Suzuki blower motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The blower motor in my Kizashi recently stopped working (luckily we're having reasonable weather here...not too hot or humid). After doing a little online research I figured it was the blower resistor (which I read is a notorious failure part in these cars and other Suzuki models). The resistor was expensive ($148 shipped) and I replaced it 2 days ago (I checked the fuse which was good and noted that the compressor for the a/c would come on when activated but no fan activity...hence my diagnosis of a blown resistor).

The blower worked after replacing the resistor and I thought I fixed the problem. It stayed "fixed" for a day...blower stopped working again yesterday.

I did notice that the blower seemed to be "surging" when in use and I didn't feel that there was as much airflow for the various speeds (particularly on high) as before (this is a climate control system with a multi-speed blower). I'm leaning toward a bad blower motor which is blowing the resistor...(in which case I should have replaced both of them as has been recommended by a few with the same issue).

Does it seem likely that the blower motor is shot and is tripping the resistor? My options are to order a blower motor (used ones available online for cheap) and a new resistor, install both and see if that corrects the issue or take it to a dealership (far from here) and get a proper diagnosis?...and outrageous repair estimate.

I planned to take the car to a dealership I'm familiar with in mid-August when I take my vacation (will be in the area) for the "spider web" (spiders may make webs somewhere in a vent tube for the charcoal canister, I believe) and gear shift (may come out of park without depressing the brake pedal) recalls I've been notified need to be performed. The dealership is 450 miles from where I currently live and I'm familiar with them...they've worked on the car before for routine stuff when it was newer...seemed pretty good (for a dealership anyway).

In any event, I'll need to fix this sooner than later (can't use the car much if it gets hotter/more humid). Airflow while moving without the blower is pretty feeble.

I'm inclined to try replacing the blower motor and another resistor and see if that does the trick.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
I'm inclined to try replacing the blower motor and another resistor and see if that does the trick.

That would be my first choice. I'd assume the blower motor isn't too terribly expensive. How much of a job is the replacement, for your time, though?

The resistor wasn't too bad...will be much quicker next time as I know exactly what to remove to get to it (it's behind the air vent on the interior firewall passenger side...fairly simple access after removing the vent). The blower motor looks to be a typical 3 bolt and the connector...can't imagine it would be too difficult to remove either). Total out-of-pocket with a used blower motor and another new resistor is about $200 or so...vs. whatever the dealer charges

Those multi tap resistors are a fairly standard item, aftermarket for a Camry is about 15 bucks. I think you are getting hit pretty hard on that. If you think the new one is bad, measure it with a DVM on ohms, The "high" position bypasses the resistor and "low" is the entire resistor in the circuit. Even if the resistor fails OPEN the high fan position should still work as it is simply a bypass of the entire resistor unit. I suspect the blower motor. Binding bearings or shorted windings will cause the motor to draw excessive current. That can burn out the resistor. Pull the blower and take a look, the system may have ingested something...like a mouse.

I've always liked the Japanese assembled Kizashi. The fit and finish seemed better than other Japanese makes dollar for dollar even though it has it quirks. Hopefully the dealer has the parts or can obtain them quick if you have them fix it.

I'm with you guys...I'm ordering the blower and another resistor. Unfortunately there are NO sources for less-expensive resistors (junk yards don't seem to want to pull and sell them...will only sell the blower motor). I got what was the best price I could find...a used blower motor is relatively cheap.

Overall this has been a great car. It has 70K miles and this is only the 2nd problem I've had with it (first was the front diff. leak...warranty paid for half the cost as I had it done at a local shop rather than drive it 210 miles to a dealership...expense was pretty much a wash and the local shop is very good...no problems since).

The car remains a blast to drive, is comfortable and will get 33+ mpg on a trip (mid to high 20's in mixed driving). The AWD has been a lifesaver in the winter here...a really good system which can be deactivated via a dash switch when not needed (summer months). Suzuki built these well and the car still looks great...no noticeable wear on the seat fabric or interior panels...looks pretty much new. I've used PZ Ultra (recently Platinum as no more Ultra at the local WM)since I got it and it uses NO oil during my 5-6,000 OCI's. All in all I love the car.

My niece just bought an Audi A3 with the 1,8T and 6 speed (I think...don't believe it's the DSG)...nice enough rig but I think my Suzuki is a more solid driving car.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
When a resister goes bad its usually caused by a bad blower.

+1 to that.

The load imposed onto the blower resistor is directly proportional to that of the current drawn by the blow motor itself. The higher the current the motor draws, the more heat the resistor going to experience.

In layman's term: your blow motor is in trouble. Get another one.

Q.

People replace resistors all the time without thinking about the motor itself.They don't last forever,and build resistance like any electric motor.Its a case of buying 2 resistors for every motor,due to ignoring the root cause.

If the blower motor isnt' making any bearing noises, I'd be reluctant to replace it so quickly.

My 88 BMW also "blew" the resistor. I was about to replace it when I noticed that after storing the car for a winter, mice had made a nest that restricted it's ability to spin. Once I cleared out the nest, everything was fine. No blower or resistor was needed.

If I was you OP, considering there's a "surging" of the blower motor speed, it seems to me that maybe it's not getting enough power. Do a test on the electrical system to confirm that the alternator and battery are putting out enough juice.

I had a similar issue with my 07 Focus shortly after I bought it. Those cars are known for having bad electrical systems and I was experiencing problems with the stock radio. It would randomly lose power and sometimes would go into half power mode...strange stuff that I thought I fixed with a new fuse (the old one looked fine to me). Sure enough less than a month later the car left us stranded with a bad battery. After replacing it with a new one I have never had any starting/running issues.

Oh and just my .02 cents, but get rid of that car while it's still running well. They don't make Suzuki cars anymore so parts are going to become far more difficult to source (if you weren't already having enough problems with getting service).

They still sell Suzuki cars in Mexico, the Kizashi as well. So if you need parts they will be around for some time to come. I also believe that since Suzuki still exists as a company in the USA although just selling motorcycles and ATVs, ect they must still supply replacement parts for their vehicles for around ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back