Ford Ecoboost 2.0L-Any Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
There are some stellar cars coming out of Asia today but they aren't Hyundais and they most certainly aren't Subaru's. LOL

The Subaru hate on this forum is ridiculous. Not quite sure what they did to get BITOG's panties in a bunch besides become more popular.

Put some cheap chinese tires on a Subaru and you're bound to give a few people here a conniption.

I want to go out and get a Subaru and put some Chinese tires on it
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
There are some stellar cars coming out of Asia today but they aren't Hyundais and they most certainly aren't Subaru's. LOL

The Subaru hate on this forum is ridiculous. Not quite sure what they did to get BITOG's panties in a bunch besides become more popular.

Put some cheap chinese tires on a Subaru and you're bound to give a few people here a conniption.

grin.gif

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Are you saying that a Subaru with cheap tires would be horrible in the snow? If so, then of course it would, so would anything else.

grin.gif

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Are you saying that a Subaru with cheap tires would be horrible in the snow? If so, then of course it would, so would anything else.

I was being facetious. People love to bash Subarus and any tire that isn't a Michelin. I figured I would make the car that people would really hate.

Any car, without proper tires, is going to be bad in the snow.

well we don't have to worry cause "horse123" promised he would not read anything from the Ford fanboys trying to change his mind....lol

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Frankly it almost makes me think that another competitor's social media people are participating? Could it be? I think so.

LOL Subaru is still basically a niche automaker. No one is threatened enough to send shills. But that's exactly what a shill would say! WoooooOOooooo spooooky!

They're almost the BITOG dream car. They really are the only automaker that seems to design with serviceability in mind. I mean, come on, external spin-on trans filters?! It's almost like they were designed for BITOG.

But then there's the oil burning and the headgaskets. What good is a gun-shy hunting dog? What good is a house built on sand?

It's not THAT uncommon for an automaker to buy a shipload of engines from another OEM and stick them in their own cars. If Subaru would bite the bullet and do that, I would buy one for me and one for my wife. The Japanese auto market is so incestuous that it should really take one phone call to get 50,000 Honda or Toyota motors lined up.

What else would fit in the engine bay? They are all front-to-back horizontally opposed engines. I don't think anyones upright overhead cam 4 cylinder would fit in the engine bay. Would have to stick something short like an iron duke or AMC150 in it haha.

I must be reading a different version of BITOG, as I haven't recorded the "hate" of Subarus being here.

I've been driving them through work for a 1/4 century, and I found the original Leone type (FWD normally, engage rigid 4WD and Low range) extremely durable and quite utilitarian.

Have driven Forresters, manual, aust, petrol, turbo petrol, and turbodiesel...they are OK and well equipped, but the AWD saps a fair bit of power.

Many workmates have them, for 150-60,000 miles, only seen one headgasket...lots of oil leaks due to submerged valve cover gaskets...a couple of clutches.

As to the 2 litre ecoboost, it's interestingly installed in the Oz falcon, in a location that's sized for a straight 6.

http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2015/large-passenger/ford/ford-falcon-ecoboost-2015-review-48666

What else would fit in the engine bay? They are all front-to-back horizontally opposed engines. I don't think anyones upright overhead cam 4 cylinder would fit in the engine bay. Would have to stick something short like an iron duke or AMC150 in it haha.

That AMC 150 wasn't even good in my YJ where it belonged!

I currently own a Ford Escape with the 2.0 and love it. Oh, it's AWD as well.

The fuel mileage can be very polarizing. From my experience winter blend fuel really hurts economy. I'm not a fast driver I will hover right around the speed limit and in the winter months, on top of cold starts and the vehicle warming up. I noticed an easy 2-3mpg hit over the winter and instantly on my first take that apparently had summer blend in it because it was the first significant jump in fuel economy and it hasn't fallen out of the ordinary since. My Escape currently has about 42k miles on it(I bought it with 34k) and haven’t had any issues. Here is a link to my Fuelly page and you can skim around and check out the winter/summer difference.

