Found a nice old Jeep Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spotted a nice older 96' Jeep Cherokee 4X4 with the 4.0L engine. It has auto, AC and that's it. Has a nice clean interior. The used car dealer is asking $2500. Don't know the mileage. I'm a semi truck mechanic and can pretty much fix anything. So will it depreciate anymore if it's kept in good condition? Anything to look out for when I check it over tomorrow?
21ait6b.jpg

It's a piece of junk. You should hide it until I can get down there to buy it for $2500! That would sell for $5K EASILY here in NY.

Mechanically, you're not going to wear out one of those. It either has a very good Toyota manual transmission or an EXCELLENT toyota automatic transmission (if 4L I6) engines.

If it starts and runs, no CEL and the steering feels tight ... you're getting it for a steal.

If it doesn't have a stock temp gauge find a way to put one in or read the OBDII stream. My work had one and it sludged up the radiator and blew the engine... just had an overheat light, and by then it was too late.

Since it appears to have rocker panels, it seems like a unicorn in the rust belt. Make sure they're metal and not bondo-glass.

I had a 97 for a very long time and it was basically bulletproof. A few little things here and there needed some work but it just kept going and going.

RUST! Rockers, quarters, and floors are the trouble spots.

Check the rear axle: if it's a Dana 35, check for oil seepage from where the axle tubes meet the centersection. (If it has ABS, it's a Dana 35.) If it gets hot in traffic, make sure the electric fan works.

If it has a heater core (or A/C evaporator) leak, be aware that the replacement is an absolutely brutal all-day swearfest involving dismantling the entire dashboard.

Oooooooh nice a classic looks to be in great shape. Looks like a plain jane version though make sure it is 4wd.

If it is what it appears to be worth every penny probably more IMO.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Looks too good to be true.

So true. The picture looks like it was taken in the 90's!

226K is gettin' there. Sold my sister's '99 w/171K.
Change hoses if you buy it.
I recommend new grommets, PCV elbows and likely the suction tap-off (fine hose from intake to orifice elbow as well as fresh rubber tubing on the fresh air side.
Maybe a valve cover.

Seems more cluttered underhood than my sister's.

What's that actuation can beside the battery? Kira

No big deal...mileage on those really doesn't mean much. If it hasn't been done, might need a water pump soon. (About an hour job.)

They seems to last if rust does not eat them. Check even under carpet beyond wheel wells. They seem to rot in New England.

Looks good. Aside from the usual checks, and a test drive, as others said check for Bondo in all the typical rust spots. I take a magnet with me when checking out cars, just in case the body work was good.

Originally Posted By: Kira

What's that actuation can beside the battery? Kira

Are you talking about the cruise servo?

Someone really took care of that Jeep. Was there a CB antenna attached to the RR corner? Was this a commercial vehicle or did it just belong to someone into amateuer radio?

SE model wouldn't have come with carpet and a tac. I'm guessing it was not a fleet vehicle (police, gas) because they probably wouldn't have paid extra for a tac and carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back