Wearever Silver Semi-Metallic Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised to find my rear brakes had a inner pad down to nothing. Only got 18,000 miles on the Monroe Pads (made in Canada). Akebono ceramic my pad of choice but got the mentioned as a temporary measure at Advance Auto with 20% coupon , paid $20.

Installation went OK and ordered the needed Akebono online for $39 delivered to my door.

The Wearever's seem to be OK with no noise or squeal. Sorry I jumped on the Akebono so fast but since I have them I install in late October.

OEM Toyota rear lasted 60,000 miles, then to Raybestos which lasted 48,000 miles, Monroe only 18,000.

Last edited:
If the outer pad was still thick, you have a sticky caliper. It might be the piston or dry, grooved or rusty pins/tracks.

Did you lube them when they were installed?

Originally Posted By: HangFire
If the outer pad was still thick, you have a sticky caliper. It might be the piston or dry, grooved or rusty pins/tracks.

Did you lube them when they were installed?

I grease the pins twice a year in April and October. I goofed this year and didn't do it this April. The inner right side was worn to nothing and the inner left still had some meat on it. Both outer pads were meaty. Think I'll buy new pins for both sides as a start.

Kept the Monroe pad box and noticed a note it it. It claimed it's critical to use the new hardware provide for a number of reason, like even pad wear. I didn't use the hardware. Not sure if it would have matter BUT my bad for NOT using it.

Got the Monroe pads cheap after sale and rebate, about $10 each. Used them twice in the front and once in the back. Slight problem with the front but a slight swipe of a file to take a 1/2 mm off tabs correct it. No noise or sequel ever and front got about 40,000 miles.

That said, like Akebono pads for quality and easy of installation. Used about 3 sets and had an easy installation each time. I just have to maintain a stock on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back