P4 and Syn power or PYB and VWB question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so question, just throwing this out there. P4 and p4 ultra have a decent amount of moly right? Ok valvoline/Napa have sodium and no moly right. Ok from what I understand so far is that moly's biggest Job is anti wear and sodium is more anti corrosive. So if I switched every other oil change between p4 and syn power could there be any benefit to that? Why or why not?

Moly is generally a friction modifier, and not an AW compound. Personally, I don't like switching brands back and forth, and there are reasons for not doing so, and reasons for doing so. Trending UOAs and getting the most benefit from one additive package would favour sticking to one variety all the time.

I don't think you're going to find anything appreciably different by choosing any one of those and sticking with them, assuming they meet the requirements of your vehicle. It'll last just as long using any of those options.

I'd look for higher boron for anti wear rather than moly. Though moly can be considered somewhat an anti wear though its not really generally its purpose. Its more anti friction as mentioned. Its good for fuel economy some but not actually needed.
Zddp and boron are anti wear. Sodium, magnesium and calcium are used for anti corrosion / anti oxidization, tbn retention.

Ofcourse valvoline uses neither molly or boron and seems to do well regardless.

I have no problem with switching brands as often as one wants. You can buy what's priced well at the time and use it. I've had no ill effects as far as I can tell from that.

Basically I don't think brand makes much difference as long as it meets specification unless fuel dilution is a major issue. In that case some formulas are better than others.

Originally Posted By: salv
Valvoline uses non-metallic additives in place of organo-metallic compounds.

Not challenging your statement. Just curious what those non metallic additives are?

Technically I suppose it could but I think it would be pretty minimal. Resistance itself doesn't necessary equal wear. Film strength is probably more critical. Its more about keeping the lubrication in the clearances.
Its a good argument though, I can not deny. Slippery is definitely a good thing and moly is pretty slippery lol. Pyb, with all its moly, is a fantastic mineral based oil. It does, however have a decent shot of boron as well. In ways, perhaps it's better than the synthetics. Uoas shows it to be at least equal in my opinion. I would suppose that a good synthetic has an advantage in keeping deposits in suspension and carrying them out the drain hole during oil change.
I ofcourse am no expert and always welcome constructive criticism. That's my understanding though.

I meant to copy and respond to the post by Aquarius, where he raised the notion that less resistance could equal less wear. Not the quote I accidently included at the top of this post.

Last edited:
Valvoline conventional also shows some of the best UOAs. Makes me wonder as well what adds they're using that don't show up on analyses.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
But doesn't less friction = less wear,thus more moly being a good thing?

No, not exactly. There was good discussion on the matter here, and Mola made a fantastic post here. I'm sure there have been other discussions on the matter.

Valvoline conventional also shows some of the best UOAs. Makes me wonder as well what adds they're using that don't show up on analyses.

Agreed

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy

Not challenging your statement. Just curious what those non metallic additives are?

Good question! I wish they would tell us, but they won't. It's proprietary info. More than likely ester compounds.

Originally Posted By: Garak
But doesn't less friction = less wear,thus more moly being a good thing?

No, not exactly. There was good discussion on the matter here, and Mola made a fantastic post here. I'm sure there have been other discussions on the matter.

Man those discussions put a lot into perspective. I see more how fm can help enhance fluid longevity through sacrificial shearing in order to prevent shearing of base oils. Also it would seem fm can lesson the burden on aw as well, at least to a point.

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy

Good question! I wish they would tell us, but they won't. It's proprietary info. More than likely ester compounds.

I see, well I guess they don't want others cheating off their papers lol. Or free loading the fruits of their labor . That's understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back