Anyone know of a website to plan roadtrips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be driving half way across the US this fall and I was wondering if there was any website anyone knows of where you could put in your route or at least destinations and have it tell you what's cool to see along the way. Anyone?

edit: [censored] maybe some of you can recommend things to see, have to be short stop and look then get back in and drive things, not go spending 3 hours in a museum or anything.

Minneapolis to Milwaukee to Chicago to Indianapolis to Louisville to Lexington. I live in Minneapolis so I've seen everything around here, and I got to see Churchill downs and a bourbon distillery in Kentucky this spring, so those are already good.

Last edited:
AAA used to do it or give you tour guides. I killed a morning in Buffalo, visiting the Pierce Arrow museum. In Maine, I took a drive to Kingfield and the Stanley Steamer museum. Brewery and Vineyard tours abound. Studabaker in South Bend, The Auburn,Cord, Dusenberg Museum. Outside of Chicago is the Morton Arboretum. I'm not a tree hugger, but there is a reason why the indigenes held them sacred. Museums come in all sizes and subjects. Google is your friend

Its a tightening circle. You figure, your rest stops and meals. Do a little research of the area for items of interest
Make sure you know the hours.
How many are there going to be? Gas is easy, top off every time you stop for food.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Don't have time to stop by the Corvette museum in Bowling Green?

That's a good one. Two hours to get through.

How about the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum? That's also about 2 hours. You can also take a bus tour around the Speedway.

I also remember there is a buffalo ranch in NW Wisconsin that can be seen from the interstate. Stop in, look at a buffalo, and buy some jerky.

There are a lot of thoroughbred horse farms between Louisville and Lexington. May be able to get a tour of one.

Last edited:
Don't forget to use GasBuddy as you go along. Gas can swing $0.30-$1.00 per gallon from within the city of Chicago to the further suburbs.

What I would do is Gooooooogle EVERY TOWN along the way. MOST towns have a Tourism gig, usually listed under events on the cities site.

That is how I would do it.

Quote:
The City of Mt. Vernon, your Southern Illinois Connection, is pleased to offer you a Visitors Guide, just the thing for planning a vacation or just a weekend getaway. Our Visitors Guide lists attractions, lodging, recreation, events, shopping, and day trips.

To request a Visitors Guide, please fill in the following form and press the submit button. Your Visitors Guide will be mailed to you immediately by the Mt. Vernon Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Last edited:
For that type of trip I use roadtrippers. It'll give you the jest of what's in a area and you can look into it further with google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back