Should I change my AC compressor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The compressor on my 2004 Honda Civic is making grinding noises. I found on a website that changing the oil can help. Does PAG oil even break down? Also, the same site said that the bolt on the bottom of the compressor is the drain plug. Is it? If I use the correct oil, is there a risk of making it worse?

there's no such thing called changing the compressor oil(unlike engine oil). 2 things will contaminate the oil within: (1) moisture; (2) debris such as shreds of metals from decomposed compressor innards.

Lastly, given the history on BITOG, you'd be better of leaving the compressor oil alone. You should then get an assessment from an AC mech to see if the compressor is faulty , and let him do the replacement job instead.

Lastly: if you think servicing an engine is challenging enough: an R134a cooling system is more finicky to deal with, and not meant for any amateurish guy to fiddle with. Any mishaps will cost you your entire A/C system, and not just the compressor itself.

Q.

I doubt that CHANGING compressor oil will help one that's gotten noisy, but if it's a recent development then ADDING an ounce or two might help. Especially if the system has had to be topped up with refrigerant in the past- what happens is that a bit of oil is always lost along with refrigerant, so you gradually get lower and lower on oil. The systems today don't hold much oil to start with, so it doesn't take many recharges to have a system that's cooling fine, but is really low on oil.

Oil is mixed with the R134a.

Based upon the question you asked, I assume you have very limited knowledge (and tools) in this area and should bring it to a shop (not a quick oil change place).

Originally Posted By: Donald

Based upon the question you asked, I assume you have very limited knowledge (and tools) in this area and should bring it to a shop (not a quick oil change place).
I am aware of that, but I have changed enough compressors to know that there is about a half cup of oil that is left in the old one. That is what I was referring to.

The noise could be due to a bad clutch bearing. Have you taken off the belt and checked for play/noise in the AC pulley?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
The noise could be due to a bad clutch bearing. Have you taken off the belt and checked for play/noise in the AC pulley?
It is the compressor. The engine runs very rough when it comes on.

Unless you can take off the belt and find that it is just the clutch assy that is the issue, it is pointless. Even if it is just the clutch, most often it is more cost effective to either not fix it - or replace the entire clutch and compressor as a system...
Changing oil now is akin to replacing a roof on a condemned building... too little - too late !

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: Skittles
Is the AC still functioning? Just making noise?

+1

Somewhat related, and a caution against the cans now being advertised on TV: To keep an AC system running properly, it must first be purged of all old refrigerant and oil, held at high vacuum to boil out all moisture for an hour, then refilled with same amount. Avoid the AC Pro and the like. Though many seem to get lucky there.

Valid question to OP if air gets cold at all, or just makes noise. Or blows hot, or blows warm. Or takes a long time to get cold. Or makes a lot of clicking noises. Although grinding noises do not sound good nor indicative or proper AC.

Compressor is junk,change it before it frags all thru the system and you need to replace everything.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Compressor is junk,change it before it frags all thru the system and you need to replace everything.

This.

I've been told too that it's not very nice when compressor grinds itself to the AC system.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

+1

And when it's repaired you will probably need to flush out the other AC components. Also consider installing a filter.

No.....It is still full of Moly-EP grease from when it was originally built. If it is making noise it needs to be replaced or rebuilt. You need some specialized tools for servicing AC so just take it to a shop. No one can walk you through this since the equipment you need is very expensive to draw a hard dry vaccum and recharge with refrigerant and oil.

Originally Posted By: Avery4
Originally Posted By: Donald

I am aware of that, but I have changed enough compressors to know that there is about a half cup of oil that is left in the old one. That is what I was referring to.

Then go ahead and change it. What could it hurt?

The only time you change the compressor oil is when replacing the compressor. You drain the old compressor oil into a marked container so that you know how much to add to the new compressor. Usually it's somewhere between 3 and 4 ounces.

The compressor on my 2004 Honda Civic is making grinding noises. I found on a website that changing the oil can help. Does PAG oil even break down? Also, the same site said that the bolt on the bottom of the compressor is the drain plug. Is it? If I use the correct oil, is there a risk of making it worse?

Grinding? If your hearing grinding, the fat lady has sung.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The only time you change the compressor oil is when replacing the compressor. You drain the old compressor oil into a marked container so that you know how much to add to the new compressor. Usually it's somewhere between 3 and 4 ounces.

What? Come on, I HAVE to change it, its a fluid for gods sakes.....I feel I should change it every time I do an oil change...lol

Originally Posted By: mclasser
It is the compressor. The engine runs very rough when it comes on.

A bad clutch bearing can do all the things you are experiencing, including the vibrations. I had it happen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back