5000 miles or 6 month is typical oil change now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is 5000 miles or 6 month is typical oil change now aday for dino oil ? for example mobil super 5000 , penzoil YB... with daily mix highway and city driving...

Yes, or even longer. Some manufacturers now allow 7500 miles or 12 months on mineral oil.

Modern API SN / ILSAC GF-5 oil is pretty good stuff.

Yeah it seems to be typical for cars that don't have an OLM.

Even Jiffy Lube said cars average 5k OCI's even with advertising their 3000-mile [censored].

Its not the oil its the car. Go by your owners manual.

You need to define what typical means.
If you go by the best selling cars by volume which would be your toyota camrys corolla, nissan altima and honda civics and accords these all have been at at least 5k intervals for over a decade

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Its not the oil its the car. Go by your owners manual.

You need to define what typical means.
If you go by the best selling cars by volume which would be your toyota camrys corolla, nissan altima and honda civics and accords these all have been at at least 5k intervals for over a decade

typical american v8 1500 truck line. expedition, tahoe, silverado....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yes, or even longer. Some manufacturers now allow 7500 miles or 12 months on mineral oil.

Or even 10,000 miles like most Ford IOLMs do on conventional 5w20.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
is 5000 miles or 6 month is typical oil change now aday for dino oil ?

For your typical normal person yes. Normal people are clueless.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

typical american v8 1500 truck line. expedition, tahoe, silverado....

My 1500 Suburbans were all 5000

I usually do 5000miles or once a year on regular oil.

I think all of fords 5w20 is a semi-syn, maybe that's why they say its ok for 10k? I would not do 10k on a turbo motor with a semi-syn but that's just me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yup, Hyundai recommends a 12 month/7500 mile oci with any conventional SM/GF-4 for non-turbos.

Last edited:
In my area, an independent repair shop owner decided to have a little fun with this OCI thing many years ago.

He bought a brand new 1989 Honda Accord 4 cyl in same year.

Put 250,000 miles on the clock. During that time he changed the oil filter once at 125,000 and kept oil topped up.

He never changed the oil.

At 250,000, the engine was torn down. Gunked up mess for sure, but oddly enough, the car was running fairly well just before tear-down.

In spite of this revelation, I'm still old-school, change more often than needed because I like working on cars and crawling underneath and lurking above gives me a chance to see how things are going.

Change the oil on your car whenever you like.

Originally Posted By: LesterL
He bought a brand new 1989 Honda Accord 4 cyl in same year.

Put 250,000 miles on the clock. During that time he changed the oil filter once at 125,000 and kept oil topped up.

He never changed the oil.

Who knew that Honda's factory fill was a long life oil, even as far back as 1989?
smile.gif

I'm on a twice yearly Spring/Fall 10-12K KMS OCI. The F150 has a OLM which is new to me, so we'll see how that falls within my schedule...right now it's looking pretty close
smile.gif
I may swap it out early as I'm anxious to do my first OC on it. P4 and NAPA Gold filter have been on the shelf for over a month lol

My 2010 Ford Fusion specs a 7500 mile OCI for what they call 'Typical driving.'

In fact, they spec that for all Ford vehicles made from 2008 onward. 7500 miles / 6 months for 2008 and newer, and 5000 miles / 6 months for 2007 and older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back