New Truck buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to apologize. I just thought you should know that American brands can be less American than Japanese brands. You have to look at the label. The Nissan plant in MS is a newer one.

I'm 6' and 180 lbs. There is a lot of head and leg room available in the Frontier. It's not at all comparable to the 1978 Datsun pickup I had 16 years ago except in fuel economy and still significantly better overall than the 1996 Dakota I had.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Go with Toyota or Nissan. GM and Ford is bleeding edge tech and overpriced.

What bleeding edge tech is in the GM and Ford that's not in the Toyota or Nissan?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
For $30k OTD? On a 2wd yes, 4wd no.

Also for an F150, probably not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-150-XLT-T...em=361334488003

I stand corrected, these trucks don't exist in the northeast. My buddy is F150 shopping and they are all 4wd and OTD is in the mid $40k range.

IME shopping Ford was by far the most expensive. I would have had to pay a ton more to get even close to the level of equipment I got on my Ram.

My pilot buddy has had his regular cab F150 on order for months. It hasn't been shipped because Ford is loading dealers up with maxed out trucks for bigger profits. And folks are buying them in droves...

Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
The OP stated how he's going to use the truck and it's spot on with how I use mine. The Frontier is quiet, economical and does everything he said he needs. Except that he doesn't want a "small truck" and wants an American brand. My Frontier is mid sized and built in Mississippi, but he can buy his full sized, made in Mexico Ram and probably will. How much will he sacrifice to meet that want?

Uhh, sorry for having a preference. I thought this was America here where we can want different things.

My Sonata is a large midsize car. Is a Frontier at least as big inside? I cannot go smaller than what I already have. I'm a big guy. 5'11" 240lbs. Plus, if I was going for a Japanese vehicle, I'd want one actually made in Japan which is rare these days.

As far as Hecho en Mexico, I don't know what's worse. Built in a very high tech plant in Mexico or built in Michigan by some over paid union workers who don't care about anything except their next paycheck?

I agree with you,I prefer Japan made Japanese vehicles.

Yep, still have not seen a regular cab in the wild yet.

I've seen a few down this way.. not many though. For what it's worth...

They are rare birds these days.

Just my guess based on regular cabs I see GM seems to sell the most. Ford right behind them, but not the new ones.

I have still only seen one other Ram like mine, most are no option fleet trucks.

Last edited:
There was ONE regular cab 2WD RAM 1500 available in my are, and that was an absolute base model for $25,400. I found a few used 2014 Chevy's but they wanted nearly as much as a new one. Finally, I found a pair of Ram 1500 Regular Cab long bed 2WD trucks at Westgate Chrysler in Indiana. Both were identical Big Horns with the rear limited slip differential, towing package, power heated mirrors with auto dimming, heated seats and steering wheel, 10 way power drivers seat, 8.4" touchscreen, and all of the other goodies. Both had the Pentastar V6 and 8 speed. One was white and the other was Deep Cherry Crystal Metallic pearl. I had my local dealer go get the red one. Right now the white one is under $28k and it is loaded!

That's a screaming deal.

When I bought mine I was trying to buy a truck like that in PA except it was 4wd, sticker was $36k or $38k I forget now, dealer would not move more than $2k off sticker.

Must have been a special order because it had the center console which I have never seen since on a regular cab. Made it a two seater but would have been perfect for how I use it.

That's a screaming deal.

When I bought mine I was trying to buy a truck like that in PA except it was 4wd, sticker was $36k or $38k I forget now, dealer would not move more than $2k off sticker.

Must have been a special order because it had the center console which I have never seen since on a regular cab. Made it a two seater but would have been perfect for how I use it.

I have to say that as a Chevy HD guy for nearly 26 years, I love this truck so far. Time will tell, but so far, this truck is solid, smooth, quiet and very efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back