I thought R-12 was some kind of secret chemical

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you had to have a certification and sign something,a big hassle to get R-12 refrigerant?... Not really, got a can off of E-bay no questions asked, had to sign nothing. Screw the retro-fit nonsense, long live R-12!

You are suppose to have a Refrigerant Handling License/Certification. Don't know how Ebay sellers are getting away with that, Maybe R-12 has fallen off the EPA radar?

R-12 from our refrigerators and air conditioners never rises high enough to destroy atmospheric ozone. R-12 sinks; it doesn’t rise. Even convection currents would not carry enough man-made R-12 to the ozone layer in 100 years.

....anyways you can get R12 in Mexico. Even though you supposedly need a license to buy R12, it is available in the small cans on ebay. You just need to sign a form that you plan to resell it. That means BLAZE SIGNED THAT FORM AS WELL (he MUST have been mistaking in OP) ;D, perfectly legal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
R-12 from our refrigerators and air conditioners never rises high enough to destroy atmospheric ozone. R-12 sinks; it doesn’t rise. Even convection currents would not carry enough man-made R-12 to the ozone layer in 100 years.

Maybe you should take a basic chemistry class at your local CC and learn about solutions and mixtures.

According to your logic, we should all be dead since nitrogen, which makes up most of our troposphere and is heavier than oxygen, would all sink to the earth's surface, preventing us from obtaining the oxygen our bodies need... but that's not how gaseous solutions and mixtures work.

How much? It used to cost an arm when people had R-12 systems, but i can't imagine much of a market for it now so maybe the hoarders are getting rid of their stock.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
How much? It used to cost an arm when people had R-12 systems, but i can't imagine much of a market for it now so maybe the hoarders are getting rid of their stock.

Local AC shop still has plenty of R12, lots of vehicles around here still running it including my 83 Silverado.

duponts patent on r12 expired in 1993, all 1994 cars used duponts new r134a. coincedence? big biz at work as usual

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I sell lots of it out here.there are some cars that won't take a r134a retrofit. I buy it wherever I can find it. These older cars are gone on your side but many are still on the road here

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Maybe you should take a basic chemistry class at your local CC and learn about solutions and mixtures.

According to your logic, we should all be dead since nitrogen, which makes up most of our troposphere and is heavier than oxygen, would all sink to the earth's surface, preventing us from obtaining the oxygen our bodies need... but that's not how gaseous solutions and mixtures work.

You just gave me the funniest mental vision of all the chihuahuas in the world suffocating due to the layer of CO2 sitting on the ground...and no worms to eat them, as they would all be dead too. Don't fall asleep on the floor or you'll die.

I too think Vern's "physics" is a little wrong.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
You just gave me the funniest mental vision of all the chihuahuas in the world suffocating due to the layer of CO2 sitting on the ground...

Perhaps that is why small dogs are usually hyperactive, they must stir the air, mixing it, in order not to suffocate. It would also explain why small dogs jump on your lap, they are getting out of the CO2 zone, for a brief rest.

I have close to 25 lbs on it. I have the license and bought it years ago so I wouldn't have to convert my older vehicles, now 1 vehicle to 134A. It works waaaaaay better than a 134A conversion.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Perhaps that is why small dogs are usually hyperactive, they must stir the air, mixing it, in order not to suffocate. It would also explain why small dogs jump on your lap, they are getting out of the CO2 zone, for a brief rest.

Makes sense...

I bought some off eBay a few months back, just by putting a note in my Paypal notes section that I was purchasing it for resale to a certified A/C tech.

There is LOTS of R-12 still out there. The lady I bought mine from found a few dozens cans in a storage shed in her backyard after her husband died. Was talking to my neighbor and I noticed he had a couple dusty cans sitting on top of a cabinet in his garage, Craiglist has lots of listings for it, its everywhere.

Ironically I had a harder time finding an R-12 charging hose than I did finding a can of R-12. Couldn't find any of mine anywhere, none of the chain auto parts stores have them anymore.... luckily my friend found one in his barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back