Nissan S-Matic or generic ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2006 G35 with just over 100 000 km (60k miles). I don't know when the transmission fluid was last changed so I would like to change it out. I inspected the fluid and it is dark but no foul smells.

The owner's manual prescribes Nissan J-Matic ATF. This was superceeded to S-Matic a few years back. I can get the S-Matic at the local Nissan dealer for around $14 a quart. My question is whether I can use generic ATF. I have some leftover unused Valvoline Maxlife that I used in a previous car that states on the back that it can be used in Nissan/Infiniti where J or S Matic are called for. The Infiniti forums seem to think I'll destroy my transmission if I don't use the Nissan fluid but I don't buy that. Can I use generic fluid or is it safer to stick to OEM fluid for my application?

Last edited:
Any ATF that mentions either spec can be used. Some are blends and others are full synth.

Whats it say on the ol' bottle label of Maxlife that you have?

First,
welcome2.gif

Yes, you can use Maxlife, which meets Nissan-Matic J and S
smile.gif

We have serviced hundreds of G35s with Maxlife ATF at the shop - no known issues to report.

+1 for valvoline maxlife dex/merc

thats what we run in our 06 nissan altima 3.5l and its about to hit 200k miles

I also advise to go for the maxlife
save some money. Maxlife is not generic =). Its a good quality lube at a great price and just happens to be suitable for your spec.

I will go with the Maxlife. How many quarts do I need for a drain and fill? The service manual says to disconnect the cooler line so that the old fluid is pumped out with the engine running. I suppose this would get more of the old fluid out but it sounds risky if new fluid isn't going in fast enough.

You put the low pressure line into the bottle of ATF and the high pressure line into an old oil bottle.

You keep feeding fluid until the fluid gets clear.

Trav or someone else here may have diagram to describe the hose circuits.

I would get 4 gallons minimum, since most of the Nissan trannies seem to take about 12 quarts.

Just checked my '012 Frontier manual and its AT takes approx. 11 7/8 Liters or 12 quarts for a complete change.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back