ccap's fuelly page

The power is adequate and will keep the enthusiast “entertained”. It obviously isn’t actually fast but it isn’t a dog either. Good passing power when you want it, good fuel economy when you want it. Set the cruise at 50mph and you’ll get 32mpg. Cruise around 75+ and you’re looking more at the epa ratings of 28mpg. Some still claim 30+mpg at those speeds but I call [censored]. I live in southern Illinois where the land is pretty dang flat and if there is a place to get good mpg here would be one of them. I’m not a sucker for the 91/93 octane fuel as there isn’t enough benefit or the additional cost. I actually run mid grade and that is just because I don’t feel like turbo cars should be utilizing the absolute minimum, that is just personal feeling though. But, I do always use a top tier station(one reason I don’t use premium as top tier stations are usually $0.30-0.50/gallon more than regular). I also only get to use 10% ethanol blended(junk) fuel here and many other Escape owners claim decent gains if you can use 100% gasoline fuel.

Any other questions about the new gen Escape feel free to ask. I can at least try and help you out.

Well, there are some V6 and V8 conversions floating around, so other things do fit.

Originally Posted By: ccap41

The fuel mileage can be very polarizing. From my experience winter blend fuel really hurts economy. I'm not a fast driver I will hover right around the speed limit and in the winter months, on top of cold starts and the vehicle warming up. I noticed an easy 2-3mpg hit over the winter and instantly on my first take that apparently had summer blend in it because it was the first significant jump in fuel economy and it hasn't fallen out of the ordinary since. My Escape currently has about 42k miles on it(I bought it with 34k) and haven’t had any issues. Here is a link to my Fuelly page and you can skim around and check out the winter/summer difference.

ccap's fuelly page

The power is adequate and will keep the enthusiast “entertained”. It obviously isn’t actually fast but it isn’t a dog either. Good passing power when you want it, good fuel economy when you want it. Set the cruise at 50mph and you’ll get 32mpg. Cruise around 75+ and you’re looking more at the epa ratings of 28mpg. Some still claim 30+mpg at those speeds but I call [censored]. I live in southern Illinois where the land is pretty dang flat and if there is a place to get good mpg here would be one of them. I’m not a sucker for the 91/93 octane fuel as there isn’t enough benefit or the additional cost. I actually run mid grade and that is just because I don’t feel like turbo cars should be utilizing the absolute minimum, that is just personal feeling though. But, I do always use a top tier station(one reason I don’t use premium as top tier stations are usually $0.30-0.50/gallon more than regular). I also only get to use 10% ethanol blended(junk) fuel here and many other Escape owners claim decent gains if you can use 100% gasoline fuel.

Any other questions about the new gen Escape feel free to ask. I can at least try and help you out.

Try the 91 for a bit and see what happens. After a few months I managed to convince my parents to run 91. The jump in mileage makes it a bit cheaper to run 91 octane gas. It's only like $20 per 1000 miles, but it is not more expensive.

ccap's fuelly page

Try the 91 for a bit and see what happens. After a few months I managed to convince my parents to run 91. The jump in mileage makes it a bit cheaper to run 91 octane gas. It's only like $20 per 1000 miles, but it is not more expensive.

Is that 91 octane 100% gasoline or contain 10% ethanol? Because I initially started with 87 octance as a little baseline, then I went up to 89, and I've tried 91 a couple times with no real significant different to justify any cost gains. But..I have heard good things about the 91/93 octane that is 100% gas.

I'll give it another shot though.

ccap's fuelly page

Is that 91 octane 100% gasoline or contain 10% ethanol? Because I initially started with 87 octance as a little baseline, then I went up to 89, and I've tried 91 a couple times with no real significant different to justify any cost gains. But..I have heard good things about the 91/93 octane that is 100% gas.

I'll give it another shot though.

You bring up a good point. It's 91 ethanol free for everyday driving as they live 2 miles from a station that sells 91 ethanol free. There's a bigger price prmium for 91 ethanol free but it still comes out slightly cheaper. On trips we have used 10% ethanol 91 and didn't notice much of a mileage hit - it was still 30MPG cruising on the 91/10 , same as the 91/0.

I don't know the geography of where you are located, but there are a lot of hills here. The 2.0L has ridiculously tall gearing - 3.07 I believe - and it is always running at
My suspicion is that there would not be as significant of an improvement in an area that isn't as hilly.

