Darwin Award?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yougoJAY
His name was Devon Staples
This is his Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/devon.staples.7?ref=br_rs
There is a video there I suggest you watch.
Your comments here are disgusting & it makes me [censored] off and sick to my stomach... Kudos to those who had sympathy for this tragic accident
ie1e2b.jpg

sad, yes.
However, the idiot put a mortar tube on his head. HELLO!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
It is unfortunate, but it is not an accident. Its the result of a poor decision made while inebriated.

Agreed. What interests me is why nobody tried desperately to
prevent him from doing that stupid move, even if they had to grab the stuff out of his hands.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: spasm3
It is unfortunate, but it is not an accident. Its the result of a poor decision made while inebriated.

Agreed. What interests me is why nobody tried desperately to
prevent him from doing that stupid move, even if they had to grab the stuff out of his hands.

...Alcoholics.

Alcoholics can be very dangerous to them selves and others at times. The further and further they go into their disease the worse they get. I have had some really terrible experiences with friends who over time became alcoholic.

Some beat the disease. Others I had to cease associating with because they caused so many problems. Several had multiple bouts with the law and one actually went to prison.

While it baffles the mind and we react by making light (with the Darwin thing...yes I do it too) this young man's disease caused his death. It's doubtful he would have done that sober.

Sad really. But you can't stop them. They have to want to stop themselves.

I feel sorry for his parents

Last edited:
What I find truly sad is that so-called "accidents" like this one only give ammunition to the anti-fireworks Gestapo- as if it was the mortar's fault...

How big a firework can you buy there? The amateur ones up here are pretty tame, but I can't say I've ever held onto one either. I would be surprised if any of ours could fracture a guys skull though, perhaps if you held the firing end tight against your head... Maybe he got the ends mixed up?

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: opus1
It's already started... Mom wants stricter regulations on fireworks

With all due respect she should just really shut up already. You can't fix stupid.

With all due respect, that's how you fix stupid, outlaw it so that it can't be done as easily.

You can't outlaw stupid. As soon as you outlaw one expression of stupidity, three more spring up.

No, you have to let stupid run it's course and naturally take itself out of the gene pool.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

With all due respect she should just really shut up already. You can't fix stupid.

With all due respect, that's how you fix stupid, outlaw it so that it can't be done as easily.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
You can't outlaw stupid. As soon as you outlaw one expression of stupidity, three more spring up.

No, you have to let stupid run it's course and naturally take itself out of the gene pool.

You fix stupid by making it harder to do stupid things. Like driving without seatbelts, there are laws that fine people for not wearing them, but people still die in accidents when they weren't wearing seatbelts. It's just that the compliance rate goes up so there's less of them. Similarly, if you outlaw fireworks, it makes them harder to get so that even though there's still stupid people out there, they won't be able to get them to do stupid things with them. It's known as the growth of the nanny state. It's why your coffee can't be too hot because you might spill some of it on yourself.

How does that fix stupid? The people are still stupid, and they breed more stupid people. It doesn't fix stupid. Such a strategy protects stupid so it's allowed to flourish in the gene pool.

No, you fix stupid by allowing stupid people to suffer the natural consequences of being stupid. They will either take themselves out of the gene pool, or people will learn from watching other stupid people and adjust their behavior.

If you simply make everything dangerous illegal, we'll stop making progress.

If you think it's a good idea to drink hot coffee in a moving car, the problem is NOT the hot coffee. Changing the temperature of the coffee doesn't fix the thought process that tells some people that's a wise act.

You fix stupid by making it harder to do stupid things. Like driving without seatbelts, there are laws that fine people for not wearing them, but people still die in accidents when they weren't wearing seatbelts. It's just that the compliance rate goes up so there's less of them. Similarly, if you outlaw fireworks, it makes them harder to get so that even though there's still stupid people out there, they won't be able to get them to do stupid things with them. It's known as the growth of the nanny state. It's why your coffee can't be too hot because you might spill some of it on yourself.

Yep.

The bad thing is, stupid people are more likely to have kids sooner and more of them. So they stand a good chance of passing on their genes still.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
What I find truly sad is that so-called "accidents" like this one only give ammunition to the anti-fireworks Gestapo- as if it was the mortar's fault...

Nah, if you ban everything dangerous it just allows Darwin award winners to reproduce. I'd say natural selection via fireworks is perfectly tolerable in our society. This is right in line with the Darwin award victims who played a game of catch with a grenade.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Because of alcoholic fools like him, we deal with endless warning labels on everything, even clothes.

Personally, I am glad this guy got himself killed.

Plenty of alcoholics lead lives filled with, well, not lighting fireworks off their head. Anyone dumb enough to do that would have likely done the same thing sober...

Quote:

Yes, let's ban fireworks so the millions of Americans who enjoy them can watch CSPAN on 4th of July instead of enjoy the fireworks outdoors with their families. It is completely necessary in order to protect those who would potentially light these explosives using their own skulls as launchpads. Think of them.

We should also ban steak knives. There are way too many accidental injuries and stabbings....plus the cutting of the steak with a dangerous object is not essential to liberty. If you want to keep your steak knife you're just a selfish person unwilling to eat with a spork for the sake of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back