BP settles all oil spill claims for $18.7billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Are you going to go under the water with a submarine and plug up all the places where oil is seeping into the Gulf of Mexico??
smile.gif

Of course you believe that oil company propaganda. Show me one picture of an oil seep.

You are a moron, there are many just as there were many on land.

To call it propaganda is being dumber than a brick. Sorry but that's just how it is.

Oil companies aren't exactly being run by intellectuals.

Actually yes, they are. Yet another stupid statement from you.

Your ignorance about everything is stunning.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
[

You are a moron, there are many just as there were many on land.

To call it propaganda is being dumber than a brick. Sorry but that's just how it is.

I've seen your posts and I'll put my smarts against yours on any subject any day.

Its the other way around. People that fall for these arguments have sloping foreheads.

1. The earth is so big pollution gets dispersed and doesn't matter.
2. The earth pollutes itself, so if really doesn't matter if we are careful.

Let's put it to a vote. Who believes these principles.

People who have 5 vehicles teaching others about the horrific effects of oil and its derivitives is quite fascinating in and of itself. Do you need 5 vehicles?? I am not saying that you don't. It's just interesting
smile.gif
Does your home have wiring with hard plastic on it? Does your home have tyvec on it? Tar paper over the roof? Shingles? This list could go on and on with products that use petroleum derivitives.
Yes the world does pollute itself to a large degree. Go up to a volcano take a good wiff of what's coming out of it. Krakatoa's eruption ejected an enormous amount of gases and particulate matter into upper atmosphere. There have been a number of scientists who believe this single eruption placed more particulate matter in the atmosphere than ALL of mankind's activities prior to this singular event. A super volcano eruption from Yellowstone park would likely pollute this planet severely enough to just about wipe us off this planet.
The mid Atlantic ridge is constantly opening and releasing an tremendous amount of very harmful chemicals that do make their way to the ocean surface. The oddity is also that there are helpful chemical compounds that lead to life in and near this ridge has well. This planet gives life generating materials and it also has the great capacity to take it all away. Look at Mt. St. Helen's where it looked like the moon landscape in 1980. Today, there is life regenerating all over the mountain and surrounding areas. So yes, the planet certainly does pollute itself on a very large scale. But it also produces abundance of life with its destruction at times has well. It's all about finding equilibrium for the planet. Is it possible that mankind can upset this balance with poor practices? Yes. But this phenomenon was not truly possible until the 20th century's advancements.
That being said, the population explosion over the last one hundred years is going to reach a critical mass point. Too many people, dwindling natural resources, and increasing waste from the population is a very legitimate concern. I do agree with the premise that we cannot pollute without regard to present and future negative consequence. This fact is made more due to the large expansion of urban areas driven by large increases in population. We must find a semblance of balance in order to keep this planet habitable for future generations.

OT, bbhero, but the forest fires we had over the past couple weeks brought a pile of smoke here, and our daily highs dropped by up to 10 degrees Celsius from what was expected. So instead of being hot and clear, we were choking and couldn't see a block away.
wink.gif

I've seen your posts and I'll put my smarts against yours on any subject any day.

Its the other way around. People that fall for these arguments have sloping foreheads.

1. The earth is so big pollution gets dispersed and doesn't matter.
2. The earth pollutes itself, so if really doesn't matter if we are careful.

Let's put it to a vote. Who believes these principles.

Naw, let's not change the subject to "Is man-made pollution bad?"

You said that you believed underwater oil seeps were propaganda by the oil companies. Let's put that to a vote, OK?

Well I think that is an illogical and just terrible argument. And the oil companies can't bother to get a picture of the actual seep?

Oil companies aren't exactly being run by intellectuals.

Amazing comment given that thousands upon thousands of multi-degreed folks work there. Ahem, some are VERY large world wide companies. Just imagine the sheer logistics!

We love stuff like this. The burn is palpable...

Unbelievable conceit. Is this how you make friends?

As if you are somehow the post police now. We worry little about what you think and continue to post exactly as we please...

You said that you believed underwater oil seeps were propaganda by the oil companies. Let's put that to a vote, OK?

No, we can't do that. Only he is allowed to call votes on scientific principles, particularly after he twists the question. If anyone else does that, they obviously have no clue how science works.

Maybe he can put some mathematical principles up for vote next.

Originally Posted By: Garak

No, we can't do that. Only he is allowed to call votes on scientific principles, particularly after he twists the question. If anyone else does that, they obviously have no clue how science works.

Maybe he can put some mathematical principles up for vote next.

How would you know how to vote?

A bunch of forum buddies and lots of posts are no substitute for a degree. You don't have any paper do you? But you like to try and make people think you do. But that's what I love about science. Politics don't get you anywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Unbelievable conceit. Is this how you make friends?

As if you are somehow the post police now. We worry little about what you think and continue to post exactly as we please...

HA

Yep. This is from the same guy who builds engines but "knows" only hi-po builds use low tension rings.
And any "paper" he might have if at all came from a mail order college.

He still thinks people believe him. And no one does.

Thumbs up.
I'm cool.
Don't you get thumbs up Steve when you drive your car around.
HILLARIOUS
Even skyship was right once in a while.
Not sure why he's still here. No one listens to what he says,unless he's some kind of sadist who likes it.
Dunno
It is certainly entertaining.
Like a clown at the circus.
Entertain me turtle.
Like a clown does
Make me laugh

You don't have any paper do you?

I'll put my paper up against yours any day, to paraphrase something you said before.

Go for it.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to proctor the lesson, since my paper isn't good enough.

Well at least you know what an integral is, unless you're wikopeiaing like a mofo. We can make an exception and bring you in.

Not clevy or Stevesrt8 though. We need to have some standards.

Well at least you know what an integral is, unless you're wikopeiaing like a mofo. We can make an exception and bring you in.

Your responses are bizarre. You never answer questions but post meaningless, nonsensical retorts.

Weird.

Your responses are bizarre. You never answer questions but post meaningless, nonsensical retorts.

Weird.

I like that he says "we" like he's in a club or something. I can tell you there will not be much of a line to get in it!

As repeated many times before, imagining you are the smartest man in the room never makes it so...

Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: ccap41
3.19 million barrels of oil were spilled.

Interesting facts.

The oil was spilled into a 643 quadrillion gallon bathtub (12 quadrillion barrel eqiv.).

Or the oil spilled was 0.000000026% of the gulf's seawater volume.

Mississippi deposits that much water (3MM gallons) into the gulf every second.

In the Gulf of Mexico, there are more than 600 natural oil seeps that leak between one and five million barrels of oil per year.

Just putting the leak in perspective.

Weird. The pipeline spill we just had here in Santa Barbara, was quite small, only 20k gallons or so. YET, there were dozens of marine mammals and birds killed. We have tons of natural seeps out here, yet you don't see oiled seals, sea lions, and birds every day. How's that for perspective?

There's a big difference in the concentration when WE cause a spill vs the natural amount that seeps out over a big area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back