New Truck buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I really want a new truck. This would be my first pick up truck and my top two choices are a Ram 1500 or an F-150. I'd probably go for a semi-base model crew cab with base engine. I don't need a V8 and the current V6s are putting out some impressive numbers.

My plan is to go in during December or January to try to snag a leftover 2015. I need to be at or below $30k out the door.

Is this doable? Are there any strong reasons I shouldn't choose either brand? What kind of real world gas mileage are you owners getting? Real world reliability ? I've read endless reviews, but nothing compares to real world, long term ownership experience.

I'm particularly intrigued by the Ram's 8 spd trans and unlimited array of options and configurations.

Toyota and Nissan are out of the question. A Chevy or GMC might be an option if I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse.

My primary use for the truck will be every day transportstion, hauling two young kids, groceries and maybe some occasional dirty work.

If I buy, I would be keeping this vehicle for at least 10 years.

Any input would be appreciated!

I really believe that for your purposes you can't go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned in your post. I don't know if you can hit your price point on a new truck however. But there would be many (I assume) two year old Fords and Chevrolet trucks that would be close to your price point and maybe better equipped.

If you were towing or heavy hauling it would be a different scenario.

Have fun and let us know.

Last edited:
I like the new Ram's personally. You could probabaly snag an express package crew cab with the 8-speed and a hemi for less than 30k OTD especially if you want a 2wd.

You may be able to get a 4x4 for 31-32k as well. The express package trucks are beautiful. If i was going to buy a new truck id buy a Crew Cab Ram express with the Hemi and the 8-speed.

A friend just bought a '14 silvarado with the new 4.3 v6 and 4x4 and 15k on the clock for 28k that new v6 has 20 HP on his old v8... even more on e85...

It was a demo or some comp car for Chev. Crew cab, short box , a really nice truck.

But unless 2x4 is an option, and it may be where you livr, you might have a tough time

If you like diesel, the new Colorado has a 4 cyl duramax. That may be a sweet deal for the high 20s

It seems like Ram gives you the best value in trucks. You can get some nice features for the same price you'd get a basic work truck with manual windows with other brands. Their gas engine trucks (not just the engine itself) have questionable reliability compared to Ford, likely minorly inferior to GM, although that's saying a truck might last 400k miles instead of 500k, they should all be good for a long time if you live somewhere without salt.

I'd definitely do the Ram unless a Chevy/GMC dealer gives you a good deal on a previous model year Silverado, which could happen.

I don't think you can do wrong with a Ram/GM/Ford truck, all three are really excellent vehicles. Personally I would have a really tough time deciding between the 3.

For your uses, get a $2000 beater truck for truck duties/hauling and get a Camry/Accord or similar for daily driver and hauling the kids around.

I'm a Ford guy, but would go with the Ram pick up. I'm no longer thrilled with Ford's engines,
27.gif
and that's what is causing me to slowly drift away from them.

From a likely to get the deal done perspective, I'd say you are more likely to get into a Ram, with the GM trucks a close second. With Ford's new body style they are not putting much $$$ on the hood. It's the newest model and they are charging for it. Ram has the best MSRP prices and GM is putting more incentives on their trucks than anyone right now. Good luck and have fun.

I had a rental 2015 F150 for a month and put nearly 3000 miles on it. It was 2wd, 3.5L NA engine SuperCrew and had plenty of get up and go. It got 23-24mpg regularly on the highway at 70mph. Plenty of room in back for kids + groceries + more.

Had a choice of a Ram at the rental place, but my head hit the ceiling and it seemed much smaller inside. The Ford's ergonomics were better for me as well.

49.gif

don't wait for December- September is a good time as they are trying to clear inventory for the new model year. 2016 stuff starts coming out before 2015 and with the way they handle inventory there is not going to be a ton of 2015 stuff left by December.

