Change it out, leave it, or new filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snoman002
As mentioned, your drop to 40% due to due to 3400 city miles is not indicative of what its going to do running highway miles. I doubt that trip will move the OLM by more than 10%.

Unless your running the mountains, full loaded, at 80 mph with a roof carrier...then all bets are off.

It's highway 81 from Ontario Canada to Myrtle Beach, ~1100 lbs of people and gear (no roof box or trailer) travelling at a conservative 70 mph.

Originally Posted By: Mauro

It's highway 81 from Ontario Canada to Myrtle Beach, ~1100 lbs of people and gear (no roof box or trailer) travelling at a conservative 70 mph.

Easy, easy drive. Leave it in for sure. Zero issues.

Hi guys,

I plan on taking a 2200 mile road trip with my 07 Odyssey (non VCM) and I currently have 3400 miles on the PP 5W20 I have in it now with a P1 filter. MM says 40% so I have 3 options:

1) Replace oil and filter prior to trip
2) Replace only filter and top up prior to trip
3) Replace oil and filter after trip.

Just wanted to get your opinions. Engine is in great shape (only 63K miles). Thanks for your replies!

You forgot your 4th option:

4) Change oil and filter when you get back, no need to do anything.

3400 + 2200 = 5600

5600 miles is under what PP can go, just leave the oil and filter alone.

I'm pretty confident in the performance of the oil therefore I'm not too concerned about the MM as it is most likely calibrated for the lowest quality 5W20 API Spec (whatever it was for 2007). I'll check the oil before I leave and then again before the trip back. Like I said I've never noticed my oil level drop at all over a 4500 mile interval. I'm definitely going to swap the filter out after the trip as I don't trust the Purolator P1 filter going two OCI (only have 1 more left in my stash, then I'll start using my Mann stash).

If you don't trust the Purolator P1 oil filter, then why did you install it?

I am a big OEM filter person, I would run the Honda oil filter if possible.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Leave it alone. Bring top off oil for trip.

Agree with the above.....You have a top-tier oil (PP) that should go for 8K to 10K easily, and an excellent filter. Highway mileage is easy on oil, so cool it.

Move out and enjoy you trip....and sleep easy!

BTW, on your way home, pick up some excellent Oil at a WalMart for future oil changes. Much cheaper in the U.S.

I'm not concerned about running the P1 for 4500 miles which is what I've typically done (always changed filter with every oil change). What I might end up doing before my trip is just put on a new filter and top off the oil. Once I'm back, run it for another 500 miles and swap out the filter and oil. I'll probably sleep better if I do that.

I wouldn't even bother with changing out the filter before the trip. It's not going to have any adverse effects if you leave it on. Go and have fun, and do the oil & filter change when you get back.

Thanks guys for your input! I only read about the P1 potential tearing issues only recently. I had a stash of around 6 filters that I've been slowly going through the last couple of years (1 left). With todays exchange rate, I can get PP on sale here for pretty much the same price as in the US. I'll still keep my eyes open for any great deals! Thanks again
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back