Before they started using 91 in the Escape, I learned I was able to get better mileage out of it by dropping a gear or two using the select-shift on hills. It was running a higher RPM but not overfueling to prevent detonation. It's probably better for the intake valves - less fuel into the cylinders and past the rings is less junk on the intake valves.

Winter? All bets are off. They idle the thing for 25 minutes every morning before my mother's 20 minute commute to work.

To the OP... It depends on how long you intend to keep the vehicle that you purchase. If you will be trading every 4-5 years, then buy whatever you want, you should be alright. If you want to run the vehicle until the wheels fall off, then STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING WITH A TURBOCHARGER. When the turbocharger fails, and it WILL fail, unless it is still relatively young and you don't mind spending a bunch of money on it, the vehicle will likely be finished because the economics of fixing it won't make sense. There are also a few other "life ending" problems that a turbocharger can cause like blown head gaskets, burned pistons, and burned valves that are relatively rare occurrences on most well maintained normally aspirated engines.

Last edited:
I don't see these Ecoboost engines (or any of the other GTDI engines on the market) dropping turbos.

It's not the 1960s,70s,80s ...

I don't see these Ecoboost engines (or any of the other GTDI engines on the market) dropping turbos.
It's not the 1960s,70s,80s ...

I have.
In the car business we have seen a fair number of early Ecoboost turbo failures and Ford is notoriously VERY difficult to deal with when it comes to fixing them under warranty. I owned a Mazdaspeed3 that lost 2 turbos in under 100k miles and a friend of mine had a Mazda CX-7 that also lost 2 turbos in under 100k miles. I have another friend who is the used car manager at the local Mazda dealer group and he will NOT purchase used CX-7s because he has seen so many turbo failures. Mazda is also VERY difficult to deal with when it comes to fixing them under warranty. His internal price to replace a turbo is just under $2000, the replacement price to the public is quite a bit higher. Keep in mind that Mazda products are very close relatives to Ford products mechanically.
Honda was having early turbo failures on the Acura RDX which caused them to stop building them with the turbo 4cyl and install the normally aspirated V/6 instead.
BMW is constantly having turbo problems. One guy that I know who owned an X6 V/8 had both turbos fail TWICE, and a blown head gasket, all within 45k miles. He didn't drive it like he stole it. BMW fixed it under warranty but the repairs that they did would have cost him in excess of $20000 if he was paying for them. Needless to say, since his warranty was about to expire, he got rid of it.
Subaru seems to have a little better luck with their turbos, most lasting over 100k miles, but they do have head gasket problems on their turbocharged engines.
I reiterate, a turbo WILL fail. It is not a matter of if, just when.

Headgasket problems on older non-turbo Subarus yes...

I've never heard of a HG failing on any turbo car, usually it is a valve or just the bottom end blowing out from abuse or factory defect.

ALSO my older VW had 180k on it's factory turbo.

Last edited:
I rented an Escape AWD 2.0 Ecoboost in California and took it on a driving vacation up the West coast, and into the mountains.

I absolutely loved that vehicle. Besides the fact that it was really comfortable and had a great stereo, it drove like a sports car.

The power was really fun and ample for this type of vehicle, with a responsive feel and I thought it sounded good too. Quite unlike most droning 4 cylinder cars, it had a very nice overall quality feel. Up at altitude, it lost no power, another nice feature.

The transmission was always in the right gear and shifted rapidly and smoothly, without being soft or slushy. Just right.

The suspension was also a pleasant surprise. Handled the twisty roads very well, with a tight, controlled ride. We drove that thing like a race car through the mountain roads. Superb all around performance.

We drove down to the river bed and motored around in the gravel, then climbed a very steep, sandy/rocky hill. The AWD seemed to work just fine. The AWD version does not have any FWD "torque steer". The FWD only version does. It's powerful enough to pull the steering wheel around a bit, like any FWD vehicle with more than 200HP.

I liked it so much, I want to purchase one.

Edit: I got about 23MPG with it, in mixed city/highway driving. Remember, I'm a horsepower junkie, so I drove it hard, to enjoy using the power when conditions permit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back