DT 4th of July sale - reserved on line - disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my rant about Discount Tire and their dumbazz 4th of July sale. My apologies for being so wordy. I don't know where else to vent. Hear me out:

So my Volvo needs tires. DT has a big 4th of July sale. Online, I pick out same-size same-load tires that match what I have (with $100 rebate), apply for their credit card (for another $60 rebate), schedule an appointment, and get email confirmation. ALL GOOD!

(Backstory - My xc70 has 18" rims from an xc90 rather than the stock 16" or 17" rims)

I show up and they are super-busy. I tell the teenager at the desk that I have an online order number, appointment, and in-stock tires reserved. Here's my key and my documents - let's do this!

He disregards my order number and begins a new order from scratch. I hate to duplicate effort so I'm already annoyed. He can't figure out how to select 18" tires because they are not in his configurator. He calls a superior. Same interaction (disregards my online order, can't find 18" tires in his configurator, tells me how I obviously messed up - not using the online configurator properly). 2nd guy calls the manager. Same interaction AGAIN (disregards my online order - creates new order from scratch, can't find 18" wheels in his configurator, tells me I can't possibly have 18" wheels (because the computer says so), tells me I used the online configurator wrong, etc).

Nobody bothers to LOOK at the car and verify wheel/tire size.

Manager suggests I buy tires that are NOT the size OR brand OR quality that I picked in my online order. AND they cost $160 more (no rebates). Man is visibly annoyed when I don't agree to buy just whatever is round and black.

I leave after 40 minutes of absolutely worthless and frustrating interaction.

Long story boring: I was literally THROWING MONEY at these people and they did everything they could to stop me from buying tires.

I would relay this to a regional office, sounds like an entire store is in need of training. Plus they may throw you a bone.

Colorado
Discount Tire
8000 S. Chester St.
Suite 250
Centennial, CO 80112
(303) 773-8084
(303) 220-1386 FAX

Last edited:
Did you mention you don't have the original wheels ?

Most people behind the desk barely have a high school education.... really not surprised at the outcome.

I had no problem buying different sizes for my Honda S2000. The OEM sizes are 215/45-17 Front and 245/40-17 Rear, I ordered online 215/50-17 Front and 245/45-17 Rear. When they had my sizes shipped from their warehouse/distributor they called to make appointment for installation, I drove my S2000 there and they checked the last time and told me I ordered larger ratio for my car, I told them I did and I wanted those sizes. They installed those tires without problem, but they did put a note on the receipt "Customer order these tire sizes and they are not OEM sizes".

Half the problem was that they were overwhelmed with other customers. You should have asked them to honor your internet order price when they were not jammed with a store full of customers. But I agree call their corporate office and ask them to get it settled for you.

I hate stuff like this. It's just a complete lack of customer service.

Sadly, a lot of companies have spent a lot of money building great websites with all kinds of online selling power but refuse to invest the money needed to train their people properly.

I second what Spasm3 said. Contact somebody much higher up about this.

Some people are beyond dense. How difficult can it be to supply tires when you know the exact kind and size you want? What would these fools have done before "configurator" tools?

We just had a brand new DTD open in our town...I need new tires but I shudder to think how UNtrained the new staff will be,and what potential problems await, even if the prices are very good.

I had a recent aggravating experience with a local DT as well. I wrote it up in this section. Kid who measured my tires didn't record anything for Michelin to verify. Lo, and behold, guess who was there when I had to go back to go through all of this again?

He sure was nervous. I made him print it all out this time and call Michelin while I stood there. [censored] aggravating, frustrating and a waste of my time. Plus, despite his assurances that "we always have the lowest price"....no they didn't. Sears of all places, had the same Michelin tire, about $12 cheaper.

I wonder if he's on commission?

I got busy with work so put this issue on the back burner for now.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Some people are beyond dense. How difficult can it be to supply tires when you know the exact kind and size you want?

Nowadays they won't install tires that aren't listed as approved alternative size, or have different speed rating or load rating from OEM. It's part of corporate trying to limit their liability, and I really can't blame them. We live in a very litigious society.

In case of OP's car, only 16" and 17" are listed as OEM, so you need to make two more clicks to get to the optional 18", but that was apparently beyond the employee's (and his manager's) pay grade.

Now, if you just came and wanted to buy tires without having them installed, then they'll sell you anything.

After all that you should have just said OK and bought the 16"...

Then when they come in and say "these won't fit, you have 18" wheels" just nod knowingly and say "That is what I have been trying to tell you"...

Alternately, you could say "impossible, it is not in your configurator".

Ever notice the same tire shop always have new employees?

At the local TireKingdom here in Florida, the turnover is substantial. I expect poor service from people with no pride in doing a good job.

Originally Posted By: howie2092
(Backstory - My xc70 has 18" rims from an xc90 rather than the stock 16" or 17" rims)

So, what size tires do you run on these 18" rims?

Good points. Thanks for the feedback. I did mention the wheels are non-stock size. Mentioned that I already did some legwork to pick the correct tires to match size/load of the old snow tires.

They are all about the configurator. Anything slightly non-stock and they are befuddled.

I guess my frustration stems from my job as an aerospace engineer - spending endless hours researching and specifying components. Same with tires for my dorky old Volvo. I wanted them to install what I spec'd. Maybe too much to ask from high-schoolers on a busy day.

Discount Tire opened new stores in Kansas City last year. When I purchased wheels and tires from them last March, a special staff of trainers were brought in to train the Kansas City locations staff at the time, so decent retailing expertise was there.

Today, the same management and mostly the same front end employees are the same ones I dealt with sixteen months ago. I suspect your new store will be staffed similarly.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
After all that you should have just said OK and bought the 16"...

Then when they come in and say "these won't fit, you have 18" wheels" just nod knowingly and say "That is what I have been trying to tell you"...

Alternately, you could say "impossible, it is not in your configurator".

Now that would have been funny!

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
... "impossible, it is not in your configurator".

love it! Not only do I have non-stock wheels, it's lowered 3" with V70R sway bars. Here's a pic just for fun:

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nowadays they won't install tires that aren't listed as approved alternative size, or have different speed rating or load rating from OEM. It's part of corporate trying to limit their liability, and I really can't blame them. We live in a very litigious society.

Well, if Tire Rack can do it, the rest of these guys can. I'm not saying they should sell him something with the wrong speed or load rating. It's shops like this that make me wish I still had my tire changing equipment. Even without it, I can still toss wheels in the back of the F-150 and have them put something on.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Well, if Tire Rack can do it, the rest of these guys can.

The difference is that Tire Rack does not actually install the tires on your car, so they don't take responsibility for what you do with the tires that you buy from them.

Just bought 4 tires for my pickup this week from DTD. This was probably the best experience that I have had of my five previous trips to Discount Tire.

Had them delivered to house free, walked in with the paperwork and they simply installed them without fuss or muss.

Only two issues were 1) with the credit card that I got on line to get the additional $60. and their "system" that did not "recognize" it, even though the order was charged to it and 2) the installer who chased me across the parking lot because "he wanted to talk to me about my wheels." I told him the truck had 4 on it and they worked perfectly fine. He then said that "he had Cragers that would look great on it." My response was "good for you." Didn't particularly appreciate that interaction.

However, I did appreciate the price. Think I may go the DTD route in the future and bypass the purchase in the store, as long as free shipping is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back