5w30 Quaker State defy now API SN too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have read here among members is that the QSDEFY is really not a HM oil. According to the members it is more like an oil for older engines that are required to run a higher amount of the ZDDP additive. They claim it does little to nothing to prevent or stop oil leaks. So, can someone please straighten me out on this, or, am I correct as to what I am stating from the BITOG members?

I've had luck with it curbing consumption and slowing seeps on my Dakota. So, for me, yes it's a real HM oil. It may be a fine product in it's new SN/GF-5 guise, but I won't be seeking it out any longer.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
But the lack of API credentials may have cost them sales opportunity, thereby leading to a subsequent reduction of ZDDP to within API limits for a broader market appeal.

Perhaps. Considering Shell isn't shy about having a bajillion interchangeable products on the shelf, they could have brought back QSED as a separate entity. Now, they've handed over most of the target market to boutiques, HDEOs, and VR-1. Are they really going to succeed in wooing a bunch of MaxLife users?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
From what I have read here among members is that the QSDEFY is really not a HM oil. According to the members it is more like an oil for older engines that are required to run a higher amount of the ZDDP additive. They claim it does little to nothing to prevent or stop oil leaks. So, can someone please straighten me out on this, or, am I correct as to what I am stating from the BITOG members?

Well if you zoom in on the pick in the first post they clearly mention seal conditioning on the bottle, so it probably has a decent dose of it compared to QSAD, but just guessing here!

Maybe not, just guessing, too. After all, if both are within SN/GF-5 limits, how much difference can there really be? Formula Shell, QSGB, and PYB are essentially interchangeable. SOPUS doesn't believe in extended OCIs. Defy has no ACEA certifications or dexos1 license. So, this tells me that Defy is completely interchangeable with QSGB, PYB, and Formula Shell, at a price premium.

I never bought into Imperial Oil's baloney about an ILSAC certified high mileage oil (Mobil Super 2000 in Canada). I'm not about to buy into it from Shell, either.

I just liked it because of the API SL rating and cheap price with SOPUS quality and was planning on using it exclusively in my Buick but now I'm considering PYB. When I get some extra spending money i might try to grab up this older SL stock.

Yeah I'd bet SOPUS is gonna net a jump in Rotella sales over this, so probably not losing much market share from those in the know and hoping to gain more from those who are not I guess.

Still not impressed.

I sent QS a question about zddp levels now (sn) and a link for new pds on Friday. We will see if they respond.

Last edited:
I saw the 10w30 at my Walmart is now sn too. Along with the rest. I guess it will be like the regular qs except with hmm additive. And I guess semi synthetic. I imagine its more in demand like that and probably most people don't know shell makes it as well as penn.

I will use it if ever a need. I really like shells stuff. I see on that Pqia sight that penn is more moly and qs more boron. So it should be good for anti wear I think.

Yep, I saw the 10w30 in the new bottles as well. All grades seem to be moving to SN. Quaker State never responded to a question I sent them months ago about why they seemed to be getting low in inventory at local Walmarts. Guess we know why now. Pretty bad not to get back to consumers though. I assume different branches of SOPUS handle their different brands with QS being lowest on the pole. Maybe that explains the lack of customer service? I changed our Hyundai over to Pennzoil HM last change due to not being able to find DEFY at my usual Walmart.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Yeah I'd bet SOPUS is gonna net a jump in Rotella sales over this, so probably not losing much market share from those in the know and hoping to gain more from those who are not I guess.

I don't like the notion of cannibalizing one's own product share, either. I'm not sure what they're hoping for. Is just tossing a Starburst on a Defy bottle really going to increase sales?

Sopus knows what their doing most people just pick brand for what ever reason. Maybe their favorite race car driver is sponsored by it or their dad used it or any possible reason under the sun other than the actual facts about oil itself. Quaker state loyalist who want a HM have the option of qshm. Or anybody that likes its pretty red bottle. Most people wouldn't know what zdddp or p is for in lubrications or even that its in it.

As for higher zddp or p for flat tappets, its debatable as to if the newer sn oils cannot protect just as well.
I haven't seen any proof that high zddp is better anymore

That still doesn't address my question about the Starburst increasing sales. Some of us who've had the most luck with HM oils have done so when they weren't ILSAC certified. Now, Defy is simply interchangeable with QSGB, but costing more.

If you need it for leaking seals, lower zddp and p will not effect that at all. Seal swell will still do its job.

I guess if you believe you need higher zddp, the good news for you is that there are still higher Zink choices available.
I doubt its necessary anymore and if your motor is burning oil you can budget and plan on replacing your cat in the future.

I'm not convinced that an ILSAC rated Defy (or MaxLife, or anything else) is going to have significantly more seal conditioning ingredients than any other ILSAC rated oil. Now, they do have significantly more marketed effort applied to the matter, but that doesn't actually do much for seals.

Defy was originally marketed for the enhanced ZDDP. And yes, there are other choices. Unfortunately for SOPUS, the path of least resistance for me would be something from XOM or Valvoline's VR-1 or something cheaper in their own lineup. Additionally, I'm not convinced I need enhanced ZDDP, either, as you mention. That being said, I don't need to spend the extra on Defy, and can revert to QSGB, PYB, or Formula Shell, since they're all interchangeable in this application, and cheaper.

For the avg consumer - not a second thought. For us OCD types, who have researched and know a little about this stuff - very puzzling. I must agree.

That's exactly it. I can't see the Starburst dramatically increasing sales. They had their niche market. If I wanted a QS ILSAC product, I had other choices. They might as well make it dexos1, too, and get it over with. At least then, they have a little something extra. A cheaper dexos1 product is more useful than a more expensive basic ILSAC one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back