0W20 oil change intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is anyone going with the 10K recommended oil change intervals on the new Toyotas? My service light just came on at the 5K interval on my 2012 Camry.

I have a 2014 Prius with the 10K interval, and yes the Oil Change light comes on at 5,000 miles. Toyota still has a 5,000 mile service they want you to have done, which includes rotating the tires, but not an oil change. I just skip the 5,000 mile service and reset the idiot light. I also check my fluid levels on a weekly-10 day basis.

Same here. In my 2013 Avalon Hybrid, I use 0w20 on 10k intervals and reset the reminder when it comes on.

I also just sent Blackstone a UOA sample based on 8900 miles with the new PP (or whatever the acronym is). Should be in shortly.

I'm old school [started driving legally in 1966] so graduating from 3k to 5k to 7500 miles and intervals beyond can sometimes come with night sweats
smirk.gif

I remind myself it's a couple of bucks for an oil change even if "too soon".

I replaced the PP with M1 EP and have no doubts it's good for 10k, but hey I'm old school.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eagle23
Same here. In my 2013 Avalon Hybrid, I use 0w20 on 10k intervals and reset the reminder when it comes on.

I also just sent Blackstone a UOA sample based on 8900 miles with the new PP (or whatever the acronym is). Should be in shortly.

I'm old school [started driving legally in 1966] so graduating from 3k to 5k to 7500 miles and intervals beyond can sometimes come with night sweats
smirk.gif

I replaced the PP with M1 EP and have no doubts it's good for 10k, but hey I'm old school.

How do you like your Avalon? I was thinking about that style. I like the rear profile especially.

5k mile service is a tire rotation along with fluid level and brake inspections.

5k mile oil changes also apply when operating vehicle under the "severe" category.

Originally Posted By: zach1900

smirk.gif

How do you like your Avalon? I was thinking about that style. I like the rear profile especially.

I LOVE the Avalon. Most comfortable car I've ever owned yet handles well. I was looking for a highway cruiser and this fit just fine.

Bought it used (certified) with 9500 miles from the local Toyota store. They'd sold it and 9 months later it was traded to a sister Lexus dealership so the Toyota store put it back on their lot. Ended up paying about 30% off original sticker for a car with 9500 miles on it. I'm cool with that.

It had had two oil changes and in true BITOG style I changed it myself to PP since I didn't know what was in it. Also changed the ATF at that point which was probably unnecessary but...

The mileage is great, if you're looking at the hybrid. I'm consistently getting 37-40 on the highway at 70-75 mph. The most recent trip from Atlanta to Tuscaloosa AL and back (450 miles) yielded 40.3 mpg. Coming home from downtown Atlanta a month ago in stop and go traffic (where the hybrid shines) I got 45 and then 47 on two separate trips (the computer gives the mileage for that trip when you turn the engine off).

My 2014 Rav4 did not get its first oil change until 13,000 miles.

The dummies did not follow their own Toyota Care schedule and change the oil.

Had to take it back and they changed it.

Honestly the 0w20 Full Synthetic is good for the long haul. 10k miles is not problem.

Post some UOA's I bet they all look fine.

When I bought my Jetta it was 10k oci, albeit on 5w40. But it "broke" me of the 3k oci habit.

On my 2011 Camry I have kept with 10k oci from the get-go, all on TGMO. Too early to know if that was good or bad. But it has a pretty easy life.

I bought my Tundra used as a three year old with 73k on the clock. It came with a recent oil change; I short changed it and changed at 80k to get it onto the same simple regiment. It too tends to live an easy life (but with an eight quart sump I am not too desirous of early changes!).

I change the 0W-20 Mobil 1 in my Crown Vic Police Interceptor every 3,000-3,500 miles. It probably is too frequent, but I really enjoy changing the oil. Hoping to reach 400,000 miles!

...so graduating from 3k to 5k to 7500 miles and intervals beyond can sometimes come with night sweats
smirk.gif

No kidding! I'm still struggling with that too!

I am getting to a dark amber maple syrup color on my truck, while the Camry is a bit lighter. As the truck was used I have no idea how it was taken care of--right now it is getting lots of highway miles so maybe there is some cleaning going on? OTOH I changed it last fall so it does have all of winters gunk in it.

I used to change the 0w20 in the Prius about every 10k when I did mostly highway miles. The changes were done using either Toyota 0w20 or Mobil 1 0w20.

During most changes, the drained oil would come out medium to dark brown. But by about 80k mark, the drained oil started coming out very very dark. To this day, I am not sure why this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back