Wiper Blade Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had some Rain-X Weatherbeater wiper blades on my FJ Cruiser for less than a year and they're splitting and tearing.

I need some new wiper blades. Any recommendations?

What worked better before? If the vehicle is in the sun a lot, or the wipers get some hard usage, under a year might not be ridiculous. I change roughly every six months myself. I just buy something sensibly priced, usually some Ancos. Dealer blades usually work pretty well, and can, at least up here, often be obtained at a decent price.

If they are beam style then any sale brand. If you have the factory Toyota ones that take the rubber inserts those are by far the best.

The wally world cheap house brand wipers are under $10 and I replace them at least once a year.

I find it better than fretting about buying the perfect expensive set and being disappointed.

Valeo 900 series wipers came from the factory on my Passat. Nearly 2 and half years and 43k miles later and they're still working great.

Now, whenever I need wipers on my other vehicles I install a set of Valeo 900s.

Originally Posted By: howie2092
The wally world cheap house brand wipers are under $10 and I replace them at least once a year.

I find it better than fretting about buying the perfect expensive set and being disappointed.

Me too. Spending more on wipers has never equated to longevity in my use, and I can't notice any difference in performance.

I use the cheapy rebranded trico blades I get through work. $2 ea.

And I replace them when I notice it or she complains. About 1.5 yr on average.

Wipers can be cheap get some name brand ones and run them. Rinse and repeat when needed

Rain X Latitudes I had did really good
Lasted over a year and worked really good. The next generation of their blades called Quantum are not has good in my opinion. I'm looking forward to going back to the Latitudes. Cheaper too.

Nothing lasts longer and works better than the OE Toyota inserts. Hopefully you did not throw away the factory wiper blade assemblies....as those things can be quite expensive.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Goodyear wipers are great if you have a Costco membership
Oh no; those are one of the worst ones that you could buy!

I like Supertech brand blades, but after reading the comments, the OEM blade replacements seem like a win IMO.

I used to exclusively use PIAA Super Graphite refills in the OEM blades of my Honda. Nice, smooth wipes. The refills were made in Japan. I recently ordered my mom a set of Hella blades from Rock Auto. They have a similar graphite coating on them. In the distant past I recall using graphite coated blades. You have to avoid using alcohol to clean them because it removes the coating. PIAA no longer offers these refills.

I'm currently using the Trico "Teflon" blades from Rock Auto that I got on clearance when another member here posted the sale - thank you. They appear to have a thin Teflon strip layered onto both sides of the squeegee. They actually seem to work pretty well. I am saving the Mazda OEM blade frames and have loaded them with some silicone refills I found online from Singapore. I like to experiment, but in the end I'm sure I'll go back to refilling the OEM blades with OEM refills. They worked really well and lasted over two years - my car is garaged at home and at work, though.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Nothing lasts longer and works better than the OE Toyota inserts. Hopefully you did not throw away the factory wiper blade assemblies....as those things can be quite expensive.

plus a million.. my lexus dealer is surprisingly affordable in this department, just a dollar more than eBay. Nothing compares to those inserts.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Valeo 900 series wipers came from the factory on my Passat. Nearly 2 and half years and 43k miles later and they're still working great.

Now, whenever I need wipers on my other vehicles I install a set of Valeo 900s.

Their 600 series are very good as well.

I had the 900s on for about a year, and they were still OK, but i wanted to try the 600s, especially since my car came from the factory with the old, 'superstructure' type, non-beam blades (like the 600s).
wink.gif

The single beam type of rubber they used to sell at Costco was good. The new "hybrid" blades they sell really suck. Thought I had a defective pair, so I exchanged them for another pair. Still not removing all the water on the windshield. They also leave marks on the windshield like they're depositing their coating as they wipe. Maybe it's my windshield, but I doubt it. I've cleaned with 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner, also tried clay bar. Still doing it. I'm going back to stock wipers from the Honda dealer. About $30/ pair but after that I can just buy the refills. Refills from Toyota dealer for our 13 Corolla were something like $8/ each and the originals lasted 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back