Lawn Mower Oil Filter Prices - WTB Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil filter for my mom's (Kawasaki engine FR691V) mower is a 49065-7007. So far the only filters that I have cross-referenced that are exact fits and have the same specs are a Wix 57035 or a Fram PH8170. All 3 of these filters are WELL over $10. I am not fond of Fram at all (except the ultra, but there isn't one for this). I don't want any no-name brands, nor do I want any over-sized filters. Call me crazy, but I will NOT buy from ebay. With that being said, the best I can find so far is the Wix from O'Reilly @ $11.99
33.gif
Does anyone know where I can find any cheaper? Thanks in advance!

The link below should help with your search. I've found personally and read that using the automotive application of the OPE filter is much less expensive and depending on filter chosen may have better features like silicone adbv. In my case for Kohler it's using the 3614/10241/51348 application.

In the linked thread it seems member 'WagonBoss' has done the research. Though the 4967/14476 would be similar size, if room allowed I'd use the longer 4386/14477 application.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2291508

My John Deere dealer has Deere branded filters for my 757 with a Kawasaki engine for around $7.00. Doesn't your local dealer where you bought the mower have filters available at a reasonable price?

A Fram 8170 or a Napa 1056 if you want to stay with the same size.

A Fram XG3614 is a little larger in capacity (and size), but matches up perfectly. In fact, that's what I run in mine - with the Kawasaki FR651V engine.

Also, here is a thread about this topic not too long ago, and I got some excellent recommendations for the engines we run.

Last edited:
Get an STP S3614
or S3600 (if you have room)
from AutoZone.

Under $4...

I used a coupon, so I got it for under $3...

My oil choice would be Rotella T5 in 10W-30...

Last edited:
Looking closer at the 49065-7007 application 'myself', I want to make a correction. The gasket of that application is ~ I.D. 2.47", O.D. 2.75". Using those numbers the 3614/10241/51348 (Fram/Puro/Wix) I first mentioned, match up closest using the same thread pitch. It would be slightly longer the spec, but should work fine if access allows.

Yes the Fram PH8170 and Wix57035/Napa Gold 7035 are the exact OPE match. However, IME the OPE application will still be more expensive that the more common equivalent automotive application.

As for the 4967/4386 mentioned in the thread I linked may work but I can't personally vouch for it based on the gasket diameters.

From my experience, changing the oil filter with every oil change is unnecessary, particularly on small engines. Unless you're operating in very dusty conditions and rack up a lot of hours every year, change your filter every second or third oil change.

Thinking logically, if a splash lube engine can go 100 hours between oil changes with NO filter, why can't an engine with a pressurized system and oil filter go two or thee times longer?

My riding mowers accumulate approx. 50 hrs a year. I change the oil every year but filters every four years. Both engines are running strong. One's 13 years old, the other is ten years old. I do the same with my ATVs.

I've actually opened the filters up to inspect the condition of the paper element. I've yet to see visible evidence of excessive debris accumulation nor deterioration of the fabric.

As an anecdote, I knew of an old guy who never changed oil filters in his vehicles. Never! His vehicles didn't seem to mind. They lasted as long as most and he put a lot of hard miles on them.

Bottom line is that a $12.00 element used over 4 years brings down the cost to $3.00/yr.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
The oil filter for my mom's (Kawasaki engine FR691V) mower is a 49065-7007. So far the only filters that I have cross-referenced that are exact fits and have the same specs are a Wix 57035 or a Fram PH8170. All 3 of these filters are WELL over $10. I am not fond of Fram at all (except the ultra, but there isn't one for this). I don't want any no-name brands, nor do I want any over-sized filters. Call me crazy, but I will NOT buy from ebay. With that being said, the best I can find so far is the Wix from O'Reilly @ $11.99
33.gif
Does anyone know where I can find any cheaper? Thanks in advance!

At $12, it's cheaper to buy the Kawi filter.

Another filter to look at if there is room is the Kawi 49065-7010, -2071 and -2078. It's a little taller. Maybe at least another cross reference. http://www.kawasaki.com/kengine/enginesecure/servicebulletin/09-10eng.pdf

The 49065-7010 crosses to Wix 51394, and is $7 from Amazon Prime.

Wix 51394 translates to, drumroll please.....

Fram PH4967

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
Puro 14477 works great in my Kaw. And it's cheap.
That filter is the Puro OEM size on 2001 and later Camry I4s and back speced to earlier models.

