Bridgestone DriveGuard RF tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In general, what opinions have you all about RF tires? I've reached an age (70+) where changing a tire on the side of the highway has lost all its charm, if there ever was any! My wife and I have plans to see several national parks out west this fall. While I have a nearly new set of Goodyear Assurance touring tires I have begun to worry about flats in out of the way places...far from home.

I've already bought a set of four DriveGuards that I haven't had mounted yet on the original steel wheels:

Size: 225/50RF17
With RunFlat Extended Mobility
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 94W
UTQG: 460 A A

Do any of you have direct experience with these tires or know someone with a set? It seems these tires have been out for about a year or so, and there aren't a lot of comments on Tirerack, etc.

They are worse in every way than normal tires. Esp fuel economy.

If you actually drive on them when flat you need to replace the tire.

They are a good idea but the design compromises to make it runflat are just exceedingly bad.

That all being said they are really good for runflat tires.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Runflat tires are the most worthless invention in the last 100 years.

Yep,

If you want easy, get an electric scissor jack (12v)
a HF breaker bar, and a full size spare.

I like them but ride may be harsh if your suspension isn't set up for them.

Th big downer is cost, but technically they're not more expensive than a go-flat + replacement cost for the "single use" donut spare.

You are one of the reasons there is a market for RF tires. I bought a minivan with RF tire for my wife and then toddler for the same reason, not to have to change a tire on the side of the road.

Have a set on daughters 14 MB that came with run flats (Pirelli P7 and no spare) DriveGuards are much quieter, smoother ride. MPG seems about the same, although I really haven't focused on that aspect. People I know who replaced conventional tires for the same reason you did notice a slight difference in ride but very slight. IMO piece of mind for you will outweigh whatever you give up on ride quality. Use them on your trip....relax and enjoy your vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back