Quad cab V6 8spd 4x4 Rams are now almost always on for $27-29k up here. Not a stripper either, but just cloth pw pl. Anyways, if you can avoid "having to have" some feature that puts you up 3 trim levels, I don't think the Ram can be beat for your usage(other than a wagon and a trailer).

if you like living with regret, buy the v6. otherwise, you know what to do.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Is the ecoboost the only V6 option? I have also always been under the impression that the V8 was the base engine while the ecoboost was the upgrade.
21.gif

I like the idea, but has anyone here checked out the cut and posted ecoboost oil filters? They look like they came off a horridly neglected engine. That doesnt not impress me and would make me lean towards an 8 cylinder.

Based on your use case, the first one you need to see is the dodge. You don't mention towing, you don't mention hauling--- you primarily are just carrying you and the two kids. The dodge has coil sprung rear suspension that will drive much better in this case than the others.

The leaf-sprung rears tend to be set up better for towing and hauling, and if you just drive empty all day they can get a little firm/rough over bumps and stuff along the way. It doesn't sound like you really need the extra capacity.

A double-cab is a lot of vehicle--- I like mine but once the kids are older I won't buy extra doors, just a regular extended cab. Living with it as a daily driver, it makes grocery parking and city parking a little harder at times.

I think you'll be fine (and wise) with a v6. Everything I've experienced and read-- trucks are hard to achieve the rated mpg. I pay out the nose when gas prices are high, which they will inevitably return to. With older tech, but also just a "7/8 fullsize," I rarely see 17 mpg, and that's avoiding the A/C. Again, if you were towing or hauling often, I'd say v8 or at least the ecoboost, but there is a price for power and you need to be happy not just with the machine but also with the operating cost.

Good luck!

Last edited:
One thing I think people are overlooking is Ford's new TT2.7 that can probably be had in this range comparing to the base N/A V6s the other two(Ram/GM) offer. The engine itself is only an $800 option as opposed to the V8s from Ram/GM. I've only read fantastic things about that engine too.

But, all this and what everybody else has said I think if it can be a two wheel drive you open your choices up a lot more. And if gas mileage is of concern obviously two wheel drive will benefit you a lot and the 2.7 from Ford will also most likely be the most efficient engine option.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Is the ecoboost the only V6 option? I have also always been under the impression that the V8 was the base engine while the ecoboost was the upgrade.
21.gif

I like the idea, but has anyone here checked out the cut and posted ecoboost oil filters? They look like they came off a horridly neglected engine. That doesnt not impress me and would make me lean towards an 8 cylinder.

They have two different EcoBoost engines now. The order is Base: n/a 3.5, Twin Turbo 2.7V6, V8 5.0, Twin Turbo 3.5 V6.

Thanks for the replies, everyone, especially Meep!

I definitely don't want or need 4WD. I don't want worry about a transfer case and the front diff, plus I would just be lugging the extra weight.

Toyota can go to [censored] as far as I'm concerned. They failed. My dad is a proud parent of an oil burning Camry. They won't get another dollar from us. The Nissan Titan is quite dated now and they only offer the 5.6 V8-too thirsty for me. PLUS, I really want an American made truck!

I'm not too sure about the Ecoboost engines. They look great on paper and I'm sure perform as advertised, but I'm leery of a twin turbo charged engine for long term reliability. Is that setup going to last and be trouble free for 150,000 miles?

I was on the fence about a V8 or V6 but I'm concerned about fuel economy. If I get a V8, well I'm going to drive it like its a V8
smile.gif
I don't really drive aggressively or need the extra power to two a trailer, so I'm pretty set on a V6 for now, at least till I take a few test drives.

Also, my current vehicle will be paid off in Dec, which is the primary reason I'm waiting. I went to a lot a few months ago and they had some leftover 2014s sitting around...like unwanted orphans. I'm positive there will be leftovers at the end of the year. I live in a large metro area with several dealers close by. My HOPE is to find something stickered about $35k, they knock about 10 grand off to get rid of it quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back