Which oil to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Acura Integra Gsr , it burns about 1 litre every 800 km - 1000 km ... I use 5 w 30 oil . What would be a better alternative so I do not burn too much ?

First,
welcome2.gif

What kind of oil are you using now? Castrol? Pennzoil? Walmart brand?

Burning a quart ever 500 miles is awful. You may want to try a high mileage oil.

I'd try a high mileage oil first, why you think its burning so much? Check PVC or other maintenance issues.

I was using the conventional oil I have at work which comes from shell , the car has 255,000 kilometres and I was planning to do the PCV since it has probably not been done ever since people skip that a lot , I was actually going to start using castrol GTX high mileage 10 w 30 to see how it is since we are in summer right now .

It might, but not in a scientific way that we can guarantee. Some vehicles burn Brand X but not Brand Y, and others have different experiences. Some burn one viscosity, others burn another. Some burn whatever you throw at them, like my old LTD did years ago.

Changing your PCV would be a good idea. Castrol HM might be a good option, too. Ideally, you don't do both things at the same time or you don't know what fixed it, but you're trying to fix a problem, not study it to death. Also, note that it will sometimes take a couple OCIs to straighten everything out before the consumption levels off.

Originally Posted By: Diegs
Does the type of oil brand you use actually affect how much you burn ?

That's what many BITOGers say. If it's a very slow burn I might believe it.

However if you have high rate of oil consumption in an old engine, it's usually caused by mechanical wear that switching brands won't fix. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

Well for sure I'll do the PCV sometime this week , I want to say maybe my valves seals aren't sealing properly since when I did my compression test my cylinders had 215 across all 4 cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back