and a few observations from having been in the market myself recently.
If it's a wisconsin area car you can expect rear body rot , it's a given. The rear frame tongues you can find solid , if you look for a while. Now this is considering that you want to buy one for $3500 or less. You know what your getting bacause it hasn't been painted over or spit shined and the seller expects a lower offer by $500.

Beware of the price range between $4000 and $9,000 because they will look cleaner and have newer paint but some I the core components have been "home restored" and aren't put back in correctly. In other words, they look nicer and have an Edlebrock this or that under the hood but they need just about as much work. So stay away from this "partially restored" price range. These have shiny paint but rusty brake lines. These guys will commonly not take counter offers and will many times not be as accurate in your ads. They will say thing like "I was about to add a new radiator but I DO have the hoses already and will give them to you" = it's been overheated, beware.

Now one you hit the $10k price range you start finding cars that weren't just "flipped" and put up for $6500. These cars will have beefe up th400's or rebuilt correctly engines and will have had new rear frame tongues put on correctly. These are cars that they guy has had for a while and aren't "flips". These have all new brake lines and recently gone through mechanicals. These also aren't Chip Foose trailer queens of course. These are for the guy in Middleton who work at Epic Systems and just want one pretty much ready to drive.

And then there's the wild card. Colorado, New Mexico,
Kentucky. And I mean going there. The cars are solid. Real solid. They're faded out west and they leak just like here but they are solid. It wasn't worth the ride for me. But a guy could make good money bringing back G body cars and repairing them and selling them up here to us mid lifers and the Donkers in Milwaukee and Janesville.

My buddy had a Monte Carlo in HS, it was bone stock but a good car.

I still know of where a GNX is stored with the original plastic on it, and only delivery miles. One of these days that car is going to go for a few bucks.

Last edited:
Those were just a hair after my time in school- they were the NEW cars that most kids parents wouldn't let them drive. :)

But by the time college and grad-school rolled around, a lot of my cohorts were in hand-me-down clapped-out peeling-paint Cutlasses, Monte Carlo's, and Regals. IMO, none of them (other than the Grand National) really got a decent factory engine option. The Olds 260 was reliable, but not particularly powerful. The Chevy 305 was also pretty weak, even in "SS" trim, but was probably the strongest engine offered other than the turbo 3.8 in the GN/GNX. Some got a Pontiac (301?) v8 also. The nice thing about the Olds 260 is that a 350 or 307 is just about a drop-in, and a nicely built Chevy 350 is a drop-in for the Chevy 305, too.

This thread is very funny for me to read ! I started reading it first and went..."Man, this sounds like someone back in my HS days"... and then read the "where" part of the thread ! I grew up in Monroe and live by Madison now and can TOTALLY RELATE to this mostly WI/Midwest musings of this thead...!!

grin.gif

I like the '81-88 4th Gen cars.
Some rare ones:
The '81 Monte Carlo Turbo came with the turbocharged Buick 3.8 V6. Only ~3000 of them built, then discontinued in '82.

The SS was reintroduced in '83, and the most powerful engine available was the HO 5.0 with 180 HP. The four-speed automatic wasn't introduced until '85.

Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe, built to homologate a lower drag body for stock car racing. Only 200 built in '86, and 6000 built in '87.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The nice thing about the Olds 260 is that a 350 or 307 is just about a drop-in...

Don't forget about the 403. I bought a clapped-out '87 Buick Regal in college with a knocking Olds 307. I pulled a 403 out of a '79 Regency 98, bored it .030 over, used a bigger cam than I should have (let my friends talk me into that), and swapped the engines one weekend. The Bu' had the 200-4R with the rare 3.08:1 rear axle (most had 2.73s or 2.56s), and man, it ran STRONG with that 403.

I had a 85SS my senior year in high school (2003) and a few years after. Loved the car, lot of memories with that car.

I sold it because I didn't have the time to give it the attention it needed, the guy that bought it did a mild restore on it and it looked great.

One day I'll have another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back