Troy Bilt Mower Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am presently looking for a cheap non-propelled push mower to mow some nasty areas that I do not wish to mow with my good Lawn Boy.

Looking on CL and I found a Troy Bilt (which I usually would not consider) mulching mower with a 6.5 Briggs. It is not running and is cheap. In the description it states that there is a part which was superglued together and the mower ran until the glue joint failed. I inquired as to what the part is, and the seller does not know the name of the part, but described it as a "plastic pipe."

Question: What kind of a part resembling a plastic pipe would be on a 6.5 Briggs?

I just emailed the person to check.
I would have never thought that that would be something that would break, since I have the exact same engine on my power washer.
If it is that, I probably would be concerned that they ran it dry.

Just got answer back.
It is not the oil filler tube.
Any other ideas?

I've had a tube break on mine and quit running - it was the crankcase vent tube. Without the vacuum from the engine the oil vapor would have no place to go and somehow stall the engine. Glued mine twice now and runs good. It happened when the starter cord slipped from my hands and hit the tube and broke it.

The carburetor is plastic. Some models have plastic tube from carb to engine so gas tank is on side opposite muffler

Rod

Good information. Thanks to all.
Still kind of deciding whether or not it is worth messing with or not. Don't mind a fixer upper if it is something simple.
If it is the crankcase vent tube, those run anywhere from $2 to $24, depending on the model (which I do not presently have info on.)
Just emailed on a Craftsman that supposedly runs (but it is further away and 2x the $.) However, if it would be the expensive tube, I would have more $ in this one than I would in the Craftsman. Guess I'll see how it shakes out.

Before I spent any money I would make sure the crankshaft is not bent. If it is then do not waste the money.

Rod

Probably a $3 part and super easy to fix. Go for it, with an agreement from the seller that if it is more than just a "plastic pipe" you will return it through their front living room window and want your money back (I hate being lied to)

What is this this spending money thing? Craigslist freestuff usually has a few everyday. Most bottom feeders have a small B+S flat head with a clogged up carb. The described problem sounds like a cracked in take to me also.

I started with a free dept store Murray 25 yrs ago and gradually worked my way up to Toros and LBs. I presently trim with a Toro. I have a Lawnboy waiting in the shed for the Toro to die. I got them back in '09.

Gee, sounds like I should drive to Massachusetts to save $20. on a mower.
They very rarely show up here for free (and I have been looking for a couple of months), unless they are total basket cases.
Today, there is a JD push on CL for free. It needs a head gasket and an ignition coil. It is much to large for what I need, not only to mention that the parts tab for that would be more than $8.

Before I found CL, I pulled them out of the land fill and found them on the roadside.
smile.gif

Guess you've got the world on a string and your sitting on a rainbow.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'm betting it is the tube that goes from the carburetor to the engine. They are plastic and I've only seen a few of them crack, mostly due to the bolts coming loose. Probably a cheap fix with a used one from e-bay.

Edit: here is a new one for $8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Stratton-...=item3aaa7e798c

Bought the mower.
Yow win the bet.
It is definitely the Intake manifold. It is cracked big time. Could see the Air Cleaner hanging down the first time that I looked at it.
It is a Troy Bilt Model # 11A 426 A 711.
It is not the intake that you have pictures, it bends up and bolts on the top front.
Question for anyone: I'm assuming that I have to access this part by Briggs motor number. Where do I find it?

Thanks for the help Merkava.
I already have it torn down, but for the life of me, couldn't find the engine number.
I had discovered that it was a 120000 series but could not narrow it down from there.
Thanks again.

UPDATE: Finally got the intake manifold and installed it. Mower started right up but running kind of rough. Oil looked exceptionally gnarly, so I got out some Proline HD30 that I had in my stash, that I got free with a MIR once upon a time. Also, put a new plug in (Champion J19LM) same as it had on it gapped it at .030 (fortunately, I had several that I bought on sale for 40 cents each @ a GOB sale.) Put some fresh gas in with some Techron (had that laying around as well) and started it again. Still running kind of rough but after 15-20 minutes, it smoothed out some. Needs a new A/F. Will pick up one next time I am out.
QUESTIONS FOR THOSE WITH THIS MOWER: Then it started leaking some gas through what appears to be the gas cap. Checked the fuel lines and all appears to be good. Reinstalled the gas cap again and it still appears to be leaking (although to a lesser degree.) Never had a gas cap do this before, is this normal?

Another issue I noticed (and I am certain that this had plenty to do with the cracked intake) the air cleaner assembly is vibrating quite a bit. I went over the area and am certain that all bolts are installed that are on the schematic. Even went as far as trying to install a bolt by the carb where it appeared there was one, and found there was no threading in the block to do so. Is it normal for this assembly to vibrate?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back