Change it out, leave it, or new filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I plan on taking a 2200 mile road trip with my 07 Odyssey (non VCM) and I currently have 3400 miles on the PP 5W20 I have in it now with a P1 filter. MM says 40% so I have 3 options:

1) Replace oil and filter prior to trip
2) Replace only filter and top up prior to trip
3) Replace oil and filter after trip.

Just wanted to get your opinions. Engine is in great shape (only 63K miles). Thanks for your replies!

If the oil has been in service over a year I'd change it now. Otherwise leave it in. MM assumes a syn-blend is being used. Change it when you get back or wait till the MM works it's way down.

Have a safe trip!

Last edited:
based on the math with MM it should be (3)-with the most basic oil.

As you are using a higher quality oil and filter, one benefit of that was to give you flexibility and piece of mind that if you went a bit longer then ideal you wouldn't be in trouble..

I'd check the level now and top off prior to trip if you had any consumption.

The oil/filter has been in since mid February (4.5 months) and has seen ~90% city driving. Seeing this trip will be all highway, I would expect the MM will hit 0% or slightly less by the end of the trip. Typically with 90% city driving, I can reach ~4500 miles by the time the MM hits ~15%. On a 4500 mile run, I've never had to add oil ever.

Last edited:
1. Even if you're not consuming oil, make sure to check your oil level often, as I've noticed much higher consumption at higher highway speeds than my typical around-town driving, even when I drive aggressively.

With the high-quality oil you're using, consumption and running the engine with low oil level will be of higher risk than how long your interval is, IMO.

NOTE: I've ONLY even experienced higher oil consumption at high highway speeds in my previous higher-mileage vehicles, never in any of my new vehicles, so checking your oil level will be at your own discretion.

2. Your oil filter is only due every other OCI, so regardless of whether you change your oil before or after the trip, the filter is not due, if it has only been in service for 3,400 miles.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
MM assumes a syn-blend is being used.

Do you have a source for this? I couldn't find anything with a quick search, but this doesn't sound quite right - I thought the MM for this application was set for pretty much the lowest quality API SM-rated oil (or whatever API spec was current and in the manual at the time) i.e., any brand-name non-synthetic.

ABSOLUTE Non-issue. Leave it in. Summer trips don't care about TBN.

Other wise your PP is garbage oil or the Honda is a Junk motor if you have to perform OCI before the trip.

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident in the performance of the oil therefore I'm not too concerned about the MM as it is most likely calibrated for the lowest quality 5W20 API Spec (whatever it was for 2007). I'll check the oil before I leave and then again before the trip back. Like I said I've never noticed my oil level drop at all over a 4500 mile interval. I'm definitely going to swap the filter out after the trip as I don't trust the Purolator P1 filter going two OCI (only have 1 more left in my stash, then I'll start using my Mann stash).

Last edited:
Change it after the trip.

Bring your oil and filter and jack and stands (or ramps) along with you in case it's time to change after one-way.

But you can most likely wait until after you get home. Remember, highway miles like that are MUCH easier on oil, and thus the remaining percentage will count down much slower.

Change your oil if it is going to stress you out during your trip. You should have absolutely no troubles during your trip, but if you're going to be thinking about your oil, you might as well change it now. Cheap peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I should have stated that MM assumes the Honda labeled syn-blend or its equivalent is used.

How do you know this, though? I can't find a credible source online that says this.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Leave it on and don't change for another 1,000+ miles after the trip.

Yep, the MM oil life may not even be down to 0% by then (the +1,000 miles after the trip that you suggest.)

Originally Posted By: Mauro
Like I said I've never noticed my oil level drop at all over a 4500 mile interval. I'm definitely going to swap the filter out after the trip as I don't trust the Purolator P1 filter going two OCI (only have 1 more left in my stash, then I'll start using my Mann stash).

I'd still keep an eye on the oil level, even if it's not every fillup. Maybe check it once or twice at secnod and third fillup during the trip and, if there are no indications of consumption, forget about it.

I still don't understand the rampant P1 tear fear here. I'd be concerned, too, but if I was that concerned I wouldn't run the next filter; I'd sell it. If it were on my Civic, I'd still run it two MM-indicated intervals without worry.

I don't cut open each filter after use, but I would make sure to cut open any P1 filter used, just for peace of mind.

I'm also planning to run my Fram Ultra Guard (FUG) for three (that's right, 3!) intervals, and will cut that one open. After two intervals it looks really good, so why not 3 for my light duty use of the Civic?

As mentioned, your drop to 40% due to due to 3400 city miles is not indicative of what its going to do running highway miles. I doubt that trip will move the OLM by more than 10%.

Unless your running the mountains, full loaded, at 80 mph with a roof carrier...then all bets are off.

I'm not concerned about running the P1 for 4500 miles which is what I've typically done (always changed filter with every oil change). What I might end up doing before my trip is just put on a new filter and top off the oil. Once I'm back, run it for another 500 miles and swap out the filter and oil. I'll probably sleep better if I do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back