NAPA sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
NAPA is running a sale on their conventional blue bottle for 1.99 a quart, is that a decency deal I know it's basically rebranded valvoline just curious what everyone thought.

No such prices here at the local store. Everyone keeps talking about it.
21.gif

Isnt this stuff loaded with sodium? Valvoline is into the sort of thing.. I personally think ST is a better deal at the moment. The word Napa just seems to attract people more so than Supertech does..

PQIA's latest ST test

Its a weak ashland made oil made to the cheapest pricepoint possible. It meets api specs, but personally I'd pay 3$ for a better oil such as PYB.

Even the Napa Syn oils don't seem to hold up very well compared to name brand oil.

I used some NAPA 5w20 SYN in a 2010 accent and it turned watery and black in 4000miles.. Where the PP 5w20 still looked almost new with a medium brown darkening in 5000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Its a weak ashland made oil made to the cheapest pricepoint possible. It meets api specs, but personally I'd pay 3$ for a better oil such as PYB.

Even the Napa Syn oils don't seem to hold up very well compared to name brand oil.

I used some NAPA 5w20 SYN in a 2010 accent and it turned watery and black in 4000miles.. Where the PP 5w20 still looked almost new with a medium brown darkening in 5000 miles.

So you're saying the NAPA cleaned better, and you can do a better UOA on warm oil with your fingers?

Not really sure that the evidence supports the conclusion. The additive pack on Valvoline brand and NAPA is almost identical. I was surprised to find that It was (You can check it out on PQIA and in BITOG UOA. They both agree). And color is a poor indicator of quality, as has been said here like a million times. Fast color change can just mean it's cleaning. Not really sure the data can validate the conclusion that NAPA is a weak oil. It probably uses different base oils (PQIA data confirms) but they really don't appear that different. You're also comparing NAPA to PP and not NAPA to Valvoline. I bet if you compared NAPA to Valvoline it would be quite similar results at the end of an OCI.

Im not wild about the 5w30 VSP I got in the Rogue now - though I may be having a hard time getting over a bad tank of Mobil in Windham, NH at exit 3).
I Liked the Walmart WPp syn mucho better.Nver a loss of full throttole power.

Meanwhile, 0w20VSP has run well in the past in the subies.

What I've wondered are the Napa oils actually made by Ashland or just distributed by Ashland? I was told Napa HM oils are not the same as Maxlife and why would Napa have a 15W50 synthetic whereas the 50 weight Synpower is a 20W50?

Looking at a bottle of the 5w-30 conventional right now on the back it says;
Meets or exceeds API SN and GF-5
Manufactured for Napa distribution centers by Ashland inc.Covington KY.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bradepb
Looking at a bottle of the 5w-30 conventional right now on the back it says;
Meets or exceeds API SN and GF-5
Manufactured for Napa distribution centers by Ashland inc.Covington KY.

+1

I would have no issue using NAPA (Ashland) oil in my vehicles. None.

Valvoline even has Warranty coverage for NAPA oil...

LINK
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...5130_0367730352
(see Warranty PDF)

VALVOLINE LIMITED LUBRICANTS WARRANTY
Ashland Consumer Markets (“Valvoline”) warrants all private-label NAPA lubricants
manufactured by Valvoline
against failure in engine or equipment service so long as:
• The NAPA lubricant meets the manufacturer’s specifications for the service, or has
been specifically recommended for that service by NAPA.
• The engine or equipment is operated within the limits of speed, load, temperature, etc.
for which the NAPA lubricant is specified or recommended.
• The engine or equipment and vehicle are under a program of regular, scheduled and
documented maintenance and test protocols (if required) fulfilling the manufacturer’s
service recommendations.
If NAPA lubricant is proven to be directly responsible for engine or equipment failure under
these conditions, Valvoline will restore the equipment to normal performance.
This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties and Valvoline hereby disclaims all liabilities for
indirect or consequential damages. Some states may not allow the exclusion or limitation of
incidental or consequential damages, so that exclusion/limitation may not apply to you.
This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may have other rights that vary from
state to state. Valvoline reserves the right to inspect the damaged engine or equipment, take
samples, run tests, and examine all related documentation it deems necessary to determine cause
of failure.
To notify Valvoline of a warranty claim, contact Valvoline Product Support at 1-800-
TEAMVAL (1-800-832-6825).

Last edited:

dumbest post ever

I bought 36 quarts of it to add to the stash. The Honda doesn't really care what you put in it and it's not driven hard anyway.

Originally Posted By: JHogan
NAPA is running a sale on their conventional blue bottle for 1.99 a quart, is that a decency deal I know it's basically rebranded valvoline just curious what everyone thought.

I think that is an excellent deal. Last time I saw a NAPA sale in the United States for the 0W20 synthetic, I brought back 2 cases. It's basically rebranded Valvoline. Use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
No such prices here at the local store. Everyone keeps talking about it.
21.gif

Isnt this stuff loaded with sodium? Valvoline is into the sort of thing.. I personally think ST is a better deal at the moment. The word Napa just seems to attract people more so than Supertech does..

PQIA's latest ST test

People worry way too much about sodium.
Its a less expensive additive than regular calcium but can be as effective per uoa. Several respectable brands use it such as valvoline, royal purple oe, mobile conventional and castrol use too as well as others. Valvoline has some of the best used analysis regularly. As far as masking a coolant leak or inadvertently appearing to show the possibility of a coolant leak in a uoa, you can easily determine that by the appearance or lack of potassium.

Ok so question, just throwing this out there. P4 and p4 ultra have a decent amount of moly right? Ok valvoline/Napa have sodium and no moly right. Ok from what I understand so far is that moly's biggest Job is anti wear and sodium is more anti corrosive. So if I switched every other oil change between p4 and syn power could there be any benefit to that? Why or why not?

Do like Schaeffers and blend the 2. Moly can cause deposits ( esp: turbo) and emmisions system failure so its on the way down and out. The are non organo metallic compounds used in pricier oils. Valvoline 0w20 is a superb, super clean 20.

I wonder why Napa synth has a 15W50 instead of 20W50 like Synpower? How would Napa 15W50 compare to M1 15W50?

Originally Posted By: JHogan
Ok so question, just throwing this out there. P4 and p4 ultra have a decent amount of moly right? Ok valvoline/Napa have sodium and no moly right. Ok from what I understand so far is that moly's biggest Job is anti wear and sodium is more anti corrosive. So if I switched every other oil change between p4 and syn power could there be any benefit to that? Why or why not?

No, moly's main job is not anti wear. It is friction reducer. Regardless since you do not know all of the components of the oil comparison on this most basic level is meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back