How many grinders is enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new Milwaukee 4 1/2" grinder and wife asked how many I had. I have a 4 1/1" now (plus an old Chinese one), a 7" Makita and a 7" older Craftsman which I keep wire brush on. Plus the two on a stand or bench. Too many?

I have one 8 inch bench grinder with wire brush on one end and a 200? grit on the other end. I use a hand grider with various wire & grit attachments. Ed

Bench grinder or hand grinder?

I have only a single old bench grinder, and it's not enough. You need at least three wheels and a wire brush. Plus a third set up for polishing.

For hand grinding, I have only one and it's not enough. At least one set up for grinding (preferably two with different grits), and another with a flap disk. That's three. Add one if you use a cutting wheel.

If you are including die grinders and Dremel-sized devices, wellllll...

Last edited:
Well as far as electric hand held, I have 4. My favorite for tasks using a wire wheel is a variable speed Miwaukee. I use it for cleaning bead seats on aluminum wheels. A 3 1/2 in cup brush on a 11000 rpm angle grinder would lose most of the wires in short order. With the variable speed running half speed, a wire wheel lasts for years. It has more than paid for itself not having to buy $18+ wire wheels monthly. Plus I have my 4 1/2 black/decker that has been run hard for 20 years, a 9 in Skil, and my Dewalt 20v cordless. Love them all!!! I wish all the grinders had variable speed. 11000 rpm is too fast for some jobs. Never use a grinder without eye/ear protection. Face shield preferred. Had to make one trip to ER when one spark slipped by a gap in my safety glasses!

Last edited:
I found a router Speed controller and an Angle grinder to be a much loved Combo for many different types of tasks.

Full power is not always needed or desirable. I use it on my Shop vac when running my table saw to keep from tripping the breaker.

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
How many "X" do I need?

Just one more... ba ha ha ha ha ha!

-b
WELL PUT !!

To dremel moto tools and their knock-off's count ?

Used my knock-off to trim a metal venetian blind yesterday my 120cm wide windows are 118.5cm, so I needed to get 15mm off them.

Clamped all the foils together into a monoblock with a couple pieces of dowel, and trimmed them off with the mototool cutoff wheel, smoothed and radiused with a grinding wheel, and it turned out really neat.

So I've got
4" grinders x2 (one permanently a wire brush)
Air cutoff wheel x1
Air die grinder x1
Dremel moto tool x1
moto tool knockoff (came with a flexible extension and variable speed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back