Post your latest small engine oil change

Mid 2000's(?) "Southern States" (YTP/Craftsman/Husqvarna) riding mower. 24HP Briggs V-Twin.
Out: Something old and black, Briggs Power Equipment Filter
In: 2 quarts Fred's conventional 10W-30, Driveworks DW-241 filter.

The mower got its annual oil change today, about thirty hours on the oil.

Out: M1 15W-50

In: Valvoline 20W-50 MC syn

I had an odd quart of the M1 laying around last year, so that's what the Tecumseh got. The Valvo was on clearance at three bucks a quart this year, so that's what the thing got.

SCAG 36" w/ Kawasaki FH381V 13hp
Out: RP Motorcycle & ATV 10W-30, K&N HP-1003
In: RL Motorcycle 10W-30, WIX 51394XP

JD JX75 w/ Kawasaki FC150V 6.5hp
Out: RP Motorcycle & ATV 10W-30, K&N HP-1003
In: RL Motorcycle 10W-30, WIX 51394XP

Accidental oil change, since I didn't secure the oil dipstick while I was changing the blade, originally the change was due to be in a month.

Craftsman mower with Briggs & Stratton 650 series.

OUT: Valvoline SynPower 5W-30

IN: Pennzoil Platinum PP 5W-30

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Snapper rear engine rider. 8HP Briggs. Out, ???. In, 28 ounces of Delo 30 weight.
This Snapper was originally a 25" hi-vac. The deck, blade and spindle were damaged long ago, and it sat for 10 years. The local Snapper dealer said it could not be repaired, parts were no longer available. Technically, he was correct. However, the 28" deck is available, as well as the spindle common to all the RER's. So, a little comparison shopping, and a new 28" deck, spindle and blade were obtained. I reassembled the thing this past weekend, (all the parts are a direct bolt up), and with fresh fuel, got it going. So it's back in use, and on Delo with a change planned about every 15 hours or so.

Kudos for being so resourceful with your Snapper rider.

honda-3.jpg

2015 Honda HRR216VKA Self Propelled Mower
OCI: 40 hours
Out: Delo 5W-40 with a shot of Lubro-Moly
In: Delo 15W-40 with a shot of Lubro-Moly

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
honda-3.jpg

That is one nice looking mower! How old is it?

Originally Posted By: iahawk
That is one nice looking mower! How old is it?

Bought it new in mid-March, before the mowing season started here.
Sure doesn't look that nice and shiny now, it gets used quite regularly - as in 12-15 times a week. Even on my larger lawns, I use it for trim work around houses, bushes, and low-branching trees. Makes for less trimming that way. lol

I change oil every 35-40 hours since it has no oil filter and takes very little oil at that.
I also installed (using zip ties around the handle bar) a cheap Ebay tach/hour meter - one of those $12 wonders with the wire that wraps around the spark plug wire. Low-bucks investment and takes the guesswork out of maintenance schedules, plus I get to keep an eye on RPM's that way too. Not the most accurate device, but I only wanted it for the hour meter anyway.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Gravely ProTurn 52
Kawasaki FS691V
5.3hours on oil/unit

Out: Factory Fill/Kaw 49065-7007
In: ST 30/Kaw 49065-7007

To be dumped at 10ish hours.

BITOG Mentality: Only the best HDEO

Realistically: No, changing the oil at all is better than probably 90% of the OPE out there.

what's interesting, only viscosity of oil is specified and nothing else (ie SL vs SA, etc). Me thinks, those small engines run at low temps enough, that oil quality doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
honda-3.jpg

I have pretty much the identical mower (GCV160 engine) and the owner's manual calls for 10W-30 to be used and 5W-30 for colder climates. You can use what you want, but you are using a non-recommended viscosity.

I bought my Honda back in 2013 and it has been an excellent mower, love it (as much as one can love a lawnmower).

i just changed OEM oil (OWT industries, USA, 10w30) after about 10 hrs in a pressure washer with 212cc chonda. i used 10w30 PYB. old oil surprisingly dark with silver swirls and smells like wet dog. is this normal???

Back