Is not leaking oil changing the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a car is leaking a quart of oil a month, is this not continuously changing the oil? Is a periodic drain and refill necessary?

Don in Colorado

I don't know if the drain and fill would be strictly necessary, but i would recommend changing the filter once or twice a year as a minimum...

You just asked if you need to change a car's oil... think about that. There's never an excuse to not change a car's oil. At least not yet.

Yes it would be similar to changing the oil but the filter would need to be changed at a reasonable interval. Probably once a year or by the mileage recommended by the manufacturer in the manual.

Might be a good idea to drain the pan once every few years to remove any build up sitting in the pan.

Have you heard of ATP205? It's worked miracles on many vehicles. One of the very few additives I would recommend.

Thanks for the replies and link to a previous discussion. This is for my grandson's 2000 Subaru Outback he bought for $1,000. 168k mi and some rust damage and fuel fill problems suggest it is not worth replacing the offending seal or gasket. Just a transportation car while he is in school but worth keeping the engine in good working order.

Originally Posted By: horse123
You just asked if you need to change a car's oil... think about that. There's never an excuse to not change a car's oil. At least not yet.

He IS changing the cars oil....about once every 4.5 months.....just slap in a new filter and once a year, change the oil too.

Change the oil every 3 years. Filter every 1 year if its a Fram Ultra, other filters every 6 months.

If you just keep topping off the oil you'll be sure to concentrate the bad stuff and keep it in your oil instead of draining it away. If making the oil as contaminated as you possibly can is your goal then just keep adding oil to keep the level in the normal range.

You're oil will probably get thicker as well.

If you lose patients and want to speed up the process of wearing out your engine just pour in a quart of laundry bleach and make sure your auto club membership is paid up if you don't like walking.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you just keep topping off the oil you'll be sure to concentrate the bad stuff and keep it in your oil instead of draining it away. If making the oil as contaminated as you possibly can is your goal then just keep adding oil to keep the level in the normal range.

If you lose patients and want to speed up the process of wearing out your engine just pour in a quart of laundry bleach and make sure your auto club membership is paid up if you don't like walking.

Nothing but pure bunk.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Change the oil every 3 years. Filter every 1 year if its a Fram Ultra, other filters every 6 months.

Agreed...

Unless the engine has become a mini refinery, contaminants in the oil are leaked out along with the oil... Anything large enough to settle, should be caught in the filter...

Originally Posted By: Lubener

Nothing but pure bunk.

Where am I wrong?

I agree with TFB1,-- "... contaminants in the oil are leaked out along with the oil... Anything (particulates) large enough to settle, should be caught in the filter...". Concentration of contaminates would occur if the oil loss were from blow by past the rings.

Depends if it is burning or leaking. Leaking contaminants go with it, burning probably not. Oils filters is designed to catch particles that are in the oil.

So if you're correct then I could just drain off a quart every thousand miles or so and add a quart. Then change the filter every year and my engine will last a couple of hundred thousand miles.

You should keep the good ideas coming.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Depends if it is burning or leaking. Leaking contaminants go with it, burning probably not. Oils filters is designed to catch particles that are in the oil.

C'omon think about it... Oil is ONLY burned when it's inside the combustion chamber, at that point the contaminants(and likely smoke) exit through the exhaust...

So if you're correct then I could just drain off a quart every thousand miles or so and add a quart. Then change the filter every year and my engine will last a couple of hundred thousand miles.

In true BITOG logic you could, though most of us prefer to do a complete change...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

In true BITOG logic you could, though most of us prefer to do a complete change...

I think you could. For mitigation, use a full synth, and a great oil filter (change filter every 6 months).... I'd also change it ALL out every 3 or 4 years to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back