Small dents on rear bumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I just noticed two small dents on my rear bumper about 1/4 inch long and 1/8 wide. I'm guessing someone tapped the back of my car while parking. I knew it was going to be a matter of time before this happened, I have a parking pass for the rear of my apartment complex but pure laziness took over. I made the huge mistake of leaving my car on the street overnight.

It looks like their license plate cover made contact with my bumper. The good thing is the impact didn't break the clear coat, it only dented it if that makes any sense. I'm going to take pictures after work. Honestly the damage is so small most people wouldn't notice it but it bothers me. I feel like my car is a part of me. When light hits the area you can see two ovals from the dents.

I'm open to all options, including getting the entire bumper resprayed.

Could paint-less dent repair be used? I don't even know if the actual bumper cover was dented or just the paint.

The damage is located on the bumper cover edge, the below picture is a stock pic I found online, I will be posting the damage later on.

-Thanks

168hh0m.jpg

Sure but it's just going to happen again. You're not from Minnekota Minnesota!!

Originally Posted By: Trav
Can you get behind it?

I'm not sure, the bumper cover might have to come off.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Sure but it's just going to happen again. You're not from Minnekota Minnesota!!

That's what my dad told me, he said I'm crazy to worrying about my car it's meant to be used and it's going to have battle scars unless you keep in the garage and never drive it.

Originally Posted By: Swift101
That's what my dad told me, he said I'm crazy to worrying about my car it's meant to be used and it's going to have battle scars unless you keep in the garage and never drive it.

That is a wise advice and fits my experience. The 1st few dings hurt most so I tend to put the 1st ding myself.
smile.gif

Some good news... it's on your bumper which is plastic and a cheap part. If the ding is on a crease you absolutely can make it look better by getting behind the bumper and pushing out. If it's not, then I'd leave it be. It won't be worth the money. Just wait to collect more dings then have the bumper PDR/refurbished/re-painted depending on the battle scars collected.

Last edited:
Dads right but if you have to fix t and can get behind it you can heat the dimples slightly with a heat gun. Not too hot you will damage the paint and have a real mess, very warm to the touch is good enough.
Warm it good and simply use a small wallpaper roller behind it back and forth over the dimple while continue to heat it a little, it will come right out.

I wouldn't bother if the paint wasn't damaged and i had to remove the cover.

At least those bumper bruises won't cause rust.remember our cars are there to serve US!! I know it took me years to accept that!

Last edited:
Yep, it's just a plastic cover. If it were metal like a door, hood etc if would be a different story. I'd just use a toothpick and some touch up paint.....done!

Just took a pic of the damage this morning, I know it's really not much.

I used color correction on the second picture.

I don't think it's worth fixing for now, it just bothers me that my bumper isn't perfect anymore.

256v7tu.jpg

2hzq339.jpg

That is nothing... You'll get worse rock chips from the front of your car. You could ding it yourself on the right side to make it symmetrical and claim that it's for aerodynamics.
smile.gif

A pro could fix it easy enough with dent removal rods and heat with the cover on the car but you needs some real skills for that, one screw up with the heat gun and the party is over.
You could do more damage just removing the cover or trying to fix it. Forget it, seriously.

I'd leave it alone, or have the dent doctor do it if it really was bothering me. For what they charge it isn't worth risking damaging the bumper or the paint with a heat gun if you don't have the experience to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back