Last edited:
So long as you have the same tread pattern and gasket size there shouldn't be a problem with using another brand of filter. I had a hard time a couple months ago convincing my step-dad this when getting another filter for his John Deere mower, the dealers tried to convince him that if he uses another product besides OEM that the mower will explode

NAPA stores in Oklahoma City have $10. off a $20. purchase all this month. I'd be going there looking for NAPA Gold oil filters at 50% off. That will put a NAPA Gold 7035 at about $6.25 each.

Last edited:
Just spoke to someone at Kawasaki Technical Support.

I specifically asked about the bypass and he said it didn't really matter as long as there was a bypass.

Sounds like an odd response to this question. He wasn't able to pull up a spec sheet on the 49065-7007.

I want to support my local dealer and have no problem buying Kawasaki parts but, I bought two Kaw 49065-7007 a week and a half ago, one had mild surface rust on the base plate and I was able to clean it off and put a light coat of oil on it to get by until I changed the oil. But the other had more severe rust, so I returned it. The replacement had mild surface rust that I was able to clean off and put a light coat of oil on. This replacement came right out of a new box. If I'm going to pay a premium to get Genuine Kaw parts, I expect it to be perfect. I don't know if this dealer doesn't sell enough of them or if it's a Kaw problem

More interesting information...

While searching for a datasheet, I stumbled upon the Kawasaki FR/FS/FX 650/691/730V Service Manual.

Oil Pressure is: 43-85psi at 3200 rpm (122-144*F)

The Stens (big aftermarket brand for OPE) 120-485 (Kaw49065-7007) has a bypass of 7-9psi. The Stens 120-634 (Kaw 49065-7010) has a bypass of 9-12psi. Both the 49065-7007 and 49065-7010 are acceptable for use on the FR/FS/FX series engines per the service bulletin I posted a few posts up.

Wix 51394 (or 51394xp if you want to go crazy) has a 8-11psi bypass, seems like a suitable choice if you have the space, which most mowers do.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
More interesting information...

While searching for a datasheet, I stumbled upon the Kawasaki FR/FS/FX 650/691/730V Service Manual.

Oil Pressure is: 43-85psi at 3200 rpm (122-144*F)

The Stens (big aftermarket brand for OPE) 120-485 (Kaw49065-7007) has a bypass of 7-9psi. The Stens 120-634 (Kaw 49065-7010) has a bypass of 9-12psi. Both the 49065-7007 and 49065-7010 are acceptable for use on the FR/FS/FX series engines per the service bulletin I posted a few posts up.

Wix 51394 (or 51394xp if you want to go crazy) has a 8-11psi bypass, seems like a suitable choice if you have the space, which most mowers do.

I just want to point out that the oil pressure of the engine and bypass pressure of the filter have nothing really to do with each other. The bypass pressure is a delta p across the filter.

I understand, in my reading I saw someone say these things only moved oil at 8psi. Just figured it was more information to throw out there.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The link below should help with your search. I've found personally and read that using the automotive application of the OPE filter is much less expensive and depending on filter chosen may have better features like silicone adbv. In my case for Kohler it's using the 3614/10241/51348 application.

In the linked thread it seems member 'WagonBoss' has done the research. Though the 4967/14476 would be similar size, if room allowed I'd use the longer 4386/14477 application.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2291508
While I do agree with the auto equivalent, my mom may end up doing her own maintenance, and wouldn't know to put extra oil in. That's why I'm looking for an exact size match.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
My John Deere dealer has Deere branded filters for my 757 with a Kawasaki engine for around $7.00. Doesn't your local dealer where you bought the mower have filters available at a reasonable price?
Nope. Around here, that's like asking if the local (insert brand) stealership has reasonable prices on auto parts.
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
http://www.amazon.com/Fram-PH8170-Oil-Fi...words=wix+57035

Do subscribe and save and then cancel it after it ships.
Again, I'm not fond of Fram, but this is a decent price nonetheless.
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
http://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Original-Equipment-AM107423/dp/B00850F70U

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=AM107423

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Engine-Oil-Filter-AM107423.html

Try googling it. Lots of options just by looking up a part number.
Again, I'm looking for the exact same size, these are all different (longer). But thanks for taking the time. I do appreciate it.
Originally Posted By: Irishman
NAPA stores in Oklahoma City have $10. off a $20. purchase all this month. I'd be going there looking for NAPA Gold oil filters at 50% off. That will put a NAPA Gold 7035 at about $6.25 each.
Interesting. While I can't stand Napa, their filters are made by Wix. This could be a very good deal. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back