New Dishwasher--Installation WTH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had our 12 year old Whirlpool Side by Side malfunction last week. Because of the pressing issue, along with other issues with the machine, decided that replacement instead of repair was the most prudent option.
Mrs Tdbo decided that fashion combined with some sense of "keeping up with the Jones," as well as too much HGTV, dictated that replacement appliance must be stainless steel. UGH!
So this would not match with the 12 year old Whirlpool Gold dishwasher in white that we have. Since it has issues and a control panel that I had to super glue together, I decided to bite the bullet and bought a new Bosch dishwasher in stainless to match. Our stove has a stainless top, so everything would match.
Part of the deal with the Bosch was free installation. Tech comes out to install today and says that the dishwasher would not fit because of the design of the Bosch requires 34" height.
I am trying to wrap my head around this because the actual height dimension of the Bosch is 33.875", which is a perfect match for the Whirlpool it is replacing (33.875"H.) All other dimensions on the Bosch are smaller. I see no reason that a 33.875"H Bosch cannot replace an installed 33.875" Whirlpool that is installed successfully in the same opening when all other dimensions on the Bosch are smaller.
A replacement Whirlpool would be between 34.5-35" high and a replacement Maytag would be 34.5"H.
Meeting with the salesman tomorrow to decide what to do. I frankly think that the installer didn't want to deal with the installation but I have no proof of this.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this or ideas why this dishwasher will truly not fit ?

No manufacture wants to make an oddball size that would limit sales so I suspect you were correct that the installer didn't want to mess with it. Talk to the salesman to confirm sizes. Ed

Changed out my daughter's DW. The back of the new one was different, had to lower water hose inlet in wall and lower the electrical box. Still only took 45'ish mins to change. Dish Washers have got to be the easiest appliance to swap out. I think the new one was a whirlpool, didn't even look.

I have put in a ton of dishwashers, and while it's true that sometimes a dishwasher doesn't fit, it sounds like it should fit in your application. I'm assuming that the dimensions you're supplying are accurate. It may be that the book says you need an opening 34" high.

Oftentimes, the height limit is imposed by a trim piece on the front of the cabinetry. If you truly need that extra 1/8", the trim piece can be cut (very carefully, preferably by a finish carpenter).

The installer may be concerned about uncrating the new unit, and then finding that it doesn't fit. That wouldn't go over too well with his boss, so he's doing a little CYA, most likely. I'd get ahold of his supervisor and explain the situation. Unless it's already uncrated, in which case you just pull the old dishwasher out, and see if the new one will slide in.

What is under the dishwasher, plywood flooring? Is there a drop down from kitchen flooring to the plywood? As you are pushing it in some will be at the kitchen floor height until its all the way in place.

I have seem some kitchen floors tiled and then difficult to get the dishwasher out.

What is your actual height?

I would assume most kitchen cabinets are a standard height. Thus the counter would also be a standard height.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Had our 12 year old Whirlpool Side by Side malfunction last week. Because of the pressing issue, along with other issues with the machine, decided that replacement instead of repair was the most prudent option.
Mrs Tdbo decided that fashion combined with some sense of "keeping up with the Jones," as well as too much HGTV, dictated that replacement appliance must be stainless steel. UGH!
So this would not match with the 12 year old Whirlpool Gold dishwasher in white that we have. Since it has issues and a control panel that I had to super glue together, I decided to bite the bullet and bought a new Bosch dishwasher in stainless to match. Our stove has a stainless top, so everything would match.
Part of the deal with the Bosch was free installation. Tech comes out to install today and says that the dishwasher would not fit because of the design of the Bosch requires 34" height.
I am trying to wrap my head around this because the actual height dimension of the Bosch is 33.875", which is a perfect match for the Whirlpool it is replacing (33.875"H.) All other dimensions on the Bosch are smaller. I see no reason that a 33.875"H Bosch cannot replace an installed 33.875" Whirlpool that is installed successfully in the same opening when all other dimensions on the Bosch are smaller.
A replacement Whirlpool would be between 34.5-35" high and a replacement Maytag would be 34.5"H.
Meeting with the salesman tomorrow to decide what to do. I frankly think that the installer didn't want to deal with the installation but I have no proof of this.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this or ideas why this dishwasher will truly not fit ?

Barbara Streisand!
just drop the legs all the way to the bottom, that will buy you an additional 1.5 inches.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I have put in a ton of dishwashers, and while it's true that sometimes a dishwasher doesn't fit, it sounds like it should fit in your application. I'm assuming that the dimensions you're supplying are accurate. It may be that the book says you need an opening 34" high.

Oftentimes, the height limit is imposed by a trim piece on the front of the cabinetry. If you truly need that extra 1/8", the trim piece can be cut (very carefully, preferably by a finish carpenter).

The installer may be concerned about uncrating the new unit, and then finding that it doesn't fit. That wouldn't go over too well with his boss, so he's doing a little CYA, most likely. I'd get ahold of his supervisor and explain the situation. Unless it's already uncrated, in which case you just pull the old dishwasher out, and see if the new one will slide in.

I am using the specifications from the Bosch and the Whirlpool website.
It (the Bosch) actually is the shortest DW that I can find.
I realize that part of his issue is that he is measuring from a laminate floor that was laid up to the existing dishwasher. However, the existing DW was installed after the laminate was in.
The DW cabinet opening is lower because there is a 1/4" underlayment, a layer of sheet vinyl, a foam underlayment, as well as the laminate floor. This is a 63 year old house. I'm sure this is not the first time that he would have dealt with such an issue. There was (and is) ample clearance to remove and install the dishwasher. I'm sure that he did not want to though on a
"basic" install. Thus, the issue.
The unit was unboxed in the back of his van, so I doubt that that was an issue. He told me that he was transporting it back to the store, he did not offer the option of leaving it. I have an appointment with the salesperson, and probably before it is over, the manager of the store. I will probably end up bring it home in the back of my truck and pay someone to install it or do it myself.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Barbara Streisand!
just drop the legs all the way to the bottom, that will buy you an additional 1.5 inches.

No legs on a Bosch.

Once i had to add 1/8 inch to the bottom of the laminate countertop to fit the washer under it. I think i used luan 7/32 board.

Get a bigger hammer....
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back